Motherwell V Ross County Sat 12 Sep 15:00

Yabba's Turd

Three at the back only works if you have the personnel capable of playing the system. I seriously doubt that we are currently in that position. When we tried it successfully, with Mio, Martin and McCart, we had players who were intelligent, quick, and good in the air. We also had decent wing backs who could get forward like a winger to support attacks but we're capable of defending their flank. When we were forced to change the players, for whatever reason, and bring in McLeish or, to a lesser extent, Philliben, it generally didn't work as well.

Right now we have no centre half on our books who would fill me with confidence as to their ability to fit into this system, and the same goes for our full backs/wingers as wing backs.

The personnel we currently have are suited to a fairly standard four four two, with perhaps an over abundance of wide players in midfield. That must be the way that the current management/coaching team see us playing.

I personally like the style of play that a proper sweeper can bring to a team, but players of quality in that position are few and far between.

• Like 1

The personnel we currently have are suited to a fairly standard four four two, with perhaps an over abundance of wide players in midfield.

I'd be inclined to agree that the players we have at the moment look more suited to 442. Play offs aside it's the formation that allowed us to find some form last season. It's also telling that the manager said in one of his post-game interviews that he felt Moult was more suited to playing with a partner.

That said I'd also suggest that our recent signings (particularly Grimshaw, Taylor and Robinson) suggest there's an eye on us going 433, with Robinson as an inside right rather than us having 2 out and out wingers. Just as 352/532 was a fashionable system in the early 90s and 4231 is the current popular formation there seem to be an increasing number of teams shifting to 433 so it wouldn't be an entirely surprising development for us.

There's been a lot of talk about a fixation on 4231 but I don't think it's a formation that has worked well for us recently or at the very least we've not looked fluid playing it (which obviously isn't to say it's not worked for us in the past).

It noticeably left Sutton incredibly isolated last season and all too often has left a huge gap between midfield and striker this season with it becoming more of a 451 with McDonald dropping too deep, possibly trying to compensate for Pearson's absence who knows but I wouldn't say it's too much of a stretch to correlate the isolated striker with our poor conversion rate.

The difference between Big Handsome up front and this seasons strikers is that we can dispense with the aimless lump up the park for JS to fail to ever knock down or hold up and lay off. Instead we've got Moult Robinson or Fletcher who are all mobile and happy to run the channels or look to play on the centre halfs shoulder and look for the ball over the top to run on to.

Much has been lauded about the wide men but for me we don't play through the middle nearly often enough. One winger at a time for me, will give us the option to flood the central midfield

Shocker of a team selection.whats the point of signing Grimshaw? Be as well sitting one of our own kids on the bench. Obviously Law,Lasley & McDonald are bulletproof. Feel for Kennedy

Grimshaw has never played a game of first team football in his life. Maybe he needs a week or two to find his feet - like Taylor should have been given.

Poor first half. 3 watched the ball be hit into the net. Really really bad goal to loose. McDonald being doubled up on, Thomas trying too hard little coming off for him. All corners wasted 3rd in particular. County using there pace and playing over top of our midfield. Laing doing well but mcmannus is hit or miss. This really is a dull game and a dull Motherwell.

• Like 2

A hard earned point, however, sadly our lack of goals will only result in another nervous end to the season, and our inability to score more than one will cost us more times than not. I usually sign off with, thank god for Killie, however, after their win today, it’s thank god for Thistle.

• Like 1