Motherwell V St Johnstone 30/08/14

Yabba's Turd

Well Ainsworth was only half fit in a couple of games and Ojamaa, by his own admission, was lacking a full pre-season. Law, has never played at this level and could take a few more weeks to get up to the required fitness level.

Most of Hamilton's players have never played at this level and they look fit enough.

Our shit start can be traced back to our pre season or lack of, we should have had more proper friendlies not closed door kick abouts and the 'training camp' in Portugal was pretty much a wee holiday for the players.Most of them have come back short of fitness and in a league where there's not much between a lot of teams that makes a big difference.

• Like 2

the 'training camp' in Portugal was pretty much a wee holiday for the players.

...and what evidence is that based on? It seems to be a common train of thought on here that we did nothing in Portugal and it was a holiday. I find that very hard to believe.The reports were double training sessions were the order of the day. We also have been in Portugal before and nobody questioned it when we had a decent start.

Are we basing the 'holiday' idea on the fact we posted a couple of youtube videos of the players not training and having a bit of fun? Or is it just a knee jerk reaction and assumption/guess to the poor start to the season and apparent lack of match fitness?

Don't get me wrong - I do agree in general about what you say around why we have had a poor start to the season but a holiday? I think not.

Most of Hamilton's players have never played at this level and they look fit enough.

Well guys like Scotland and Antoine-Courier didn't look that fit last season, never mind this one. However, the step up to the SPFL from the Championship is much smaller than the step up from the 5th tier of English football to the SPFL (despite what the English might have you believe).

Plus Law's club went part-time at the end of the 2012-2013 season.

So yes, I think part time Conference Premier to SPFL is just a wee bit more of a leap than Scottish Championship to SPFL.

Our shit start can be traced back to our pre season or lack of, we should have had more proper friendlies not closed door kick abouts and the 'training camp' in Portugal was pretty much a wee holiday for the players.Most of them have come back short of fitness and in a league where there's not much between a lot of teams that makes a big difference.

I don't think you are giving enough thought to how long and grueling each season is for a small squad like ours and time it takes to recover physically and mentally. We were back playing competitive football almost 3 weeks before the majority of the other teams in the league. The players will still be carrying wee niggles and we can't afford to risk players when there is still 30 odd games to play. A squad like ours has got to be very carefully managed.

I don't think you are giving enough thought to how long and grueling each season is for a small squad like ours and time it takes to recover physically and mentally. We were back playing competitive football almost 3 weeks before the majority of the other teams in the league. The players will still be carrying wee niggles and we can't afford to risk players when there is still 30 odd games to play. A squad like ours has got to be very carefully managed.

I don't buy into that sort of thinking that it's been a long hard season and players need months to recover.They had a month off to recover and the least that should be expected of professional footballers is to keep themselves fit during the break.Fair enough they won't be match sharp, more friendlies would've helped with that but when 3/4 of our key players are knackered after an hour then there's clearly something wrong.

I think it's based on us blowing out our arse every match this season.

I don't know what we did in Portugal but as I've already said constantly giving the ball away and chasing games doesn't help matters.

My question was more about the Portugal/holiday element. You will see from my previous posts I agree our training in pre season was not fitness based enough but to call the Portugal trip a holiday with no basis is off the mark and jumping to a conclusion based on no evidence.

Giving this game a miss. I've never known an injury crisis like this at the start of a season in all my years all because we played on an astro turf pitch in europe? Unbelievable there's got to be something wrong with our training. :wallbash:

There's certainly something wrong with your reading, because nobody ever said all our injuries were because of an astroturf pitch in Europe.

the AccIes players are going to personal trainers after training to improve their fitness and have been doing strength and conditioning training too. Patrick have employed a PT for this season for S&C training. Cummings has just started PT because he believes he could be fitter. McNamara has completely changed United's training regime because he was unhappy with the squads fitness and training methods.

We're miles behind every team in the league on fitness for some reason.