Managers

ONeils40yarder

Have we ever had a manager that has been completely accepted by the support?

I think McGhee is a really good manager and definately the best we have had since McLean, but some fans can't seem to take to him. Sometimes he picks what we think are the wrong tactics, sometimes he over-deliberates on his love for Smeltic, but I believe he has done far more good than bad for the Club and some of the moaning on here and at the Stadium on matchdays is way over the top. Some people need to remember where we were when he took over from 'Super' Mo.

Fans are fickle, and even the Old Firm fans both seem to dis-like their managers just now, but in McGhee I think we have the right man at the helm and he deserves our full backing.

Yep agree with that ON40Y. We won't realise what we have until he's gone. We might strike luck again - but by my reckoning for every good manager we get we've to suffer 4 or 5 numpties.

I think we have done ok with managers over the years, but McGhee is definately cut and paste above the rest and stands just behind McLean in my eyes - going on the time I've followed the club. Here's my view on the gaffers I've seen at the helm...

McLean - Legend! Led us to that great cup win and built the team that saw us finish second in the league.

McLeish - Not Bad. Although we finished 3rd under McLeish, I basically think he took McLean's team and screwed it up. Good showings against Dortmund earned him kudos, but will never forgive him for leaving us for relegated Hibs.

Kampman - Disaster! Least said the better really.

Davies - Ok. He was in charge at a time when we were splashing the cash, but never really made the most of this and failed to get that Euro spot we craved.

Black - Unproven. I think Black would have led us to some success. His signings were majoritly impressive and had we held out till the summer to see what happened rather than go into administration, who knows what he could have acheived.

Butcher - Good. Despite finishing bottom and luckily avoiding relegation, Butcher led us to a CIS Cup Final, Scottish Cup semi-final and pulled the team together after administartion - blooding many youngsters.

Malpas - Shocking! Negative, boring, useless! Makes Kampman look good.

McGhee - Very Good. Re-invented a confindence stricken team that avoided relegation and led them to the UEFA cup playing an attractive style of football that was a joy to watch.

So, I think we have done well with managers. Obviously there are two black spots in Malpas and Kampman, but I'd give the rest pass marks.

I would actually say that Kampman was a necessary evil. At the time he took over, we had a seriously ageing squad. Guys like Falconer, Martin and Coyne might well have got another contract under a Scottish manager who was more aware of their record. Given what these guys achieved after they left Motherwell, getting rid of them was a wise move. A move that, had we gone straight from McLeish to Davies, we might not have made. OK, Kampman's signings were not great, but he performed a service...

totally agree with you melvin. Kaampman gets a lot of stick but it was the beginning of a transitional period for the well and he had the task of clearing up the mess mcliesh left in his trail. Not old enough to remember the mclean days so for me McGhee is definately the best manager I've seen at motherwell. Butcher was good and gave the club and its fans hope through a terrible time but he took the well as far as he could.

I also worry about motherwell fc post mcghee. I just dont know if we could get another manager that could do as well with the limited resources we have.

McLeish - Not Bad. Although we finished 3rd under McLeish, I basically think he took McLean's team and screwed it up. Good showings against Dortmund earned him kudos, but will never forgive him for leaving us for relegated Hibs.

This is perhaps the only part I'd disagree with. I was delighted when he left. I would like to thank Hibs for taking him off our hands when they did, although I wish they, or anyone, could have done it a lot sooner.

Even my Mum hated him because she was sick of my Dad, Uncle and Me coming back form games complaining about him. And she hadn't a clue who he was. Even now when he comes up on SSN or something she wants to smash his face in.

How many managers could finish 2nd and take Motherwell to Europe and still be as hated as this copper bawed ring piece.?

I think we have done ok with managers over the years, but McGhee is definately cut and paste above the rest and stands just behind McLean in my eyes - going on the time I've followed the club. Here's my view on the gaffers I've seen at the helm...

McLean - Legend! Led us to that great cup win and built the team that saw us finish second in the league.

Davies - Ok. He was in charge at a time when we were splashing the cash, but never really made the most of this and failed to get that Euro spot we craved.

Black - Unproven. I think Black would have led us to some success. His signings were majoritly impressive and had we held out till the summer to see what happened rather than go into administration, who knows what he could have acheived.

Butcher - Good. Despite finishing bottom and luckily avoiding relegation, Butcher led us to a CIS Cup Final, Scottish Cup semi-final and pulled the team together after administartion - blooding many youngsters.

Malpas - Shocking! Negative, boring, useless! Makes Kampman look good.

McGhee - Very Good. Re-invented a confindence stricken team that avoided relegation and led them to the UEFA cup playing an attractive style of football that was a joy to watch.

So, I think we have done well with managers. Obviously there are two black spots in Malpas and Kampman, but I'd give the rest pass marks.

Are you mad I was delighted when he left, I'll never forgive him for ruining the best Motherwell team I've ever seen. Albeit I will concede he was somewhat shafted with the bosman ruling but even before that we were well on the slippery slope and he squandered a relative fortune on a bunch of diddies!

McLean was a legend, big Terry was excellent for us after that difficult first year which still had great times with beating both OF, cuffing Hearts and the run to scottish cup semi final.

The rest are varying degrees of forgetable though Davies has done well since learning from his experiences at fir Park.

Take the points on McLeish, and I agree. Point I was making is his money grabbing antics led to him leaving us for a team that has just been relegated. While I was glad at the time of the change, in hindsight his replacement was a shocker.

And he will always be the guy that signed Van Der Gaag - my absolute favourite player while growing up!

Point I was making is his money grabbing antics led to him leaving us for a team that has just been relegated.

The thing is though when he left for them they hadn't been relegated. It was still between them and us for going down.

He left, they went down, we stayed up and the best bit of all was the hammering Hibs got of us during that transition period. That helped us stay up.

Alex McLeish oversaw a 1-0 victory against us when we played them after he moved. I assume that 6-2 drubbing at Fir Park is the game you mean? If so that cost Jim Duffy his job and McLeish moved shortly afterwards, not that anyone really bothered. Mild indifference around Motherwell I seem to recall.

Mark Mcghee is right up there for me and its between him and Tommy Maclean , ok his ego can be a bit big and his tactics/substitutions sometimes strange. But I thank him for Nancy and getting me to Europe for the first time with the team I love

In fact I'd love to see the Well Boys/EastEnd Baby Crew/Supporters trust get a huge banner made to show our appreciation of the guy!

Mark Mcghee is right up there for me and its between him and Tommy Maclean , ok his ego can be a bit big and his tactics/substitutions sometimes strange. But I thank him for Nancy and getting me to Europe for the first time with the team I love

In fact I'd love to see the Well Boys/EastEnd Baby Crew/Supporters trust get a huge banner made to show our appreciation of the guy!

Can he be a legend if he hasn't had the hatred McLean received in the late eighties(?), early nineties? I have never in my life seen someone get so much stick and be called a legend before. Even in 1990/91 season.

Can he be a legend if he hasn't had the hatred McLean received in the late eighties(?), early nineties? I have never in my life seen someone get so much stick and be called a legend before. Even in 1990/91 season.

Course he can. Just ask Melvin Bragg to post a selection of his McGhee titbits, and you will see there is definatly 'well fans who would be glad to see the back of him.

Sorry Matt, that is indeed the one. Forgot about the 1-0 :lol:

I rmember it only too well. wife was due to have our 2nd on the same day meaning I had to change my plans to go. Glad I did in a way but wee Clare T. arived in the early hours that night so I could have made it. Never mind, something to celebrate at least.