2016/17 Ins & Outs

David

I was quite pleased to see Tom Fry listed amongst the subs today as he has done well for the under 20s lately, I was looking at information on him and noticed he was released by Bristol City not so long go. Thought he had progressed through our ranks.

Going by McGhee's post match interview, it looks like Lee Lucas will be signing.

Just watched it there, certainly seems that's the intention. Clearly McHugh's concussion is a genuine concern (as it should be), if there's budget there then it makes sense if they feel Campbell's not quite ready for the first team, they can't put a date on McHugh's return and that's Lasley picked up another knock. At least they're in the position where they know what Lucas can/can't do, he's spent long enough at the club this summer.

That said, it makes the decision to have him on the bench and not use him previously seem quite odd given that it seems the motivation to sign him now is based on the fact that he could have been used as cover off the bench today when Lasley had to go off. Who knows maybe McGhee just didn't fancy chucking a player who was essentially "on trial" and only had a couple of weeks of the short term deal to run into a league game.

The fact that he seems to be a deep lying playmaker might mean he could offer a bit of creativity in the centre of the park as well. Though from the looks of things box to box running isn't his game, someone who can pick a pass in the middle of the park and look after the ball would be quite welcome.

I'm getting a bit concerned that we are weak in the full back positions. I'm not convinced of Tait and by all accounts he didn't play well yesterday. Stevie Hammell is well past his best and again seemed to have been below his best yesterday. The only slight glimmer of hope is that Chalmers seems to be improving of late but again he's not the fastest in the world.

The Blyth Bowman thing is reminiscent of the other English guy we signed in case we couldn't get Marvin (forgot his name - left winger?) , we ended up getting him off the payroll on the QT literally weeks after we did get Marvin. Bowman possibly is the clubs preferred option and Blyth was signed in case we didn't get him

The Blyth Bowman thing is reminiscent of the other English guy we signed in case we couldn't get Marvin (forgot his name - left winger?) , we ended up getting him off the payroll on the QT literally weeks after we did get Marvin. Bowman possibly is the clubs preferred option and Blyth was signed in case we didn't get him

Nathan Thomas?

Nathan Thomas currently at Hartlepool.

Edit: MelvinBragg beat me to it.

I recall that Plymouth fans were raging we got him back in the January window, thought he was destined for stardom. Looks like we took him because we could, however he never shined for the U-20's so therefore never progressed up to the first team.

Must be quite a dilemma for a Manager, a player that turns on the ability in training but doesn't deliver on the park on a Saturday.