Dom Thomas

Dom was one of the players I was sure would be the next Faddy, he looked so exciting and had something special about him.

He has never progressed when given his chance. In his defence he has never had a run in the team and has mostly been a sub.

I really want him to come good as in bits and bobs he has shown he has great ability.

I suppose what I'm asking is what does the majority think should be done with Dom, I actually think he is behind McLean in the pecking order.

I think a loan move to a team like Falkirk or Queen Of South would be the best for him as I can't see him getting a run in our team any time soon

It was obvious when he first got exposure to the first team that he'd need to bulk up to be effective.

We managed this with Cadden but there's been no imporvent with Thomas. Whether that's a difference in commitment or just genetics between each player I'm not sure.

It's even more disappointing that with Johnson now gone if Thomas was ready he'd be in the team.

Thomas hasn't beaten a man in about a year, granted his appearances have been limited. It has been sad that he hasn't moved on, development wise, If anything he may have regressed.

I do however think that Thomas should have went on loan 2 years ago and I feel that ship may have sailed.

Wouldn't surprise me to see him run his contract out and leave to try resurect his career. He may even end up like Moore. Out on loan for the last year of his contract.

Last season was the time to send him on loan. I think it was seven sub appearances he got under McGhee last season, only one of them eclipsing half an hour. I'd actually say he's gone backwards now, might be confidence related, but the gallus streak which seemed to be in his play when he first broke through just doesn't seem to be there anymore. Part of me actually thinks he was only in the squad on Saturday because Hastie was needed for the 20s on Sunday.

We managed this with Cadden but there's been no imporvent with Thomas. Whether that's a difference in commitment or just genetics between each player I'm not sure.

Most likely genetics.

Despite what a lot of posters on here seem to think you don't walk into a gym and 'bulk up'.

Most likely genetics.

Despite what a lot of posters on here seem to think you don't walk into a gym and 'bulk up'.

Thats like "he needs to put on a stone of muscle" despite the fact that to actually do that would take about 4 years and on someone like Dom Thomas would probably prevent him being able to bend his arms and legs.

• Like 1

Thats like "he needs to put on a stone of muscle" despite the fact that to actually do that would take about 4 years and on someone like Dom Thomas would probably prevent him being able to bend his arms and legs.

Pishing myself laughing at this cos the young fella I work with claims to have put on 30 pounds of muscle in the last 3 weeks. Only difference is he looks orange now cos he's been overdoing the sunbed too. Looking forward to hearing about how many lbs he's put on today when I go in - and, of course, how many babes he banged last night. Like with many posters on here, all you can do is nod and smile, nod and smile.

I hope Dom doesn't go the way of previous players like Ramsay Bryson, John Gray and Junior Burns. He undoubtedly has talent by the spadeful but for whatever reason can't seem to translate that into the first team. Yes, it could be lack of confidence and it could equally as well be lack of physique. Thats the reason he was released from Parkhead and why Craig Moore was released by Hearts. However players can put on muscle. Just look at Faddy - he must have put on a stone and a half of solid muscle in his first two years at Everton. Top English clubs have very professional set ups - sports scientists, excellent gyms, and goodness knows what other methods.

Either way Dom does need to step up to the plate.

Pishing myself laughing at this cos the young fella I work with claims to have put on 30 pounds of muscle in the last 3 weeks. Only difference is he looks orange now cos he's been overdoing the sunbed too. Looking forward to hearing about how many lbs he's put on today when I go in - and, of course, how many babes he banged last night. Like with many posters on here, all you can do is nod and smile, nod and smile.

I think he may have been pumping the steroids as well as the birds. Although don't suggest that. he might get angry :spiteful:

• Like 1

There's been discussion in the former players thread about Ross Forbes having the skills but not the physical characteristics to make it in the top flight. I just hope Dom isn't going to go the same way.

I think defenders have learned if they stand off they can show him out wide and then muscle him off the ball and he needs to be able to resist that.

Faddy or bust seems harsh. There's a lot of space in between.

The biggest things that has happened with Thomas is the fans (and i'll admit doing it) got carried away with a few bits of skill. He obviously needs to work with the coaches to improve but every sub appearance shouldn't be do or die. Give the guy a break and lower expectations.

• Like 4

The lack of good Sports Doctors and extravagant juicing systems definitely holds Scottish football back when compared to the more successful leagues.

Thomas building up his physique to compete with top level players will take years of hard work, probably more than he is willing to put in.

It must be his confidence.

He stands out in the U20s. Even more than Cadden did.

When he steps up, he doesn't have the same level of arrogance and rarely tries to take on his man.

Or: The Under-20s is much easier, and playing against teenagers is less difficult than playing against men.

Or: The Under-20s is much easier, and playing against teenagers is less difficult than playing against men.

^^^ Basically this.

From what I've seen of Thomas lately he's totally plateaued at that level, though I'd say he seems to have shown a bit more since he's come back from his stint out of the u20s & first team. Overall he can turn up week in week out and be one of the best players on the park playing against development league players.

He was outstanding the other week against Thistle but while the left back he was playing against was one of Thistle's 'bright hopes' (Penrice) he's also 17. A friend of mine who covers Thistle's u20s for their in house comms was watching the game with me and pointed out that Thomas was taking them apart and that was a fair assessment tbh.

He's got a lot to offer, and still does IMO, but he's currently coasting at development league level. There's a huge difference between that and playing first team football in the Premiership.

I might be wrong here, given I don't know him or the rest personally, but given he was lauded as the great hope from the 20s during Baraclough's reign, it seems to me that he kinda played to that tag and enjoyed being the big personality and the star man in the squad. I think the fact that he was expected to be the one that made the step up, his pride has probably taken a bashing in that Cadden has managed to break into the first team ahead of him and he's been left behind. I also think that he seems to have a cocky and gallus streak when you see him when he's playing with the 20s, but it's almost as if that disappears when he is in the first team alongside bigger characters, McDonald for example.

Dom Thomas should have been getting an extended run in the team years ago, instead he's been left to wither on the vine.

If you add up the 31 fragments of game time he's had it doesn't amount too much and he's not been exposed early enough or long enough to first team football.

Does he have a future? I don't know but I'll say this. Probably the best young player we've developed in recent times was Jamie Murphy. Jamie Murphy took probably about three seasons to settle into first team football, in the beginning it wasn't even certain what his position would be - midfielder? winger? striker? What Jamie Murphy got though was a chance starting with sub appearances that gradually transitioned into starts over an extended period until a time when he became an automatic pick. However, we had to develop him into a player, he didn't hit the ground running, like say, Chris Cadden has.

For me Dom Thomas has not been given that same opportunity to develop at first team level over an extended period. For a few years we seemed to completely lose focus on youth development. McGhee, who brought through the last batch of really good players (Reynolds, Hutchison, Murphy), seems to be doing something similar again.

Unfortunately for Dom Thomas his crucial development years might have come a bit too early.

• Like 1