Will We Qualify For The Next Stage Of The League Cup

middleeastdave

Thanks to TonyS88 for clarifying the situation. All we can do is go out and try and beat Stranraer and see where we end up. We certainly cannot just assume we will pick up the win at Stair Park. It will not be the end of the world if we don't make it but it would be nice to have another round to look forward to, and perhaps a little more cash coming our way.

Whatever happens, I do think these games have been better than the usual round of pre season friendlies and, hopefully, they will have set us up for the really important stuff still to come.

Software Developer mate, part of the job description. Living over in Canada now so managed to figure it out while I should've been working.

I believe distractions like that fall under the category of "Waiting for the code to compile."

• Like 1

Presumably as the league cup is an "official" competition it's bound by FIFA rules so that will dictate things like number of subs, trialists and that sort of thing?

It may well be the case that unless there's a way round it (games being played outwith the regular league season?) they're stuck with 3 subs.

Not sure, how did we fudge in this mad penalties rule then? Dunno how these things work.

• Like 1

If we win on Saturday we will go through.

Worst case group C&D go through on 10 points, leaving groups E-H all with runners up on 9 points. Our goal difference of +4 (minimum if we win) will see us through as the best 2 of those 4.

All the worst case results (which includes draws with a specific team winning the bonus point) are pretty unlikely to ALL happen, and even if they did, a goal difference of (at least) +4 would still be enough in my opinion.

Will be an exciting day though, with so many teams still in contention.

Presumably as the league cup is an "official" competition it's bound by FIFA rules so that will dictate things like number of subs, trialists and that sort of thing?

It may well be the case that unless there's a way round it (games being played outwith the regular league season?) they're stuck with 3 subs.

This article seems pretty confident that the English FA will be allowed to implement it.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36904466

• Like 1

Hard game on Saturday so a win is not guaranteed but can see st mirren winning 5 0 home to Edinburgh so might need 2 goal victory which is even harder just a pity we never took more of our chances last 3 games as we've had plenty u never know might find our shooting boots come Saturday here's hoping

I think there is something fundamentally wrong with the premise that feasibly a team with 1 win and 3 draws could go through as a highest runner up ahead of a team with 3 wins. However I doubt it will actually shaft us but the fact it could happen is a fundamental flaw in the format. I still think if we win, we will qualify.

• Like 1

I think there is something fundamentally wrong with the premise that feasibly a team with 1 win and 3 draws could go through as a highest runner up ahead of a team with 3 wins. However I doubt it will actually shaft us but the fact it could happen is a fundamental flaw in the format. I still think if we win, we will qualify.

Portugal are European champions with a record similar to that.

Maybe it's the new football, draw your way to success.

Sitting in the fourth best runner up place?

It's pretty irrelevant where we are at the moment, as some teams have played 4 games.

If we win on Saturday, we'll go through.

If it will make some folk feel better, stick a £1 accumulator on the set of circumstances it would take for us to win and not qualify. Your winnings will soften the blow!