Inverness Ct V Motherwell Sat 2 Apr 15:00

Yabba's Turd

Todays win must be the one to confirm beyond all reasonable doubt that the decision to appoint Mark McGhee was absolutely the right call and that there is real justification for a sense of optimism.

He's managed to turn a squad who looked clueless and heartless into a side that can fight back from behind to win and on an off day like today, grind out a vital result.

What a contrast from this time last year !!??!!

I sincerely hope there aren't Motherwell fans out there who are hating this present run and the security from relegation and the excitement of a potential Euro spot that it brings. But if there are, at least they're not coming coming on here and spouting their pish.

• Like 4

Todays win must be the one to confirm beyond all reasonable doubt that the decision to appoint Mark McGhee was absolutely the right call and that there is real justification for a sense of optimism.

He's managed to turn a squad who looked clueless and heartless into a side that can fight back from behind to win and on an off day like today, grind out a vital result.

I sincerely hope there aren't Motherwell fans out there who are hating this present run and the security from relegation and the excitement of a potential Euro spot that it brings. But if there are, at least they're not coming coming on here and spouting their pish.

Wowowow lets calm down about this potential European spot, let's stay realistic here. Currently 12 points behind hearts and they have a game in hand. Right now I'm just so proud of the entire club making it to this position considering the situation we were in only a few months ago.

Thank you MFC, you never fail to surprise me

We can also get European football by finishing 4th and Celtic win the Scottish cup, so its not as unrealistic some people think but that said id rather take it a game at a time between now and the summer and if we end up 4th then brilliant, at least we dont need to be put through the torture of the relegation play off even though it was a great outcome for us.

Wowowow lets calm down about this potential European spot, let's stay realistic here. Currently 12 points behind hearts and they have a game in hand. Right now I'm just so proud of the entire club making it to this position considering the situation we were in only a few months ago.

Thank you MFC, you never fail to surprise me

Wasn't meaning third ... But there is justifiable cause for excitement about coming fourth and Celtic winning the cup.

Bloody awesome!!!

• Like 1

excellent result today and I was busy at work and I had a chance to listen to the radio around 16.40 and to my delight with in minutes Marvin scored and I also crashed my car!

as for the rest of the season, lets just stick to one game at a time and we'll see where the Well will end up

one foot note I would add is that McGhee know under fan ownership there won't be a large pot of money to buy new players so he knows he needs to build the team internal and youth development is the way forward

onwards and upwards

• Like 1

I have seen a few people comment on this, but not quite sure why there will be a difference in this summer's transfer pot if The Society owns the club.

The strategy implemented by Les will be continued, I imagine, which includes selling players, bringing through youngsters and spending small transfer fees on guys like Moult to recoup a bigger return on investment.

Running a budget on break-even doesn't preclude spending money. It just means that we need to get a return on the money we do spend.

• Like 1

one foot note I would add is that McGhee know under fan ownership there won't be a large pot of money to buy new players so he knows he needs to build the team internal and youth development is the way forward

My concern with McGhee has never been about him coming back or whether he could do it, it's about what happens when he's done it.
I've always believed in his ability to improve a squad and thought his appointment was sound in that regard, but hanging around long enough to build a team on a low budget and relying on youth development? Hmmm...
Perhaps I'm doing him a dis-service but after moving on after his team plateaud and required rebuilding first time around, I remain a shade sceptical of his desire to do this now.
I guess it would be the same dilemma for any successful manager of course but however sincere Mark was when Les put his demands to him about putting together a squad with a considerable emphasis on youth and one that had to trade on talent, I just think a manager of his ambition would find it irresistible if a bigger club or one with a more substantial budget came in for him.
The thing I liked about the thinking behind the Barraclough appointment (if not the actual choice of manager itself) was that it seemed to be a "project" style appointment. You know, getting the structure of the club right so the conveyor belt of talent delivers, is replaced, replaced again all the while augmented by signings in the mould of Moult or Johnson. We seem to be making excellent progress at first team, U20 and further down the youth levels, it would be great if McGhee was able to see that right through to fruition. I just worry the lure of that "last chance" at a bigger side might, at some stage, prove too strong.
For now though these are very exciting times. We're on a tremendous run, have made good progress this season with the hope that, with a full pre-season with his team to come and with many of the squad still developing, there are even better things to come in the future!

My concern with McGhee has never been about him coming back or whether he could do it, it's about what happens when he's done it.
I've always believed in his ability to improve a squad and thought his appointment was sound in that regard, but hanging around long enough to build a team on a low budget and relying on youth development? Hmmm...
Perhaps I'm doing him a dis-service but after moving on after his team plateaud and required rebuilding first time around, I remain a shade sceptical of his desire to do this now.
I guess it would be the same dilemma for any successful manager of course but however sincere Mark was when Les put his demands to him about putting together a squad with a considerable emphasis on youth and one that had to trade on talent, I just think a manager of his ambition would find it irresistible if a bigger club or one with a more substantial budget came in for him.
The thing I liked about the thinking behind the Barraclough appointment (if not the actual choice of manager itself) was that it seemed to be a "project" style appointment. You know, getting the structure of the club right so the conveyor belt of talent delivers, is replaced, replaced again all the while augmented by signings in the mould of Moult or Johnson. We seem to be making excellent progress at first team, U20 and further down the youth levels, it would be great if McGhee was able to see that right through to fruition. I just worry the lure of that "last chance" at a bigger side might, at some stage, prove too strong.
For now though these are very exciting times. We're on a tremendous run, have made good progress this season with the hope that, with a full pre-season with his team to come and with many of the squad still developing, there are even better things to come in the future!

Simple facts are any success at Motherwel l will attract bigger clubs to look at our manager and if the offer comes in whoever the manager is will go, especially if they are a younger manager who's not made their money or had a pop at a higher level. That doesn't just apply to McGhee but virtually anyone in the hot seat.

• Like 1

A managers time is for the present. Listened to Off the ball at 5.30. Inverness fans were calling for Hughes to go less than a year since they finished third and won the cup. I like McGhee and hope that he has success and stays. If he keeps his job at Scotland and continues to do well here he may be more likely to stay than a young ambitious manager with his career in front of him would. He left us before and failed so he might realise that he is a fit for this club and stay.

As for young players he said that once w

e were free from relegation he would play young players. After next week we will be safe from relegation whether we are in the top six or not so lets see what he does.

However if we get into top six and lose all five games just wait for the McGhee out calls on this forum.

• Like 2

After the monumental effort that's taken us from 11th to 4th in 2 months, I'd be surprised if McGhee was willing to take risks with youngsters and end the campaign with a whimper in 6th place. I think we will see a few untested come in here and there from the 20s at comfortable points in games (comfortably winning or comfortably gubbed), but I think he'll still be aiming for a very strong finish to the season.