Fixtures 2016/17

Toxteth O'Grady

In what ways do you feel the fixture list has been manipulated to suit the OF clubs?

Other than Celtic cancelling their 2nd game (even then, it was an avenue open to all clubs)?

The entire split was created so that the OF were guaranteed to play each other 4 times a season.

So there's that,

The entire split was created so that the OF were guaranteed to play each other 4 times a season.

So there's that,

As opposed the previous league format of 10 teams playing each other 4 times a season...?

The previous format guaranteed 4 games a season. This format does not. Of course, you could say it'll happen in all likelyhood, but it's not guaranteed. So there's that...

I think after reflecting and reading everything it seems a fair assumption to me to make that we should have expected more than just 2 home games against the old firm pre split if, as said, whe it was the SPL they did used to ensure the non old Firm clubs always got 3 home fixtures from both of them. So, now both teams are back you would expect that to continue I guess.

That said, I do know what people are saying about Rangers just taking Dundee Utd's place. So from an SPFL fixtures point of view they would be basing it on Rangers finishing in the bottom 6 come split, and only having to give us home fixtures v Aberdeen and Celtic post split to match it up. Realistically Rangers will be there too and I will be surprised if we get the 3 home games. Love the split!

The problem the SPFL has it that the system isn't random so it will always be questioned. It's based on previous seasons as has been pointed out. But also, they have manipulated it at new year to get derby matches. So you could argue it could be manipulated again.

I think after reflecting and reading everything it seems a fair assumption to me to make that we should have expected more than just 2 home games against the old firm pre split if, as said, whe it was the SPL they did used to ensure the non old Firm clubs always got 3 home fixtures from both of them. So, now both teams are back you would expect that to continue I guess.

That said, I do know what people are saying about Rangers just taking Dundee Utd's place. So from an SPFL fixtures point of view they would be basing it on Rangers finishing in the bottom 6 come split, and only having to give us home fixtures v Aberdeen and Celtic post split to match it up. Realistically Rangers will be there too and I will be surprised if we get the 3 home games. Love the split!

The problem the SPFL has it that the system isn't random so it will always be questioned. It's based on previous seasons as has been pointed out. But also, they have manipulated it at new year to get derby matches. So you could argue it could be manipulated again.

"But that's how it's always been" doesn't cut it for me. We should be looking forward, not back. Rangers are the new team in this league. They should be having to change to suit our needs (and if that lends itself to a 18-20 split this year for them - tough shit), not everyone else jumping through hoops to make it ok for them and Celtic, because, y'know, that's how it's always been.

I always thought that the champions had their first game at home but they have changed that as well.

That's because Celtc are cancelling their 2nd game to play Inter Milan. It's been deemed only fair that should a team cancel for a glamour friendly, it should coincide with a home game. Good move.

So it looks like we have a high percentage of our home games against diddy teams, meaning a higher likelihood of wins, which should encourage the home fans out. So rocket up the league and financial windfall, what's not to like?

That's because Celtc are cancelling their 2nd game to play Inter Milan. It's been deemed only fair that should a team cancel for a glamour friendly, it should coincide with a home game. Good move.

So the league has been manipulated to allow Celtic to make extra money in a friendly but can't be manipulated to allow a fair spread of income to clubs?

So what happens after the split if Celtic, Sevco and ourselves in the same half? Do they come to visit twice? Probably not but imagine that would be costly to the club in terms of stewarding, policing etc. Especially if the league is still there to be won.....

Would ahte tot hink that one of them won the league because they didn't visit Fir Park twice and the other lost there to lose the league....

Regardless of Sevco taking Utd's place in the fixtures, the balance of fixtures against those two should've been taken into account.

The option is there for every club in the Premiership to cancel a fixure, should they wish, to make additional income from a glamour friendly.

I agree but traditionally the league winners have their 1st game at home to unfurl the flag. My point is that this year, Celtics first game is away, allowing them to cancel the second game. Personally I do think that Rangers take Utds place. It could be argued that last seasons top 6 fin gave us he potential extra home games and income against Celtic and Aberdeen - can't be arsed checking to see how it worked out.

I agree but traditionally the league winners have their 1st game at home to unfurl the flag. My point is that this year, Celtics first game is away, allowing them to cancel the second game. Personally I do think that Rangers take Utds place. It could be argued that last seasons top 6 fin gave us he potential extra home games and income against Celtic and Aberdeen - can't be arsed checking to see how it worked out.

Celtic gave away their right to the first game being at home so that another club wouldn't lose a home gate when the friendly comes around.

"But that's how it's always been" doesn't cut it for me. We should be looking forward, not back. Rangers are the new team in this league. They should be having to change to suit our needs (and if that lends itself to a 18-20 split this year for them - tough shit), not everyone else jumping through hoops to make it ok for them and Celtic, because, y'know, that's how it's always been.

I agree in principle. But in this example its not changing to suit our needs at all. It's changing and not benefiting us and a couple of all other teams.

If the SPL used to manipulate the fixtures for the benefit of all the teams having 3 old firm home games, and nothing else has changed with the fixtures scheduling since the SPFL arrived, all I am saying is its a fair assumption to make that it would go back to happening again. If the SPFL had completely stopped manipulating fixtures and it was actually random (based on the last season) then fine but clearly the SPFL still manipulate fixtures (e.g. derby day at new year, opening day). So, it just leaves them open to question.

Anyway, we'll get on with it and it'll be fine. Just a tad annoying from a commercial perspective IF it isn't balance post split.