Motherwell V Hamilton Sat 2 Jan 15:00

Yabba's Turd

If there are some on here who feel aggrieved about the "penalty", they should take a look at the one Real Madrid got last week. The opposing defender slid in low to block the Real cross, with his arm on the grass in front of his leg. The ball was smashed off his arm and the referee immediately gave a penalty.

What happened to the culprit? Was he given a red or yellow card?

What happened to the culprit? Was he given a red or yellow card?

Guessing this is the incident Happy Dosser is talking about? Their 3 - 1 win vs Real Sociedad? If so then, no booking. There is a yellow card flashed but it's not to the player involved in the handball it's another player for dissent as far as I can see.

https://youtu.be/XmnQ5TypMWU?t=47m10s

I think in Spain all hand balls are (at least) a booking.

Not sure how they can have different rules, but sure that's the case.

I believe it was a league instruction to referees; any hand ball, regardless of deliberate or not was a yellow card. Any hand ball in the penalty box was a penalty too, I'm sure. That was a few seasons ago right enough, so I don't know if that's still the case.

Any hand ball in the penalty box was a penalty

Maybe that’s the best way, whether intentional or not, a penalty is awarded. At the moment it’s far too open to interpretation by match officials. Players should be instructed that if the ball touches your hand in the penalty area it’s a penalty. However, I would allow the referee some discretion on whether the handball merits a booking or ordering off.

I take it you've never played the game at any level? When you fly into a tackle or move to block a ball, or even jumping for a header, your arms and hands move to positions which aren't 'natural'.

You cannot run around a pitch with your hands and arms down by your side. The force in which the ball was struck also made it impossible for lasley to do anything about it or even attempt a block with his hand. It was never a penalty imo.

I take it from your comment you have played the game at some level? If so please tell me when your next game is cause if your running around like a fucking windmill it will be hilarious to watch.

Reaching up but covering his face, arms out by his sides or stretched in front and aye you have positions which arent natural but can happen. Lasleys handball is a pen all day long. There is no need for anyone,let alone a professional footballer of 18 years inside a penalty box to have their arms stretched 3 feet above their head when making a challenge.

• Like 2