Motherwell V Ross County Sat 12 Sep 15:00

Yabba's Turd

McManus's job should be to roll the ball to a midfielder, not to launch 70 yard balls into the corners. Also, too many balls back to the keeper, we should be looking to play the ball forward.

In the 1st half we continually had control of the ball in Ross County half yet passed the ball backwards eventually Ripely would hammer an aimless long ball forward and lose possession happened time and time again.

Also Ripley has the worst distribution that I've witnessed from a professional goalkeeper.

• Like 1

In the 1st half we continually had control of the ball in Ross County half yet passed the ball backwards eventually Rippely would hammer an aimless long ball forward and lose possession happened time and time again.

Also Rippley has to have the worst distribution that I've witnessed from a professional goalkeeper.

Nobody looked for the ball from hand from Ripley.

County were cute enough to restrict that option.

Need to see the goal again but I think someone (Mick?) fell on his arse and we just didn't clear.

You looking for someone to blame for today? Ripleys not your man

Same old same old

Same shape...... Same mistakes.......Same tactics (or lack of them)

When are we going to learn that we cannot play 2 wingers and leave us a man short in midfield

Yes our defenders and goalie kept pumping the ball long ...... But someone has to show for the ball .... Sorry but our 2 midfielders are just not good enough

It is not rocket science but everyone can seè what is happening EXCEPT OUR COACHING STAFF

The only time we strung 3 passes together on the deck we score a goal

• Like 1

Nobody looked for the ball from hand from Ripley.

County were cute enough to restrict that option.

Need to see the goal again but I think someone (Mick?) fell on his arse and we just didn't clear.

You looking for someone to blame for today? Ripleys not your man

Not blaming Ripley it is a team failing that we can't build up any possession without going backwards ultimately playing it back to the keeper who lumps it up the park in a random direction.

Poor performance from both teams I thought. We really struggled to get our impact players involved throughout became frustrated and just seemed to bypass wings and midfield. When the ball got in there we struggled to do much.

For all I thought we had offered little, I was a bit miffed in a game with two bad lots we were going home with nothing thanks to a goal with a blatant foul in the build up.

However the one bit of class appeared. Grimshaw played a great ball to get Johnson on the by line, his cross was delicious and the finish was what it had to be. When you see us playing football like that, you do wonder why we had to put up with the 91 minutes of utter shit that went before it.

I'm on holiday next week but if I read that Taylor is starting and Grimshaw isn't, my phone may be in smithereens on a Polish pavement.

Never a foul and I was about 20 yards away from the foul. Mick fell on his ass, he had a few suspect attempts at clearances one in particular where it was easier to kick it away than stoop down to header it.

I thought the team selection today was very poor.

On current form too many players seem to be getting selected despite very poor starts to the season and despite others having done better when given the chance.

Chalmers>Hammell

Kennedy> Laing

Leitch/Grimshaw>Taylor

McDonald has also been very poor and was deservedly subbed at half time. If he isnt fit he needs to be taken away and given his own pre season to make up for the one he didnt get. He wouldnt be missed for 2-3 weeks on current form.

Tactically we seem all over the place. We cant afford to keep surrendering the midfield every week. Lasley is trying his best (I dont agree that he was anonymous today) but he is being over run without any support from Taylor. Both immediately looked better with the introduction of Grimshaw. I think we need to look at a 3 from here in.

The diagonal long balls mystify me. Im not sure whether this is a tactic or just desperation/poor play from the defenders. We dont have the personnel to make it work so why are we even trying it.

When we get the right players on the pitch and play the ball to feet we look useful but it shouldnt take until the 85th minute to work out.

PS anyone else impressed by big Gardyne? Seen him a few times now and he seems to stand out in their team. Thought he did much better than Jackson Irvine.

Jackson Irvine - Crying out for a player like him!

Terrible team selection today: dropping players that performed and provided optimism (Kennedy, Chalmers); the weakest fullbacks in the league, furthermore the weakest midfield two.

We can't play out from defence, we can't play through central midfield, many players don't compete or hustle as they should.

I actually think we got Ross County in an off week for them; even at that we needed Moult to nick us a point in injury time.

At the start of any season I would be banking on this game as a stick on for 3points at home.

Hopefully numerous changes for next week

Sounds like we were still pish and lucky to scrape a point. From a fixture, as previously stated, that we should be looking on anything less than three points as a disappointment. Shows where we are really. I suppose one point is better than nought and this was the sort of game we would have got pumped three nil in during our worst spell last season. Progress?

Seriously, we seem to be nowhere near addressing the obvious issues affecting the side. Not keen on pressing the panic button, but the clock has to be ticking for a few of our regular starters. Lesley, Hammell and McManus add plenty of experience to the side but are they worth their places based on performance? Their contracts are all up at the end of the season and it must be doubtful if any of them will be offered new deals. If that isn't enough incentive for them then perhaps it is time to see what others have to offer? As for McDonald, he needs to be given a little time to find fitness and played in a position that suites him. The lone striker is a tough position and so is the linking role between that lone striker and the midfield. Like the idea of playing three at the back, why persevere with a system if we do not have the quality of player to play it properly? Time to keep it simple with four four two and only allow ourselves the luxury of one winger. Said winger needs to also sign up to the mantra of "total football" from the early 1970s - "none of us are stars when we don't have the ball". Two sold banks of four and we become harder to break down. Start defending set pieces properly and we will be a lot harder to beat. Then, we will only have to score a couple of times a game to, hopefully , get the wins that will secure our status. That would be progress. I think it is going to be another long, hard season.

• Like 1

I thought the team selection today was very poor.

On current form too many players seem to be getting selected despite very poor starts to the season and despite others having done better when given the chance.

Chalmers>Hammell

Kennedy> Laing

Leitch/Grimshaw>Taylor

McDonald has also been very poor and was deservedly subbed at half time. If he isnt fit he needs to be taken away and given his own pre season to make up for the one he didnt get. He wouldnt be missed for 2-3 weeks on current form.

Tactically we seem all over the place. We cant afford to keep surrendering the midfield every week. Lasley is trying his best (I dont agree that he was anonymous today) but he is being over run without any support from Taylor. Both immediately looked better with the introduction of Grimshaw. I think we need to look at a 3 from here in.

The diagonal long balls mystify me. Im not sure whether this is a tactic or just desperation/poor play from the defenders. We dont have the personnel to make it work so why are we even trying it.

When we get the right players on the pitch and play the ball to feet we look useful but it shouldnt take until the 85th minute to work out.

PS anyone else impressed by big Gardyne? Seen him a few times now and he seems to stand out in their team. Thought he did much better than Jackson Irvine.

Sorry my mistake. It was Boyce I was thinking about. Big no10.....

The long balls 100% were a tactic otherwise the management team would have been screaming at them. We visibly moved away from the previous games of push the full backs high, centre backs to the corner of the 18 yard boxeand play out on the ground. Horrendous choice of tactic given Ross County are one of the biggest teams we have seen so far. When Marvin came on and won a few headers our play did start to get better.

I think Ross County have to be factored into the long ball chat.

When our midfield came short for the ball they where very quickly closed down not allowing them time to turn and play and often having to pass back to the centre backs who in turn launched it. Which is why we needed a 3rd man in there yesterday.

County's work rate and pace of counter attacking play was exceptional at times. Maybe not the greatest quality but bloody hell did they not work their balls off.

• Like 1

Poor performance from both teams I thought. We really struggled to get our impact players involved throughout became frustrated and just seemed to bypass wings and midfield. When the ball got in there we struggled to do much.

For all I thought we had offered little, I was a bit miffed in a game with two bad lots we were going home with nothing thanks to a goal with a blatant foul in the build up.

However the one bit of class appeared. Grimshaw played a great ball to get Johnson on the by line, his cross was delicious and the finish was what it had to be. When you see us playing football like that, you do wonder why we had to put up with the 91 minutes of utter shit that went before it.

I'm on holiday next week but if I read that Taylor is starting and Grimshaw isn't, my phone may be in smithereens on a Polish pavement.

It was the often criticised Lasley that played the great ball to get Johnson on the by line.

beyond that I tend to agree,

but cant quite see that Grimshaw has shown enough to date, to get this guaranteed start many seem to be promoting, especially if we are still going with two in the middle. he certainly showed positives, like a few others we have tried, but we know nothing about his match fitness, his mindset, his capability in a overrun midfield setup, he is however much more worthy that Taylor , who I am struggling to find anything positive from his inclusion , although he is really good at pointing at other players for the ball to get passed elsewhere, instead of making himself available.

First half was abysmal. Shape was all wrong, Moult isolated. Credit to Baraclough second half for finally chopping Skippy and changing things up. Robinson/Johnson and Grimshaw were all impressive off the bench.

Jake Taylor looks either completely off the pace or completely out of position. Ill stick with the former.

First half was shite, second half was much better.

Liam Boyce, their number 10, bossed our defence. Big, strong guy that held the ball up well for them. Jackson Irvine is exactly the type of midfielder we need, strong, direct and full of running. Hopefully Pearson coming back can fill that gap. Taylor is hopeless and I would start Grimshaw in his place next week. Dom Thomas was willing but did the square root of fuck all and I wouldn't be surprised if Marvin finds himself in the starting XI next week. McDonald should have a couple of weeks on the bench in order to give him the kick up the arse he needs. Can Laing head a ball? His timing going up for a header is all wrong. Moult gives everything but I'd like to see him being a bit stronger in holding off defenders in order to bring other players into the game.

All in all, a draw was a fair result I'd say.