Scottish Premiership Motherwell V Inverness Ct Wed 26 Oct 19:45

Yabba's Turd

It's probably a fair target to set.

The top five in the Premiership this year were a given. The other seven, who I believe have very little between them, will fight it out for the last top six place, but at the same time, they'll also be fighting it out to avoid finishing 11th or 12th.

I don't see a team who'll get detached at the bottom this season. That means I'm either correct in saying the seven teams are much of a muchness, or the stand out shit team is Motherwell, and I don't want to accept it...

• Like 1

I've read all of the above on last nights game with interest and have to say that relevant points are made all the way through. To generalise all of it I'd say the position we are in at the moment is we have a squad that would give it a go at SPL level but we don't have the coaches who know how to use it. We knock the ball around the back four for so long that before the inevitable long punt comes along everyone up the park is covered. Remember the days of Faddy and Clarkson when we penetrated midfields and defences on the deck, I'm convinced we could still do that, especially with some of the youngsters we have with pace. Moult should be put in the Box and told to stay there with MacDonald making a nuisance of himself in and around it. Both of those guys must be sick of the lack of balss to feet they get, a few times last night MacDonald was even five yards outside OUR box asking for the ball, why does that have to happen ?

He might not be setting the world on fire down south but, I know from a fan that he jumped into a nightmare, since Robinson went we have had no obvious shape to the side. I think that if this continues our Gaffer may find himself under growing pressure, fans are already voting with their feet !

Careful - I got slaughtered for saying that our coaching team is inexperienced.

Also slaughtered for saying - no new contracts for any of the five veterans offered.

Slaughtered for saying that Joe Chalmers would come on to a game this year.

And slaughtered for saying that McGhee would be far better working with the under 20's than fucking off with Scotland, and on holidays he said "he doesn't need."

McGhee said on the radio after the Rangers cup game in the middle of July that his aim for the season was to avoid relegation.

I think that gives a good idea of what he thinks of the club and the resources he has available.

I didn't catch that interview but if that is indeed, and always has been the case, then fair enough.

I remember from the Well Society AGM and subsequent Q&A getting the impression that financially this season would be much about things ticking over until next season brought in an increased financial rewards package from the SPFL coupled with a greater opportunity to review the playing budget. That would I guess tie in with the target mentioned in McGhee's interview pre-ICT and the one you've alluded to.

Was sitting seen mcghee shhouting at the guy in front of ne maybe if mcghee spent less time arguing with fans and more time on managing the game maybe hed get somewhere ....... Just a thought but then again maybe im wrong that squads fucking dreadful

I do agree but the guy he was shouting at has been shouted at by nearly every manager over the past 20 years....I would say shouldn't be used as a barometer for sensible input into games.

Careful - I got slaughtered for saying that our coaching team is inexperienced.

Also slaughtered for saying - no new contracts for any of the five veterans offered.

Slaughtered for saying that Joe Chalmers would come on to a game this year.

And slaughtered for saying that McGhee would be far better working with the under 20's than fucking off with Scotland, and on holidays he said "he doesn't need."

You don't get slaughtered for what you say. You get slaughtered for saying it in the style of a condescending, know-all wank pot. You raise good points reasonably often but no-one cares because you come across like a complete prick and people would rather change their own views than agree with you, much in the same way as when someones mum says she likes their outfit, the first thing they want to do is get changed.

• Like 7

You don't get slaughtered for what you say. You get slaughtered for saying it in the style of a condescending, know-all wank pot. You raise good points reasonably often but no-one cares because you come across like a complete prick and people would rather change their own views than agree with you, much in the same way as when someones mum says she likes their outfit, the first thing they want to do is get changed.

• Like 1

Can't put much of what I think about Wednesday better than O'Neils40Yarder or Desp have above.

Two wins in ten is simply not good enough and relegation form and I don't think I've seen many Motherwell sides so lacking in any creativity. I didn't know where a chance was going to come from the other night, let alone a goal. For all Ainsworth's flaws and inconsistency, we know he can make and score goals out of nothing. Especially in a side bereft of creativity since Johnson left, we should be doing more to utilise this for me.

I think McGhee finishing fifth with a streamlined version of Baraclough's squad last season was a great achievement and as such think he was a good appointment. This season, I am questioning him though. From what I can see just now, his summer dealings haven't set the heather on fire.

• Lasley is off the pace
  • Hammell continues to be injury prone
  • Samson is awful and Brill has yet to be trusted with his chance, despite Samson's form
  • Tait is poor defensively
  • Blyth and Belic are posted missing
  • Clay puts a shift in without adding a great degree of quality, and particularly isn't a Pearo replacement by any means
  • Lucas, a "deep lying playmaker" can't seem to make it into the team, particularly baffling considering Wednesday was hoof ball because no one would take a pass from the centre backs

I'm relatively happy with Heneghan and I think McHugh would have been a good signing, so I'll concede on those two.

What I don't get though, is the utter hatred, and hatred is the right word, for McGhee amongst our supporters. In addition to that, how many people seem to take pleasure in his shortcomings and are almost willing him to fail. What did he do to deserve this? He almost took the Hearts job? McCall almost took the Sheffield United job. He left for bigger wages to a club which it pains me to concede are a bigger club than us? Who hasn't done that.

I noticed someone on twitter the other night said "McGhee has ruined every club he's ever been at #fact". It only takes a quick glance at his wikipedia to see that he got three clubs promoted and left Reading and Millwall in higher divisions than they were in when he took over. That is just making up plain lies to peddle an anti-McGhee agenda. Pretty pathetic if you ask me, so many of our supporters simply need to grow up.

• Like 1

There are rumours that he is down in Brighton a lot during the week and McFadden is taking training.

That's not acceptable from any manager.

If true, then you're 100% correct. It's not acceptable.

However, where are these rumours coming from? I wouldn't think it would be too hard to verify whether he's at training everyday or not. Considering the number of "in the know, wink wink" brigade on here, I doubt it would be difficult for them to speak to someone at the club to confirm or deny this.

If we fail to get positive results in the next two games, then McGhee should be nowhere near the Scotland set up or Wembley. His main focus should be on Motherwell F.C and he'll be the one carrying the responsibility of sorting it out. I'll be mightily pissed off if he does swan off on his other job, not because of what he done seven years ago, not because of what he says in press conferences, not because of his "ego", but because of his poor performance here and now.

I live at the training ground and I can assure you that more often than not McGhee is there taking training alongside McFadden, during international breaks however Faddy does take the training for a few days during this period and assisted by Jim Hollman the keeper coach and Stephen Craigan.

But, when players and associated staff are saying different?

Well that may be some trying to disrupt things but anytime i've been down personally to watch or passing by the pitches in the car i've always seen McGhee there like i said but apart from International breaks. I'm sure he does go home to Brighton from time to time but he did that regularly during our first spell and didnt really affect matters.

Considering the number of "in the know, wink wink" brigade on here, I doubt it would be difficult for them to speak to someone at the club to confirm or deny this.

But, when players and associated staff are saying different?

There y'are!

• Like 2

Can't put much of what I think about Wednesday better than O'Neils40Yarder or Desp have above.

Two wins in ten is simply not good enough and relegation form and I don't think I've seen many Motherwell sides so lacking in any creativity. I didn't know where a chance was going to come from the other night, let alone a goal. For all Ainsworth's flaws and inconsistency, we know he can make and score goals out of nothing. Especially in a side bereft of creativity since Johnson left, we should be doing more to utilise this for me.

I think McGhee finishing fifth with a streamlined version of Baraclough's squad last season was a great achievement and as such think he was a good appointment. This season, I am questioning him though. From what I can see just now, his summer dealings haven't set the heather on fire.

• Lasley is off the pace
  • Hammell continues to be injury prone
  • Samson is awful and Brill has yet to be trusted with his chance, despite Samson's form
  • Tait is poor defensively
  • Blyth and Belic are posted missing
  • Clay puts a shift in without adding a great degree of quality, and particularly isn't a Pearo replacement by any means
  • Lucas, a "deep lying playmaker" can't seem to make it into the team, particularly baffling considering Wednesday was hoof ball because no one would take a pass from the centre backs
I'm relatively happy with Heneghan and I think McHugh would have been a good signing, so I'll concede on those two.

What I don't get though, is the utter hatred, and hatred is the right word, for McGhee amongst our supporters. In addition to that, how many people seem to take pleasure in his shortcomings and are almost willing him to fail. What did he do to deserve this? He almost took the Hearts job? McCall almost took the Sheffield United job. He left for bigger wages to a club which it pains me to concede are a bigger club than us? Who hasn't done that.

I noticed someone on twitter the other night said "McGhee has ruined every club he's ever been at #fact". It only takes a quick glance at his wikipedia to see that he got three clubs promoted and left Reading and Millwall in higher divisions than they were in when he took over. That is just making up plain lies to peddle an anti-McGhee agenda. Pretty pathetic if you ask me, so many of our supporters simply need to grow up.

I don't think the hatred for McGhee is pathetic at all. I think its pretty justified. I agree that some people have been very aggressive in the way the dislike for him is portrayed but when you have a man who blatantly has no desire to be at motherwell other than to just pick up a wage and consistently makes decisions based on his own self importance you can't argue that a small club like motherwell need a manager who has a bit more of a connection with the club and the fans.

• Like 1

I don't think the hatred for McGhee is pathetic at all. I think its pretty justified. I agree that some people have been very aggressive in the way the dislike for him is portrayed but when you have a man who blatantly has no desire to be at motherwell other than to just pick up a wage and consistently makes decisions based on his own self importance you can't argue that a small club like motherwell need a manager who has a bit more of a connection with the club and the fans.

If you're using hatred in the literal sense, then it very much is pathetic. If you "hate" someone based on your perception of their personality and your experience of them managing a football club you support, it says far more about you than it ever could about them.

• Like 4

Unless that part in bold comes directly from Mark McGhee then it's simply your take on it. I certainly don't believe it to be blatant in any way, shape or form.

As for the "we need a manager who has a bit more of a connection", do me a favour. Baraclough was on the pitch doing speeches and dishing out hugs to the fans. If that's the connection people want, I'm more than happy with the current guy in charge.

Until the day comes when former club captain and club legend Stephen Craigan takes on the manager's job, before leading us to Scottish Cup glory, I can't think of any other manager better and more suited to the role as Motherwell manager.

• Like 4

Serious question. Where are all these reports that he doesn't want to be at the club? Certainly in his first stint in charge the flirting with Scotland, Hearts, bigging up the Celtic job were all there. Has he actually done any of this since he came back? I must have missed it.