Jake Taylor

Kmcalpin

And a ridiculous dive to earn himself a deserved red card. Hopefully we have an option to send him back early.

The reading fans said he can't play centrally in a 2 man centre midfield and if playing 442 is better playing wide. Which suggests he wasn't scouted properly by the scouts and manager because that's not what we need. We need a competent central midfielder to replace Pearson and need one quick. Think taylors been hung out to dry

The reading fans said he can't play centrally in a 2 man centre midfield and if playing 442 is better playing wide. Which suggests he wasn't scouted properly by the scouts and manager because that's not what we need. Think he's been hung out to dry

Very hard to say. I've now watched him in 2 games and am no wiser. On both occasions he was totally anonymous. He's certainly not a hard defensive player but by the same token he's not an energetic box to box player. Just not sure where fits in.

Facts:

Taylor has played three games.

Chalmers also played midfield against Dundee United. We lost.

Lasley has been one of the few players to get pass marks from the majority of the support in most games this season.

True Chalmers played against United but was substituted after 66 minutes when we went to a midfield 2 and 2 wingers. We the proceeded to loose a game that we were in total control when we had 3 in the middle.

As for Lasley getting pass marks yes I agree but Taylor is no worse or better than Lasley when we play 2 in the middle.

It is no coincidence that we have lost vital goals ( that have cost us points) in the last 1/3 of every game with only 2 midfielders being out numbered for 60 minutes

As I said previously Lasley is now only good for 60-65 minutes and it in the last 1/3 of the game when our midfielders stop closing down opponents and stop matching runners that defence comes under pressure and we seem to concede soft goals

As much as Chalmers had done nothing spectacular against Dundee United, I felt the game turned against us when he went off, although the changes United made played a part too.

Probably bringing on Dom Thomas on the right left law a bit exposed, despite Thomas looking exciting going forward.

As much as Chalmers had done nothing spectacular against Dundee United, I felt the game turned against us when he went off, although the changes United made played a part too.

Probably bringing on Dom Thomas on the right left law a bit exposed, despite Thomas looking exciting going forward.

For me, things didn't fall to bits until Leitch was replaced by Clarkson. What shape we had was lost right then and it was no surprise we lost a goal a couple of minutes later...
  • Like 2

I think longer term he's been signed to play left of a midfield 3 and/or wide left to provide competition for Marvin/Ainsworth.

Hopefully he's got the bottle to recover from a poor start.

I felt this is how it looked as well. Most of the stuff you read about him has him as a left sided midfielder. The fact that we started the first two games with Chalmers standing in on the left while Johnson filled in on the right while Ainsworth was suspended made me wonder whether we might be a bit light on the left given that Chalmers is also doubling as back-up for Hammell (and presumably McManus). Taylor seemed to me to be a guy to fit in who'd possibly offer a bit more balance than having two rapid wingers. Given Johnson's potential for inconsistency that still seems a legitimate issue.

With no wish to write the guy off on the basis of 3 games, on the face of it (physical build etc) he's no replacement for Pearson and doesn't seem particularly suited to playing the box to box position, given how key that role is in terms of how we're supposedly aiming to play and the fact that Pearson is no stranger to an injury it'd seem evident that the central midfield still needs urgently addressed one way or another. Whether that means playing 3 in the middle or sticking with the 442 and changing personnel we can't really just sit and kick our heels, writing off games simply bemoaning the fact that Pearson's not fit.