Louis Laing

livivoice

There's a lot of assumptions that heneghan is going to be better than both Laing and Kennedy. McGhee would be naive to let Laing go until heneghan has proved himself to be a better option than his rivals - unless of course Laing is one of our higher paid players and sees his freed wage as being a way to bring in an attacking midfielder

Perhaps but what sort of bar has Laing set? Not a very high one I'd say.

Given that we are now over budget then I'd say moving Laing on would be a priority before the transfer window shuts.

Between Heneghan, Kennedy and Ferguson we have enough options there between the three of them.

Seems like a decent lad. Was looking fairly solid at right back before yet another injury.

Now that Tait is here less requirement for him other than back up probably.

The key issue for us is that we have small squad / tight budget so cannot really carry many if any injury prone players. That said he is under contract, so no need for him to go anywhere unless a deal can be done.

I quite like Laing, though much of that is probably down to thinking you're better off with a ball playing defender alongside a stopper like McManus. The problem I see with McManus and Kennedy playing together is that they're a bit too similar and Kennedy's habit of committing himself often leaves McManus exposed.

That said, it's worth remembering that Laing had actually dropped out the team by the time McGhee arrived, Craigan played Kennedy in both his interim games while Baraclough had Kennedy as first choice in 3 of his last 4 games (Killie, Accies & Morton) so of the 6 fixtures prior Laing had only started 1 (vs County) by the time McGhee was even through the door.

As others have pointed out Laing was brought in as a first choice centre half, and is presumably on a wage that reflects that. At the moment his squad role is as a back up centre half and back up right back, a role that Kennedy also fills. It's one of those where given the circumstances (budgets, squad balance etc) I'm not hugely surprised to hear that we wouldn't stand in the player's way if he can find another club.

I too quite like Laing, although he's been hampered by injuries and a loss of confidence. Before this, he looked promising but hadn't quite convinced me. I'm unsure of Kennedy - he can have a good game but can also be a bit of a bombscare at times. David Ferguson is an unknown quantity having only played a game or two at right back a couple of years ago. So, the ball is in Heneghan's court I'd say.

I'm sorry that it just hasn't worked out for Louis Laing.

I feel sorry for the lad. For any sportsman, confidence plays a huge part in their training and performance and just as it appeared that he may be turning the corner, getting a run at right back and scoring an important goal, Lady Luck screws him over.

Unfortunately, I suspect his life at Motherwell is untenable and that he will be keen for a return closer to home every bit as much as McGhee will be keen to recycle a wage. It's a shame and I wish the boy luck cos if he gets his mojo back, he'll be a good player for someone.

Mabye I have overlooked the substance of the `Laing is out the picture ` suggestion but it looks as though it is nothing more than speculation.

Whats the view of others ?

I take your point as I've not seen anything official. Worth mentioning that Ainsworth has been subject constant speculation on the boards for leaving (for the past 2 years) and again never heard an official peep about the club trying to move him on either.

Mabye I have overlooked the substance of the `Laing is out the picture ` suggestion but it looks as though it is nothing more than speculation.

Whats the view of others ?

Fair point. Though isn't 90% of content on this forum speculation?

I think given his lack of game time and signings to the roles that he can play, it's more justifiable speculation than a lot of the stuff that comes on here.

I for one, hope that he gets his mojo back, he is a contracted Motherwell player and if he is going to be a good player for someone, then it may aswell be us.

• Like 1

Think he's rubbish. Was a 'key' member of our defence last season when we were shipping goals all over the shop.

Last season:

Conceded 69 goals in 42 games- 1.64 per game

Conceded 47 goals in 26 games when Laing wasn't playing- 1.81 per game

Conceded 22 goals in 16 games when Laing was playing- 1.38 per game

Don't know if your statement holds any weight.

• Like 1

Last season:

Conceded 69 goals in 42 games- 1.64 per game

Conceded 47 goals in 26 games when Laing wasn't playing- 1.81 per game

Conceded 22 goals in 16 games when Laing was playing- 1.38 per game

Don't know if your statement holds any weight.

Would be interested to know how the GPG stats looked the season before as well. I seem to recall a discussion that seemed to indicate he shored things up a bit then as well.

Would be interested to know how the GPG stats looked the season before as well. I seem to recall a discussion that seemed to indicate he shored things up a bit then as well.

70 conceded in 42 games: 1.66 per game

58 conceded in 29 games without Laing: 2 per game

12 goals in 13 games with Laing: 0.92 per game

• Like 1

I like Laing too, I think he's a better option for backup/rotation than Law or Kenned, and he's definitely got the potential to grow into a decent player. I'm not sure if we can afford to let him develop while paying him what is,presumably, a first team wage,though.

If we don't let players develop, we might as well give up. We bought him when he was 22, so were presumably aware he wasn't the finished article - especially as we had previously had him on loan.

Yeah, I agree, hopefully we stick by him. Just my thinking that under these budget constraints we'll be forced to choose between putting faith in potential or cutting out losses.

I'd much sooner get rid of Kennedy than Laing personally. Both are similar in that they have made the odd, inexperienced error at times, but I would say as a footballer Laing is far more accomplished than Kennedy.

Kennedy uses his physicality much better than Laing. Kennedy needs to improve the non physical side of the game and he's no technician but at least has has a basic to build upon. If I wanted someone to run out from the back with the ball at his feet I'd pick Laing but that's not primarily what defending is about and we need to get the basics right first before we start adding more levels. Laing just doesn't look the part to me and the whole thing about him coming out and saying he was ready to quit the game, well that doesn't make him sound like someone that is mentally strong enough or someone who's heart is in it.