2016/17 Ins & Outs

David

I can't really see the player/his representative going down that route unless he knows there are clubs interested. I'm curious to see who's in for him tbh. Forest looking to shift some of the cash they got for Burke maybe?

Some party is clearly at it here. Why on earth would he submit a transfer request a few days before the transfer window shuts? Why not do it weeks ago? No doubt he's just been tapped by some club or other and offered decent terms. MFC could could easily play the daft laddie here and agree to his request by saying its come too late during this window but he's available at the right price in January. Would that satisfy him and his agent? I think not.

The club has issued a good statement and credit to them for doing that. Johnson has signed a legitimate deal which he expects the club to adhere to, so he should reciprocate that. Of course he can move on but at the right price, so in that respect nothing should change. I suspect we will want to sell him in January in any event.

Qpr fans seem to think they might be signing him.

Not known for being prudent with their cash

It'd seem they're in the market for wingers anyway. Apparently "a number of potential signings are being considered." http://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/qpr-swansea-modou-barrow-109623 Mathew Leckie who's also mentioned in that article is a left winger.

Johnson was being linked with them earlier in the summer and I seem to remember a mention that Hasselbaink was familiar with him from when he was managing Burton and had a look at him.

In truth I could see a club like QPR being enough of a draw to prompt a transfer request from a player. Certainly more so than Oxford. Also after all the chat about him being capable of playing at that level if a Championship club has come in and the club have knocked them back then rightly or wrongly you could understand why the player might be irked by that.

Similarly you can imagine that MFC would view a QPR or similar as being able to meet their valuation, particularly after McGhee's somewhat crass observation about the English Championship being "awash with money". It'd explain why the club might feel emboldened enough to dig their heels in (beyond the fact he has 2 years on his deal, is a contracted player and their prerogative is to get the best deal for MFC etc).

Edit: from the other day "[Queens Park] Rangers are looking to add a winger", "We are looking at a few. Hopefully the phone will be ringing a lot. Hopefully we'll see a few new faces and look to integrate them straight away." http://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/hasselbaink-wants-qpr-signings-109808

The Johnson situation does beg a few questions. Who in this day and age actually puts in a transfer request? Has he or his agent been tapped up by an interested party and, as such, are they trying to get him for a smaller fee and therefore sweeten the deal for themselves? It is entirely likely that a player like Johnson sees his future at a higher and more lucrative level. It is also understood that we, as a club,will be happy enough to sell players on if the deal is good enough for us. Why then do they feel the need to go through the public charade of a transfer request? You also have to ask the question of Johnson, if you are so keen to go on and better yourself, why has your recent form been so rank rotten? Scarcely playing for a move.

As to what will be the likely consequence if we do move him on before the transfer deadline, I am not convinced that we will see any move to replace him. Known players of similar ability will either be beyond our means or not available, especially given the limited timeframe. If he does go, I reckon we will be pretty much stuck with the squad that we currently have in place, at least until January.

• Like 1

Given we have, as a club, not very subtly trying to sell Johnson then I would have to hope that we have made contingency plans for any sale coming at this point of the transfer window. Will it be our first choice replacement? Probably not but given where we are in the transfer food chain, I suspect we rarely acquire our number one target...

My biggest concern is.... if he moves do we have enough of McGoo's time to get other deals across the line, especially with him away on Scotland duties.

I try not to think about the Scotland card but this is possibly the worse time of the year to have an international break.. from a club perspective.

• Like 1

I don't care where he goes as long as we receive the best fee and it's done quickly to allow us time to bring in other players, although I think Dom Thomas should be given a run of 4 or 5 games even if Marv stays.

If Marv goes I wish him all the best he has been good in his time but also frustrating as he sometimes looks uninterested and had a few terrible spells, his form at start of season was great but since Killie he has been a man down so with a heavy heat I hope he goes as I think it will benefit us.

Gino :lol:

I don't buy the "the club won't want an unhappy player" chat. He'll still be an asset for MFC if he's here next week. If he takes the cream puff and doesn't perform for the next four months, the one who'll be affected most by it is Marvin Johnson.

• Like 1

The Johnson situation does beg a few questions. Who in this day and age actually puts in a transfer request? Has he or his agent been tapped up by an interested party and, as such, are they trying to get him for a smaller fee and therefore sweeten the deal for themselves? It is entirely likely that a player like Johnson sees his future at a higher and more lucrative level. It is also understood that we, as a club,will be happy enough to sell players on if the deal is good enough for us. Why then do they feel the need to go through the public charade of a transfer request?

Scott Allan - and who'd want to sign him? Johnson's agent's retort is incredible.

So, these personal reasons? Genuine or convenient? Would a couple of weeks off to sort things help or is the only solution likely to be the substantial increase in wages that a move to the Championship in Englandshire would provide?

He posted on June 12th that he's got a second kid on the way. Wanting to move closer to home in that context would seem a genuine enough reason IMO. I'm sure the increase in wages that a Championship side would offer would also be helpful.

The club need to stand firm, which they have, and get a fee they deem suitable. Even more so given the timing of this request which leaves us very little time to sell and then get in a replacement of the same quality.

Fully behind the club on this. However the fact we let Law and Pearson go mid contract for 'personal reasons' is a reason for Johnson to get in a bit of a huff.

• Like 1