Season 2013-14 Financial Implications

Goggles & Flippers

With the ICT result the other night and a few comments made in posts by those on here about our points tally likely to be in excess of last year got me thinking back to the AGM and annual accounts released by the club. A bit that stands out is due to our performance last year the club cited that win bonus' accounted for a significant part of us posting a loss.

Obviously paying out plenty of win bonus' means we've been successful on the pitch which no sane fan would be unhappy with. With 6 games left to go, we've already exceeded last years total by 1. The current total exceeds what I imagine the happiest clapperist of us on day one of the season could envisage.

Motherwell 2012/13

P W D L F A GD P

38 18 9 11 67 51 +16 63

So far in season 2013/14 (with six games left to play)

P W D L F A GD P

32 19 3 10 53 47 +6 60

Thought it was worthy of a debate.

did they not say it was , the generous league finish bonus scheme, in relation to the much reduced league payment for 2nd place rather than individual game bonus that had the effect?

Besides, this year has seen cuts not seen for many years, sensible, sadly Doncaster failings might still upend the good work

but aye, your not going to get me worrying about winning too many games, that would be like saying maybe we shouldn't bother about European football.......!

It's hard to discuss this topic since I don't really know how the bonus scheme works.

Do the players actually get a win bonus or is it based on points gained, appearances, final league position etc, etc. There are all sorts of variable ways of awarding bonuses. Is it an end of the season bonus, or is it paid out at certain stages in the season or are there weekly bonuses available? I have no idea.

What happened last season was an extraordinary circumstance where the club was caught out by developments elsewhere but I'd imagine they have been a bit more canny this season and the amount of money going out and coming in will be better balanced.

It's hard to discuss this topic since I don't really know how the bonus scheme works.

Do the players actually get a win bonus or is it based on points gained, appearances, final league position etc, etc. There are all sorts of variable ways of awarding bonuses. Is it an end of the season bonus, or is it paid out at certain stages in the season or are there weekly bonuses available? I have no idea.

What happened last season was an extraordinary circumstance where the club was caught out by developments elsewhere but I'd imagine they have been a bit more canny this season and the amount of money going out and coming in will be better balanced.

The players do indeed get a win bonus. So perversely the more successful we are (this season) the more there is a strain on our finances. It probably evens itself out once the prize money comes in, but if we finish 2nd we will not see that till the summer and next season, all the while win bonuses are being paid out in the present.

Nice problem to have all the same...

The players do indeed get a win bonus. So perversely the more successful we are (this season) the more there is a strain on our finances. It probably evens itself out once the prize money comes in, but if we finish 2nd we will not see that till the summer and next season, all the while win bonuses are being paid out in the present.

Nice problem to have all the same...

Yes that's correct. We get paid an instalment for finishing 6th fairly soon (clubs finishing in the lower half get nought). Any balance is then paid after the season finishes.

Good to see a mature debate about club finances these days compared to years gone by when some posters constantly asked where the club's cash was going and why we weren't making a fat profit every year. That's said the club is now far more open about this than it used to be.

Yes that's correct. We get paid an instalment for finishing 6th fairly soon (clubs finishing in the lower half get nought).

I assume you mean in the top six, as opposed to sixth, 'cause I got news for you - we're 2nd equal (or 3rd if you want to be pedantic)

Why only the top 6, are the bottom six undeserving of assistance?, or do they cease to have overheads after the split. If true that is utterly criminal and discriminatory

That true Kmcalpin?

I assume you mean in the top six, as opposed to sixth, 'cause I got news for you - we're 2nd equal (or 3rd if you want to be pedantic)

Why only the top 6, are the bottom six undeserving of assistance?, or do they cease to have overheads after the split. If true that is utterly criminal and discriminatory

That true Kmcalpin?

Because the minimum place that each team can finish in the top 6 is 6th. In terms of cashflow and planning for next season, the advance payment could be vital to some teams.

I can't remember the reason why or who gets a payment first but I've been at more than one meeting (MFC AGM and Well Society related) where the club have openly commented on the fact there is a different payment date structure for the top and bottom halves of the league.

The very fact that the club had to go to the Well Society for funds last year to cover shortfalls until the next SPL payment was received, was in part down to that payment structure.

That true Kmcalpin?

Yes, just as Dodge says. The lowest we can finish is 6th ie top six. I agree that this distribution of cash seems ludicrous but I suppose you could reasonably ask why member clubs don't complain about it.

Historically, Bottom six get their full payment months before top six

Been commented on at many meetings that finishing top six whilst more rewarding is a financial chore for clubs low on cash and without credit facilities

The change to SPFL could have ironed out some of the difficulties, no doubt we'll find out in years to come

Yes, just as Dodge says. The lowest we can finish is 6th ie top six. I agree that this distribution of cash seems ludicrous but I suppose you could reasonably ask why member clubs don't complain about it.

Totally. I suppose I really shouldn't be surprised at the way our clubs carry out their business, or the logic. Ludicrous? - you said it.