Motherwell V Ross County Sat 12 Sep 15:00

Yabba's Turd

Could argue that our strikers not scoring isn't the problem. Fletcher, one in two starts. Moult, three in five starts. Maybe need the rest of the team to start chipping in...

Yeah I would agree. Good to have strikers confident raring to go though.

Could be the difference if the rest of thr team arent scoring. 1 from thebatarying striker and another from 1 off the bench!

I've given up thinking barackough Is Some tactical mastermind, so I'm now just starting to hope that we realise we have no "midfield" and are prepared to forget that idea all together.

Thus: 4-2-4

----------------------------Rippey------------

Kennedy-----McManus----Laing-----Hammell

------------------Lasley------Grimshaw-------

Robinson--------McDonald----Moult------Thomas

Subs:

Twardzik

Watt

Chalmers

Leitch

Cadden

Clarkson

Johnson

Ainsworth

Back to basics, score more than the oppposition

On the face of it Ross County have been a better team than us for a year or so, have decent form going into this match and have built up a decent record against us in recent matches.

We should be looking to win our home games but I think a point from this one wouldn't be too bad a result. Honestly I'd say that I'd expect us to toil in this one if it wasn't for the wildcard element of Liam Grimshaw. It remains unknown how he'll influence the play so it will be interesting to see how he does. Looked tidy enough in the Lasley testimonial but you'd hope he'd push on and show more in a competitive match.

I hope Kieran Kennedy and Dom Thomas keep their place from the last league match as I thought they were our two best players and we'll need to keep an eye on Liam Boyce. I like the look of this guy, little bit of Michael Higdon about him.

I think we need to strengthen the side in the midfield and play narrow.

Rippley

Law. Kennedy. McManus. Chalmers.

Grimshaw, Lasley, Taylor.

McDonald

Robinson. Moult

Subs

Twardzik

Watt

Hammell

Ainsworth

Thomas

Johnson

Leitch

Clarkson

8 Subs? A bench?Or is this a U Boat fleet?

Entirely unsure of how I want us to line up.

A few things I want to see are Thomas keep his place, McDonald play a bit closer to Moult, Laing if he features not to be at right back and our new loan midfielder start. There is a decent if flawed team in there somewhere lets build on a couple of ugly wins and get the season up and running.

I actually think 3 at the back is best option for our current squad.

12 man team definitely a no-go however

With the standard of ref you'd probably get away with it.

Back 3 is a bad idea. Every pro defender says its harder to defend with 3 at the back than 2. Since we can't defend with 2, then I don't fancy our chances if we complicate it.

3 at the back is like zonal marking, if you don't do it properly everyone gets in a muddle and the opposition scores. And I don't think we have a sweeper type player.

Back 3 is a bad idea. Every pro defender says its harder to defend with 3 at the back than 2. Since we can't defend with 2, then I don't fancy our chances if we complicate it.

3 at the back is like zonal marking, if you don't do it properly everyone gets in a muddle and the opposition scores. And I don't think we have a sweeper type player.

It's one of those systems that can seem like a good idea but you frequently see teams falling on their arse trying to play. As an example van Gaal has pretty much abandoned it with Man Utd to go 433. Which isn't to say it can't work but the players definitely need to be exceptionally well drilled for it to work and as you allude to, you need the right players for the roles.

Out of curiosity when was the last time 3 at the back was one of our default formations? Early 90s with McCart, Krivocapic and Martin?