East Stand Renamed

Toxteth O'Grady

Quote from the article

"He presided over the most consistent and successful spell in the clubs history when, between 1926 and 1934, the Steelmen never failed to finish outside the top three"

Surely any number of managers have achieved this.

Quote from the artice

"He presided over the most consistent and successful spell in the club’s history when, between 1926 and 1934, the Steelmen never failed to finish outside the top three"

Surely any number of managers have achieved this.

How many have been in charge though when we've been Champions of Scotland?

I support the change and when boxes, suites and stands have been named after others the absence of an acknowledgement to Sailor Hunter has been lacking. Good to see this remedied.

The Well Society discussions have been enlightening on the different ways we all support MFC and so there will differences in the depth of interest fans will have on what's gone before. For me I love to see our heritage recognised in ways like this.

All clubs do to a degree but we have a wonderful story to tell about our past - our colours being largely unique in Scotland, that Championship winning side that broke something like a 30 spell of dominance between Old Firm sides, the groundbreaking tours of Europe, Africa and South America, the goalscoring records of Willie MacFadyen and then your post war stuff that saw the Cup wins of the 1950's, St John's hat-trick, the floodlight friendlies against the likes of Flamenco right up the modern day record breaking points tallies and playing in the Champions League.

All wonderful stuff that deserves to be highlighted so newer generations of 'Well fans can learn of the legends that have gone before.

• Like 3

I'd have just left it named as is.

Don't know why every stand had to be named after a past hero.

As the article said, if it means just one 10 year old coming to a game asking their dad (or okay, more likely their grandad) about who John Hunter was, then it helps to keep that remarkable part of our history alive. The regulars will still call it the East anyway, so hard to see how it has any downsides really.

• Like 1

Totally support this decision. Easily the most significant figure in the history of our club. Important to recognise that and as others have said, ensure that younger fans get to learn about it.

The club have been slow in doing something & even now I'm not convinced the renaming of a crumbling terrace with seats on it where running pish is a feature is a fitting legacy.

I probably agree. It’s not ideal, however, we are running out of stands to rename. In an ideal world the guy deserves a statue, for what he achieved was nothing short of remarkable. :good: Some might even suggest that McGhee should be instructed to polish it on a monthly basis to remind him just how far removed he is from the great man. :ph34r:

If we've nae much money I don't want them spending it on paint. I say this from my lofty position in the yearly money eating main stand, however. ;-)

In all seriousness though...pleased it's being renamed and some cheap renovations wouldn't go a miss from what you easties (sailors?) say.