Is The Club Heading In The Right Direction ?

Spiderpig

After the dross we had to suffer last season under McCann the club had to change IB was brought in, signed a few players and we eventually got it right in the play offs against Rangers.

At that point I was optimistic of a good season ahead, the club was being restructured, we had new financial investment to bring in players and the squad seemed to be improving.

Now however 8 games in to the season, out of the league cup to a lower league team and looking like we are heading for another relegation fight that optimism has faded fast.

It's looking like the decision to appoint IB was ill advised he looks out of his depth he has been given money to spend but he has not used it wisely. There are also ongoing questions and doubts over the Well society and the exact nature of the deal with Les Hutchison.

So it begs the question are the people running the club up to the job as well, they are the ones who ultimately sanction the cash for IB to sign players ?

We seem to now have a squad of players in which a large number are taking wages and contributing nothing, Taylor, Clarkson, Robinson, etc.

I would like to see the club reducing the squad, quality not quantity, getting a manager in to motivate and get the best from the team and develop our own talent, that's the way forward. But at this point I have doubts that the people running the club are up to it we are off track and it needs corrected asap.

Thoughts and opinions please.

After the dross we had to suffer last season under McCann the club had to change IB was brought in, signed a few players and we eventually got it right in the play offs against Rangers.

At that point I was optimistic of a good season ahead, the club was being restructured, we had new financial investment to bring in players and the squad seemed to be improving.

Now however 8 games in to the season, out of the league cup to a lower league team and looking like we are heading for another relegation fight that optimism has faded fast.

It's looking like the decision to appoint IB was ill advised he looks out of his depth he has been given money to spend but he has not used it wisely. There are also ongoing questions and doubts over the Well society and the exact nature of the deal with Les Hutchison.

So it begs the question are the people running the club up to the job as well, they are the ones who ultimately sanction the cash for IB to sign players ?

We seem to now have a squad of players in which a large number are taking wages and contributing nothing, Taylor, Clarkson, Robinson, etc.

I would like to see the club reducing the squad, quality not quantity, getting a manager in to motivate and get the best from the team and develop our own talent, that's the way forward. But at this point I have doubts that the people running the club are up to it we are off track and it needs corrected asap.

Thoughts and opinions please.

Who the f..k is McCann - so it was him to blame was it? Sorry I know who you meant.

We might be getting a bit more professional off the park but on the park (where it matters most) we are a shambles. Loads of chat around utilising our youth set up and the importance of developing them into assets has been a load of complete bullshit. We are continually overlooking the youth and opting for mediocre players like Taylor.

If we don't go down this season then with Rangers and possibly Hibs coming up then we will be down the following season.

The idea of The 'Well Society is almost dead in the water. We are going to be dropping like a stone down the leagues!

We might be getting a bit more professional off the park but on the park (where it matters most) we are a shambles. Loads of chat around utilising our youth set up and the importance of developing them into assets has been a load of complete bullshit. We are continually overlooking the youth and opting for mediocre players like Taylor.

Hard to say Mitch. For a new manager to utilise a youth set up quickly he has to depend on the achievement of previous incumbents. IF he doesn't rate the youngsters he's been bequeathed or there are individual issues what does he do? Of the current crop, Thomas is not ready to start in my view and he is being used sparingly; Leitch won't make it but is being used sparingly; Luke Watt - something not right? Stephen Cadden - I genuinely don't know. I doubt if there are any others ready to step up.

To answer your question, yes I think we are moving in a generally positive direction - albeit off the park.

Where the problem lies, is all that good work is being dragged down by Baraclough and our on field problems. The board/GM have backed him, it's back-fired and now they need to act.

The squad size with numerous player in positions and seemingly wasting wages, the playing style, the lack of trust in youth as per the philosophy of the new board and the tactical approach can all be laid at Baraclough's door.

Yes, the board should have rained him in a bit, but I put that down to inexperience of running a football club.

As I understand it, the money Les Hutchison is putting in is all as loans, which have to be repaid by the 'well society or whoever takes over.

I was quite impressed with his ideas for sorting out the off the park stuff, and cautiously optimistic about his "speculate to accumulate" philosophy.

However, I'm starting to get a worry that given the size of squad with another cup run finished prematurely that we are just racking up a bigger and bigger tab.

Marvin Johnson was a shining beacon of how this new system would work, but actually he's had 2 good games and the odd flash otherwise, he's not going to go for a million pounds.

:lol:

What happens if we clock up a huge debt to Les and the 'well society can't pay it back?

At the moment that seems a fairly realistic scenario.

• Like 1

What happens if we clock up a huge debt to Les and the 'well society can't pay it back?

I've thought about this a lot recently...

Think Les could potential back himself into a corner. Loans more and more, speculating to accumulate, and the society struggle to get the numbers to pay him back so he decides to sell the club. But with him owed £3m, no one wants to pay it and he is stuck with limited options:

1. Sell Fir Park under the noses of the club to Tesco, etc to get his money back and gift the club to the fans.

2. Stay owner, start cutting cloth accordingly.

3. Sell the club for a significant loss to a third party.

4. Gift it to 'Well Society anyway.

Only the 1st option is a disaster for the club - and think he'd be a very brave man to do that.

Only the 1st option is a disaster for the club - and think he'd be a very brave man to do that.

If tried to do a bit of research into him, and he does seem to be a genuine philanthropist. He's involved with university of west of Scotland and another project I can't remember the name of. Seems to be wanting to give something back to the community he came from. So I can't see him racking up a debt to himself so he can sell the ground from underneath us or anything like that.

I'd started worrying he was another Craig Whyte!

:lol:

• 4 months later...

There is no doubt that we are struggling and McGhee’s recent run of results is starting look as bad as Baraclough’s tenure. I sense that there is something not right in the background at Fir Park and it is starting to effect our performances on the park. If we don’t fix it soon, I fear at best we will be heading for another play-off against Rangers or Hibs to secure our premiership status.

There is no doubt that we are struggling and McGhees recent run of results is starting look as bad as Baracloughs tenure. I sense that there is something not right in the background at Fir Park and it is starting to effect our performances on the park. If we dont fix it soon, I fear at best we will be heading for another play-off against Rangers or Hibs to secure our premiership status.

We have a total clown as general manager who has surrounded himself with his pals. That's where we need to start the clear out.

• Like 2