Dundee Utd V Motherwell 13/08/14

Yabba's Turd

A fit Motherwell would not be a match for a fit Utd. Last season they dismantled us and produced some of the best football we witnessed. Apart from Albion Rovers of course.I just hope that we don't try and be all defensive and actually play two forwards up front. It's amazing what that can achieve. A draw would be more than satisfactory.

Well we certainly go to Tannadice with a low expectation level amongst our supporters that's for sure.

I hope the team don't go with a "beaten before we've even set off" mentality however painful the last three games against them were last season. For all the hype that comes with any Dundee Utd side that put a couple of decent results together remember that this mob only registered their first clean sheet of 2014 in the league on Sunday and up until this year our record has generally been not to bad at Tannadice, so there's a small measure of hope at least.

May well be ignorance on my part but we know they've made good signings, how? How many of us are close followers of the likes of Sparta Rotterdam, Arka Gdynia and Hull City reserves? Maybe they are, maybe but United are right up there with our friends in the north east when it comes to platitudes bestowed upon them, sometimes without foundation, so I'm always a little wary of believing the hype.

As for us, it's kind of ironic that just a couple of weeks after many reckoned we needed more games, we could probably be doing with a free midweek to allow those who are struggling a few extra days to recover.

It's going to be extremely difficult to get a result certainly, but not quite the cast iron certain defeat being painted.

• Like 1

Hoping McCall and Lasley et co, can evoke the stuff they released on Boxing day, when we weren't expecting much and Battled to win the game.

51.Dan Twardzik

03.Steven Hammell

04.Simon Ramsden

05.Shaun Hutchinson

20.Fraser Kerr

08.Paul Lawson)

14.Keith Lasley

18.Stuart Carswell

25.Lionel Ainsworth

09.John Sutton

24.Henri Anier

Played that day, and the midfield worked their socks off

I reckon we could put a similar team out and employ the same , stodgy but needs must game plan.

we need the outball and the speed to break.

Id take a point right now, but football has been known to reward endeavour

Dundee United at their best were undoubtedly the 2nd best team in Scotland last year but they finished down the league because they were incredibly inconsistent and didn't show their best as often as us or Aberdeen. Sadly they had a knack of turning it on against us and we had a knack of turning up with a few injured when we played them. Sadly it looks like the same could happen again on Wednesday night. If we can keep them quiet for 20 minutes though their fans might get restless because expectation undoubtedly went up a notch down Tannadice Street the moment the full time whistle went at Aberdeen. Agree with previous poster though, a similar shape to Aberdeen at Boxing Day is our best chance of success if we can shoehorn our fit guys into something resembling it.

This is going to be incredibly difficult but if we can defend well and set out the right tactics dont see why we cant compete. Going for 1-1 (ainsworth)

Would play;

Twardzik

Reid Kerr McManus Angol

carswell (DM)

lasley vigurs(CM)

ainsworth Law (Wingers)

Erwin or Sutton (I think Erwins Mobility would be best suited but doubt sutton will be dropped)