Celtic V Motherwell 21/09/14

Yabba's Turd

8-0 you say?

My crystal balls didn't work this time.whistling.gif

But on a serious note that was a superb result and totally unexpected, by the overwhelming majority of Motherwell fans too I'd guess.

Not many sides will go there and get anything so we have to be very pleased with our point today.

• Like 1

Mightily enjoyable stuff.

I got lucky with an invite to hospitality in the home end so had a very enjoyable afternoon all round drinking their beer and eating their scran, even if it meant sitting amongst them.

We set up similarly to the the last time I was at Parkhead, the Hateley missed penalty afternoon, which served us pretty well that day too. Celtic were pretty lethargic and arguably a wee disrespectful with their line up according to our Celtic minded host. Either way we grew into the game when it became clear early on they were going to have some difficulty breaking us down.

It was a lovely well worked goal. Superb run and cross from Reid with a delightful finish from Sutton. Was quite an effort keeping the emotions in check! Rather pathetically I think turned to my mate and went 'Oh my' with a big cheeser or something equally horrendous.

Sutton inexplicably fell to the floor when it seemed easier to tap the ball into the net and we really should have had a penalty from a clear hand ball too so all in all a great first half with Celtic offering little.

Second half was much the same. Even bringing Brown and Commons I felt relatively comfortable. Sure by that stage we were offering virtually nothing offensively but Dan was hardly pulling off world class saves every attack from them.

Then they got their penalty. Looked soft at first look and that seemed to be backed up by a quick glance on Twitter from others looking on and then I felt on edge. But the momentum they had having got the goal petered out although Twardzik did make a couple of very good saved in the last half an hour.

But all in all a great and unexpected point. Let's keep building upon last week and this week's result now!

Having watched the highlights....

What a sitter Sutton missed just after he scored.

We had a great shout for a penalty and celtics was soft as hell. A total joke in fact. I'm surprised I'm not angrier actually but I've seen it all before I suppose.

It was a soft penalty , but there was a hand on browns back .Easy decision for the ref .

The handball by Deneyer is a worse decision than the penalty he gave Celtic although I think he got both completely wrong. Unfortunately it looked like his view of the handball was blocked by another Celtic player. Law did brush Brown who was slightly off balance from the tug from Lasley. Disappointing he gave it but not an unjustifiable error.

Referee presumably played advantage for the Lasley challenge, in which case he should have pulled it back for a free kick outside the box when Brown lost his balance in the box.

If he thought a second offence had occurred in the box he had no option but to give the penalty, whether Brown was already off balance due to earlier contact or not. Only if he didn't think that should he have pulled it back.

This was the Scotsman's take on it from the "Best and the Worst" of this week's SPFL (ignoring the fact it wasn't Kerr, it pretty much sums it up for me):

THE best and worst from Scottish football’s weekend.

1) Celtic were on course to be beaten by Motherwell on Sunday until they were generously given a rather dubious second half penalty by referee Brian Colvin, prompting a collective rolling of the eyes from every supporter not of a hooped persuasion.

There is no doubt that Celtic (and Rangers) benefit from more decisions than their opponents, just in the same way Real Madrid, Manchester United and Milan do in their respective leagues. It’s a flaw in human nature that goes beyond conscious thinking. Would Motherwell have received the same penalty at the other end? Of course not, but then the voices shouting for it would barely have been audible. The roar in the referee’s ear causes him to consider and, ultimately, make the wrong decision.

In this case I also believe he was influenced by Keith Lasley’s attempt to foul just before the penalty “challenge”. The possibility of an infringement was already on his mind before Fraser Kerr lent his arm into Brown. He should have taken a couple of seconds to consider what had occurred. Just like he did before refusing to award Motherwell a first half penalty for a clear handball by Jason Denayer. Yes it’s ball-to-hand, but he’s deliberately making himself a bigger target by spreading his arms out in an ‘unnatural position’.

But hey, don’t worry Motherwell fans, according to Ronny Deila these things even themselves out over the course of the season.

• 2 weeks later...