2016/17 Ins & Outs

David

Regardless of the Lucas signing, I'd like to think Campbell and/or MacLean (Cadden moving inside) will get their chance in the coming months should McHugh remain sidelined.

Both look very impressive in the u20s but it remains to be seen if they are ready for the jump. In my opinion, they are the most likely candidates to have a Hall/Cadden level of impact. Our limited midfield options should play in their favour.

• Like 1

I don't think any/many supporters would object to under-18's getting in free.

It wasn't a total disaster last time, some youngsters did get in the habit of attending - I note a member here saying his first ever match was a school freebie. ( apologies, can't remember who it was ).

What I'm proposing is to make it free on a five year trial - with the season tickets in the youngsters names. We will get spin off from match day and merchandise sales - but the real goal is to convert them into contributing adults.

The stadium lies half empty or more for the vast majority of games - it's a foolish waste of capacity.

Also if the kids get in free there is a good chance a dad or uncle might go along with them. Not only another seat filled but if you think about it weighs out the loss (not really a loss if the seats are empty anyway but you get my point) from the free kids tickets.

• Like 2

With these initiatives you always need to factor in the loss from the number of folk who would have paid in but would now get a freebie. That's why you never get loyalty schemes in football like you do at Starbucks. They need to keep you sweet or you'll switch to Costa, but fans will never abandon their team for another one.

With these initiatives you always need to factor in the loss from the number of folk who would have paid in but would now get a freebie. That's why you never get loyalty schemes in football like you do at Starbucks. They need to keep you sweet or you'll switch to Costa, but fans will never abandon their team for another one.

The problem is that "fans" have been just simply abandoning their teams for decades-

Not for other teams, but other sports/ pastimes- the fact is the world has moved on, and football has just ploughed on regardless

Evolve or die, see Mr Darwin for details.

Cricket / rugby / cycling/ hockey - they constantly reinvent themselves, why should football be immune to it all?

I'm pleased the club is looking to be innovative with the latest media/ marketing / fan engagement appointments

• Like 1

I'm prepared to bet that each and every one of us started following Motherwell in childhood. At a point when we had zero cash and a ton of enthusiasm.

My big cousin took me to more games than my Dad, then I got to the point I could go myself, by then I would go with my sister mainly. We'll all have a similar story.

The fault in the previous freebie scheme was that it relied on schools, youth clubs etc organizing the trip. There's only so much that a willing volunteer will do. So then you have a situation where you only get one bite at the cherry with loads of these kids - not enough.

While there is great value in the family tickets, they miss out on one thing - that's the sense of ownership that kids love.

"That's your season ticket."

Not your Mum's or Dad's - yours. You get to twelve/thirteen years old ( for example ) and jump on the bus to go watch the game without relying on Mum or Dad going with you. How many of us remember doing that?

And the enthusiasm of the group - you'd get to the game and know where your pals/pals from school would be standing. Did we not all do that?

And the group again - I think I already mentioned the idea of giving ten free child season tickets to every member of our boys and girls development teams. You never have more pals in your life than when you are at school - we have that resource of so many youngsters that are connected to Motherwell to hand right now and we should be using it.

It's not rocket science - it's vast untapped resource on our doorstep.

The same goes for our junior Well Society members - I think we have five hundred plus, and juvenile season ticket holders - give them all free season tickets to distribute to their pals. I know I keep saying ten each - work out the numbers, if it's five each then so be it.

NOT ANOTHER BUSINESS ON THE PLANET WOULD MISS THE OPPORTUNITY TO CREATE FANS FOR LIFE.

NOT ONE.

And this is a prime example of where football has failed to rise to the challenge set by the vast choice of entertainment now available to youngsters. MFC should be leading the way in this -

• Like 1

The club has two options - find a sponsor prepared to fund the "free season for kids offer," - or announce the figure required to the fans and run a "GoFundMe," type campaign to pay for it.

I reckon some fans that are not keen on the Well Society would swing behind this, as well as many society members.

I would personally rather stick money into a fund that allows kids to go free then fork out for the well society.

Indeed.

But then again, I'd sooner buy a ten quid team photo than throw my money into the pit that the Well Society has become. At least I'd feel that there was some tangible reward for my money.

Edit - 2 different points. I'd gladly sponsor a kid to attend FP is pt 1.

Pt 2 is that I feel that fan ownership is unsus and unat tainable.

Going way off topic with the Ins & Outs, but the club has to be self-sustaining. It doesn't matter if it's the Well Society or Fred Moneybags that owns it. If you think fan ownership is unsustainable, who's left sustain it? You can give away all the tickets you like, but there needs to be a team to watch.

One thing seems pretty sure. If the Society hadn't been around to lend money to the club in the past few seasons we could all have been going to Fir Park for our weekly groceries.

Going way off topic with the Ins & Outs, but the club has to be self-sustaining. It doesn't matter if it's the Well Society or Fred Moneybags that owns it. If you think fan ownership is unsustainable, who's left sustain it? You can give away all the tickets you like, but there needs to be a team to watch.

One thing seems pretty sure. If the Society hadn't been around to lend money to the club in the past few seasons we could all have been going to Fir Park for our weekly groceries.

Can't disagree with this - no doubt others will though.

Concussion after giving himself a nasty dunt on the head. Worth checking out the picture of the injury on his Twitter, if you aren't squeamish

I did see the picture after the killie game but I thought it was only a minor injury and he'd be ready to play against st Johnstone but obviously worse than first thought

Can't disagree with this - no doubt others will though.

I don't disagree with it........I will continue membership of the Well Society irrespective.

However, don't close out the fans that have their doubts about the Well Society. Those same fans as commented above would consider funding free tickets for the kids.

I don't disagree with it........I will continue membership of the Well Society irrespective.

However, don't close out the fans that have their doubts about the Well Society. Those same fans as commented above would consider funding free tickets for the kids.

I don't believe that there is a lot of money at stake here - I reckon £30,000 or so - the club can come up with the correct figure,

And nothing will sustain the club more in the long term than a constant stream of youngsters pouring through the door. It would be an outstanding long term investment.

Maybe one of the mods can start a poll asking if fans would be prepared to contribute to a free season ticket scheme for under 16's - and get it started next season if the details can be worked out. The sooner the better.

I think that the club/society should look at extending the free kids season tickets scheme to allow non season ticket holders by some means. No sure how though

• Like 1

That's some fucking round trip for you to get a loaf and a pint of milk.

• Like 2

Not sure if this fits in with the ticket chat but,I work with a celtic fan whose kids went to a match at Fir Park with their school.

They go every week now and cost him a fortune in the club shop at birthdays and Christmas.

He's over the moon that they're not involved in the blue/green bigot nonsense. That's a success story and something we can hopefully continue.

• Like 2

I think there's definitely mileage in any kind of subsidised child entry scheme, whatever format it may take. I guess the major sticking point would be who would subsidise it.

I remember being a member of the Claret and Amber club when I was little and it made the difference between being able to go and not. Same with the travel club.

I'm sure there are lots of families like mine was like back then where money is tighter than Harry Stiles favourite jeans. They can't afford to take their kids to FP or indeed if they are taking their kids, be able to pitch in towards the subsidy.

Even if it were to become entirely fan bankrolled, it would take time and initial investment from the club.

• Like 1

I keep thinking we have signed someone else or let somebody go....then its more ticket chat.

Anyway - it's a direct result of the club announcement of the new commercial/fan engagement director. That's a club in/out? no?

And a few of us are taking our chance to let the club know we are in favour of long term free entry for kids. He and Mr Burrows should be sitting down and looking at the figures.

Free season tickets for kids could be ( I would say will be ) more important to the long term survival of the club than the Well Society.

There's room for both - so lets do both.

Anyway - it's a direct result of the club announcement of the new commercial/fan engagement director. That's a club in/out? no?

And a few of us are taking our chance to let the club know we are in favour of long term free entry for kids. He and Mr Burrows should be sitting down and looking at the figures.

Free season tickets for kids could be ( I would say will be ) more important to the long term survival of the club than the Well Society.

There's room for both - so lets do both.

That's true, it was technically an 'in'. :-)

• Like 1