Worst Ever Away Day

Judge Jules

I know we are out of action fir a couple of weeks so here is a bullshit thread to try and keep us amused. What is your worst ever away trip ? I've had a few, 2 trips to the San Giro but thats too easy, a few trips to Airdrie, Perth, Love St was always a grim experience but if i'm honest my 1st trip to Firhill which we got fucked 3-0 is sure right up there for me cause Burns ripped us a new arsehole ! But if i was to really pick my worst away match day it would be believe it or not Inverness ! If you do it as a weekender its all good but as a one dayer its grim as fuck, i've done Caley twice, once as a overnighter which was amazing but the other was an up and down that day job which was fucking horrendous ! Anyway over to you's chaps ??

Remember going to Tynecastle, standing on the open terrace in torrential rain all afternoon and getting an absolute spanking. I think it was 4-0.

Utterly miserable day.

I also remember going to Dundee Utd and Utd scored as we were queuing up to get into the match. We paid in were going up the stairs and there was another big cheer, 2-0 before we had even taken our seats. The leg room in the old stand at Tannadice is atrocious and being tall I had the back of wooden chairs jamming into my knees for 90 minutes. I think we lost 3-0 in the end. It wasn't cold, grey and rainy though so not as bad as the Hearts one!

• Like 1

Remember going to Tynecastle, standing on the open terrace in torrential rain all afternoon and getting an absolute spanking. I think it was 4-0.

Utterly miserable day.

I remember it well. It was in the Scottish Cup, the season before we won it.

That was the period when Hearts were at their most detestable. Henry Smith, Walter Kidd, Craig Levein, Dave McPherson, Gary MacKay, John Robertson et all.

We had a huge support that day too. I'm sure I can remember the guys behind the GLF fanzine distributing red cards for the 'Well fans to wave at Walter Kidd.

Horrible day.

That was the period when Hearts were at their most detestable. Henry Smith, Walter Kidd, Craig Levein, Dave McPherson, Gary MacKay, John Robertson et all.

We had a huge support that day too. I'm sure I can remember the guys behind the GLF fanzine distributing red cards for the 'Well fans to wave at Walter Kidd.

Horrible day.

Not the one I was thinking off. I didn't start going to away games until I got a student grant so that was '92 at the earliest.

I think it might have been the Gilles Rousset era Hearts team so that might be roughly the same period as the McLeish Catastrophe Seasons.

Glad I wasn't at that one you mentioned, once was enough!

EDIT. Did a wee bit investigating, think it was the 4-1 defeat on 28th December 1996. We took the lead through Tommy Coyne and then lost 4-1 with John Robertson scoring twice, and Jim Hamilton and David Weir getting the others. We also lost 4-0 around the same time but it was a midweek match and I think the match I'm thinking off was played in 'daylight' if you could call it that!

As a couple of guys have already mentioned, the Scottish Cup gubbing at Tynecastle (1990 I think) was the worst for me. The fact that it was pissing down, we got soaked behind the goals, we took a big support through and I think it was 4-0 with about 40 minutes left to play.

if i'm honest my 1st trip to Firhill which we got fucked 3-0 is sure right up there for me cause Burns ripped us a new arsehole !

I think that was possibly my first game I went to myself when I was about 14...got the public transport from Strathaven for it. Absolutely fucking woeful game I remember, with quite a big away crowd.

As a couple of guys have already mentioned, the Scottish Cup gubbing at Tynecastle (1990 I think) was the worst for me. The fact that it was pissing down, we got soaked behind the goals, we took a big support through and I think it was 4-0 with about 40 minutes left to play.

We got cuffed 3-0 in the league the following week at Tynecastle as well, I seem to recall.

Utterly miserable day.

A famous one that. Shortly after that, I remember reading

If you took all the Motherwell scarves bought in the close season and laid them end to end.....It would still be raining at Tynecastle.

Did we not take a big crowd to McDairmid? - 5-0

the five nil was billy davies' first game in charge. George o'boyle scored from the halfway line. We beat rangers in our next game so it was quickly forgotten.

There was a year we played killie in the scottish cup on the saturday and i walked into the ground just as kris boyd was putting them two nil up. We went back down there on the wednesday for one of the worst games ever with barely a shot until dubourdeaux decided to give away a penalty by punching a killie player while holding the ball.

The next game after the 2005 league cup final was grim. Away to inverness midweek and they had the game wrapped up in 20 minutes. One of those games where you wonder stupid you must be to have travelled 500 miles for it.

There was a year we played killie in the scottish cup on the saturday and i walked into the ground just as kris boyd was putting them two nil up. We went back down there on the wednesday for one of the worst games ever with barely a shot until dubourdeaux decided to give away a penalty by punching a killie player while holding the ball.

The Dubourdoux red card was in 2003 when we lost 1-0 the midweek after we had beat them 1-0 in the cup. After the cup game we'd to drive back down to Killie that night to secure the release of one of our party who invaded the pitch after Faddy's penalty goal.

Similar thing happened at Killie in 2005 when we lost 2-0 on successive Saturdays. On the second game my car broke down half way there so we arrived just as Boyd put them 2-0 up. We decided to about turn and just about made it home only to have to head back down to find a mobile phone someone had lost when we broke down earlier!

Ps, it was the same guy who got lifted and lost his phone. Won't name him but he's got a tash ;-)

A few come to mind. The hearts cup game as mentioned was particularly bad. The year before I think we lost 2nil at dens in the cup. Similar story, huge crowd up and 2 nil down very early on. We were taking massive crowds in the cup in those days because of the free edenvale buses.

Losing 4-1 at first division Raith rovers a couple of months after winning the cup was also hard to take.

In terms of scariest days, a few at Easter road spring to mind. Remember going up early in the season round about 85 or 86 in the league cup. We scored early and eventually lost 6-1. Trouble before during and after the game. 88 was the same in the Scottish cup.

Fuck I used to hate Easter road!

Horrible day.

Oh yes remember it well horrible day the worst for me too