Louis Laing

livivoice

Shame if that's the case but not overly surprising given the arrival of Heneghan and his absence during pre-season. Don't know what has happened there. Had the makings of a decent centre half before faltering at East Fife. Both McGhee and Laing hinted towards a loss of confidence last season.

Suspect he'll be on a half decent wage.

Was tipped as a top prospect when he arrived and I thought he had the makings of it. Quite disappointed the manager doesn't rate him

The manager is on record as saying he thinks Laing is "a footballer" that he thinks has the ability to make it as a midfielder. He also rated him at right back last season.

Apparantly carrying an injury in pre-season.

Not sure where the 'not rated' comes from.

The manager is on record as saying he thinks Laing is "a footballer" that he thinks has the ability to make it as a midfielder. He also rated him at right back last season.

Apparantly carrying an injury in pre-season.

Not sure where the 'not rated' comes from.

Came from him being told if he gets an offer elsewhere he's free to go

I would be disappointed but not surprised by this. We do seem to have too many centre halfs but I always felt Laing looked like he could turn into a decent player. I wasn't at East Fife last season when he had a nightmare and then disappeared for months but that seems to have been the game that really pushed him down the pecking order.

I have already said on here though that the signing of Heneghan only made sense if we were moving Laing or Kennedy on...

Every time he has played he has looked like he is about to make a mistake and very nervy. Also very injury prone.

It's a shame because he did show promise and ability.

However, given Kennedy is pretty much exactly the same (in that he can be nervy looks like making mkstakes) then we should only really have one of them on the books.

Right now he is behind Heneghan, Kennedy and Ferguson for me. So, probably best he goes if he can

I really liked Laing when he first came in, aside obviously from his introductory red card. I thought he was really good on the ball at centre half, but that may have been because I was used to watching Mark O'Brien just spend the season kicking the ball as long and as far as he could.

I was really pleased when we managed to get him permanently and I thought it was something of a coup. However, I was then put off by his body language against East Fife in the league cup. He started the game looking to me as if he was giving them no respect, but soon realised he had to when Nathan Austin was tearing him apart. He obviously then had a long spell out the team but I was then impressed with him at right back, pre injury. I was a Josh Law fan and defender, but I thought Laing had a presence and engine that Law perhaps couldn't give us. It was unfortunate he got injured when he did as I felt he could've established himself there.

All things considered, I'd say the jury is still out for me, as it is with Kennedy too. I would say that I prefer Laing over Kennedy, probably due to technical ability. Both are prone to an error but I think Kennedy's a stopper and that's his limit, whereas Laing is decent on the ball. It wouldn't break my heart to lose one of the two, especially with Ferguson able to step up to fourth choice centre back.

• Like 2

Was out performed massively by an unknown Northern Irish teenager with no first team experience at all in his entire career.

Facts are he's been give a decent whack at it and he's behind every other centre back available for selection, with maybe the exception of Ferguson.

He's a failed signing and it would be best if he went back down south and tried to resurrect his career.

• Like 1

The fact that neither he or Kennedy have cemented their place tells you everything.

Laing looked a really decent prospect when he first arrived, has played twenty six games over a season and a half, but we brought in another central defender who is obviously first pick with McMannus.

We will probably have Laing and Kennedy until their contracts expire next summer, which is funds we could really do with.

Was out performed massively by an unknown Northern Irish teenager with no first team experience at all in his entire career.

Facts are he's been give a decent whack at it and he's behind every other centre back available for selection, with maybe the exception of Ferguson.

He's a failed signing and it would be best if he went back down south and tried to resurrect his career.

There's a lot of assumptions that heneghan is going to be better than both Laing and Kennedy. McGhee would be naive to let Laing go until heneghan has proved himself to be a better option than his rivals - unless of course Laing is one of our higher paid players and sees his freed wage as being a way to bring in an attacking midfielder

There's a lot of assumptions that heneghan is going to be better than both Laing and Kennedy. McGhee would be naive to let Laing go until heneghan has proved himself to be a better option than his rivals - unless of course Laing is one of our higher paid players and sees his freed wage as being a way to bring in an attacking midfielder

I do in part agree with this.

However if he rates Kennedy higher than Laing, has watched Heneghan last season and in training then he likely has a decent idea.