The Steve Mcgarry Award - Round 2

fat_tony

A bit of fun to lighten the mood.

Last time round, we had the joy of watching several players find a new lease of life under Mark McGhee. Steven McGarry and Jim Paterson turned from a couple of chunky, Sunday-leauge players into, well, not world beaters, but good SPL players at least. David Clarkson seemed reinvigorated, and discovered an eye for goal culminating in a Scotland call up. And latterly, Jim O'Brien was developed from an extremely raw talent, into a mainstay of our first team in subsequent years.

So, assuming that big Muttley still has the magic touch to turn a player round, who do you think will be the "Most Improved Player" this season?

Will Josh Law become the next Dani Alves? Or will "marvellous" Marv finally live up to his potential? Perhaps David Clarkson will roll back the years to discover his scoring touch?

Answers on a postcard.

• Like 1

Not sure which of the 1st team regulars he'll turnaround but maybe some of the youth will prosper.

Increased exposure for Thomas would fit in with McGhee's style of play in 2007/08.

Going by McGhee's comments today, he's looking at a possible midfield three with plenty of energy. That might give Cadden a chance at last.

And if we do go down the 433 route, we're going to need decent full backs. Whatever the script is with Watt, he's miles better than Law and Chalmers.

Marv seems to had enough of square sausage and the Megabar, maybe a quick word in his ear that playing badly won't get him a new deal anywhere else other than at a pub team may get him focused again.

I suspect Kennedy will be in the SPFL team of the season come May.

Skippy will find the form of last season at least.

Thomas will benefit from starting with Marv coming on to replace him.

Could be argued that Moult and Ainsworth are two of the only ones to get pass marks so far this season, so could we see them playing like well tuned fiddles in a months time.

One thing is certain, he alluded to double training all next week may get a few petted lips though.

A bit of fun to lighten the mood.

Last time round, we had the joy of watching several players find a new lease of life under Mark McGhee. Steven McGarry and Jim Paterson turned from a couple of chunky, Sunday-leauge players into, well, not world beaters, but good SPL players at least. David Clarkson seemed reinvigorated, and discovered an eye for goal culminating in a Scotland call up. And latterly, Jim O'Brien was developed from an extremely raw talent, into a mainstay of our first team in subsequent years.

So, assuming that big Muttley still has the magic touch to turn a player round, who do you think will be the "Most Improved Player" this season?

Will Josh Law become the next Dani Alves? Or will "marvellous" Marv finally live up to his potential? Perhaps David Clarkson will roll back the years to discover his scoring touch?

Answers on a postcard.

Remember also that McGhee brought through our last two really good youth products - Jamie Murphy and Shaun Hutchinson.

Tom "Dead Ball" Hateley

I witnessed both of his goals straight from corners

- and his scoring free kick

Unfortunately I also witnessed his 3500 unsuccessful attempts

If only he just thought he was a tidy right back ...

I agree!

He was a steady enough right back, although he took one or 2 roastings, where for his own benefit he should've been subbed after 10 minutes (templeton at tynecastle, think it was Xmas eve 2011, honking! )

Also if I got to hit every set piece for 3 years, id fancy I'd score a couple too!

• Like 1

I agree!

He was a steady enough right back, although he took one or 2 roastings, where for his own benefit he should've been subbed after 10 minutes (templeton at tynecastle, think it was Xmas eve 2011, honking! )

Also if I got to hit every set piece for 3 years, id fancy I'd score a couple too!

That was a horrible day. He tried to put Templeton in the stand after about 80 minutes, the dopey bastard.

I always quite liked hateley, tbh. Folk slating his crossing always seemed weird to me, as Paul Quinn never made a cross in his life before him, so a wee bonus.