Marv Birmingham Mail

livivoice

I hope Oxford or some team offer us a good amount for Johnson. I am sure that Dom Thomas can step up and make us foget about Johnson. The lad has ability and just needs "coached" to turn him into a really good player. A run of games in the team in addtion to some coaching form McGhee and McFadden and I think he could easily replace Johnson.

• Like 1

I hope I'm wrong, but I think those expecting us to get £1million plus for Marvin are going to be disappointed.

When you see how little Dundee got for Kane Hemnings, I think clubs in our situation have to listen to decent offers, people know this, and will come in low.

I think £500-600k might even be optimistic, although for once we hold a bit of the power as we've not let his contract run down.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think those expecting us to get £1million plus for Marvin are going to be disappointed.

When you see how little Dundee got for Kane Hemnings, I think clubs in our situation have to listen to decent offers, people know this, and will come in low.

I think £500-600k might even be optimistic, although for once we hold a bit of the power as we've not let his contract run down.

Kane Hemmings release clause was met so Dundee had to sell at that price.

If all the chat about multiple clubs down south being interested in Marv is true then I'd be disappointed if he went for anything less than £800k

• Like 1

Pretty sure les paid out to get him in so I wouldn't be surprised if a return on his investment now is the main driving force to cashing in

The main driving force is that Les set up the infrastructure to identify players to bring in, develop and move on for a fee - even if we had to lay out some cash up front. He set that up in tandem with his strategy to develop from within the club.

We had been terrible at doing that in recent seasons, but I fully expect to see one of our top players move on every year now. That's not necessarily a bad thing as long as we keep doing the right thing when it comes to our scouting methods and youth development.

It's really the best way for a club like our to sustain itself.

• Like 1

The main driving force is that Les set up the infrastructure to identify players to bring in, develop and move on for a fee - even if we had to lay out some cash up front. He set that up in tandem with his strategy to develop from within the club.

We had been terrible at doing that in recent seasons, but I fully expect to see one of our top players move on every year now. That's not necessarily a bad thing as long as we keep doing the right thing when it comes to our scouting methods and youth development.

It's really the best way for a club like our to sustain itself.

Completely agree I'd prob say though that it's imperative we do this to sustain ourselves

I think we should be looking at over a million as well.

He has an attribute which can't be coached - Absolute pace, which isn't everything, but when you add in end product which he's been producing recently you've got a decent player.

To go down south for less than a million given the money being thrown around there would be disappointing.

• Like 1

You're only worth what someone is willing to pay for you though.

I'm guessing that nobody will be willing to pay a 7 figure fee for a winger who's closer to 30 than 20, who's best season in his career to date is half a dozen goals and assists for Motherwell in the Scottish Premiership.

I like Marv, unplayable on his day and certainly has all the attributes to be a very decent player. A million pounds though? No chance.

Given we payed what, 30k for him 18 months ago, anything upwards of half a million would be a very good piece of business by the club.

I think a sell-on clause will be our best hope of long term cash. I think anything north of £500k will be seriously considered. At the end of the day, for a guy we bought for £30k 18 months ago, it's decent business.

Comparing it to a potential Ross McCormack transfer is daft. McCormack is a proven goalscorer at that level. A club at the top of the Championship will be willing to take that gamble. £12m-£15m will be worth it, if he scores the goals with takes that club up and earns them 10x that fee. See Jordan Rhodes for another example. £9m 'Boro paid for him six months ago. They got promoted, and already he'll be relegated to the bench now they've signed Negredo. He's served his purpose, and no doubt he'll be back in the Championship in six months on loan. Great deal all round for 'Boro.

• Like 2

I believe we have 2 years left in terms of his contract - so we are in no hurry to sell him or should not be. The deal to pay back Les (if one has been agreed) would be over a few years and not one or two.

Do I think Marv is worth £1m - probably not. But Oxford sold a player for £3million - Kemar Roofe I think it was to Leeds.

We need money - always, but fed up of English clubs paying millions down south and then peanuts up here.

£750k+ & sell on clause of circa 15% fine - but any less - Jog on.

It is a gamble but I think Marvin looks like he is getting better and not worse. If he has a stonking start then that would mean even more in the coffers.

If we accepted anything less than 500k for Marvin then id be asking serious questions of those in charge. You see average players moving all the time moving for big money.

750k - £1million is the figure we should be demanding, the english clubs have the money so cough it up then we can talk.

If we accepted anything less than 500k for Marvin then id be asking serious questions of those in charge. You see average players moving all the time moving for big money.

750k - £1million is the figure we should be demanding, the english clubs have the money so cough it up then we can talk.

On the other hand, if we brought in a player for 30k and moved them on for 500k every year, we'd have one of the best business models in the SPFL.

What if we have one offer at 450k? Or 450k is the best offer?

You can't just make other teams pay what you want or some inflated fee. It's Marvin Johnson we are talking about, not Paul Pogba.

I don't think Johnson's market worth is anything like what some people in this thread do, but as someone else said we shouldn't even be considering selling him at this point. Sit him down and tell him we won't accept any offers for him in this window but he can earn himself a transfer in January. If he gets better and adds to his market worth everyone wins.

What did we get him for? £50,000? It's not a big gamble.

Key points here IMO:

"But sources at United this morning made it clear while a polite enquiry had been made about Johnson's availability, no formal approach had followed.

They are monitoring the situation, but the chances of securing a move for a player who would command a significant transfer fee at this stage was described as "unlikely"."

• Like 1