January Transfer Window

Kmcalpin

From Scotzine

With Skippy still here, why we would want to pay a grand a week, when we can't play him against his parent club. Even worse if we had lost Skippy or Moult then we'd be weakened for their game again as well.

maybe true, but he would only be here for 17 weeks. A little disappointed we decided not to bring in one of the best strikers in the country for the sake of £17k! We would make quadruple that on hospitality alone on the Rangers + Celtic home games if we made the top 6!

A little disappointed we decided not to bring in one of the best strikers in the country for the sake of £17k!

Bit over the score that, no?

4 goals in 11 last year for Celtic.

14 goals in 34 for United the year before, (6 from the spot, 2 from open play between January and May)

11 goals in 32 for United the year before

He's alright, like, but I wouldn't be chucking money after a guy that hasn't looked arsed in over a year.

From Scotzine

With Skippy still here, why we would want to pay a grand a week, when we can't play him against his parent club. Even worse if we had lost Skippy or Moult then we'd be weakened for their game again as well.

I think players on loan can play against any club now. Not playing against the parent club can't form part of the loan agreement.

If the option was between keeping McDonald and getting Ciftci on loan, it would be a no brainier for me. McDonald is probably our most vital player in my eyes, obviously Moult is fantastic and is a great goalscorer, but the influence McDonald has on him can't be understated. Ciftci hasn't played regularly in eighteen months and given he's a bit of a maverick anyway, it could take him a while to get up to speed and he could blow hot and cold, we know what we are getting with Skippy.

Having the three of them would have been nice, but then basing our style on a three pronged attacked would mean that Frear would almost instantly become a peripheral figure for them and we could only play three of: Lasley, Clay, Cadden, McHugh, Lucas and Pearson. Suppose it is nice to have options but that would perhaps have been overkill.

I've said a lot this season that of all the teams congregated on similar points to us, the thing that gives me most faith is the fact that I consider us to have better strikers than them. A window that we finish with both of them still here is a good window for me.

• Like 2

If the option was between keeping McDonald and getting Ciftci on loan, it would be a no brainier for me. McDonald is probably our most vital player in my eyes, obviously Moult is fantastic and is a great goalscorer, but the influence McDonald has on him can't be understated. Ciftci hasn't played regularly in eighteen months and given he's a bit of a maverick anyway, it could take him a while to get up to speed and he could blow hot and cold, we know what we are getting with Skippy.

Agree - why change something that's proven. There's not often been an argument that we have the best strike partnership in the league outside the old firm
  • Like 1

You can't play against your parent club if that's the deal as Ryan Christie can't play tonight as part of the deal he wouldn't be played against Celtic .

There is no deals. It is now automatic that you cannot play against your parent club. In the SPL days it was up to whatever the loan agreement says.

There is no deals. It is now automatic that you cannot play against your parent club. In the SPL days it was up to whatever the loan agreement says.

Do the club that loan players out not make up certain conditions before players are loaned out? Last season we were a long way off top six before we loaned Gomis, Hearts for instance said they forgot to put a clause in the deal preventing him featuring against them, but they obviously thought we would not play them again that season. Gomis was eligible to play but was left out.

I'm happy that Pearson is coming back, but I'm growing concerned at how many times we're having to go back go that particular well.

He's a good player, and he's available. What does it matter if he's been here before, or whether he's 24 or 34?

Pearson will enhance the squad. I don't see any negative about getting this deal done.

• Like 4

The Scotsman reporting that we turned down deals for Moult and McDonald from England and abroad on deadline day. If true well done to the club.

Alan Burrows already confirmed that was the case on Wednesday morning after the window shut and I'm pretty sure the club's in question are mentioned earlier in this thread. Port Vale and CSKA Sofia?

Confirmation that 2 offsets for Moult were rejected here: https://twitter.com/alan_burrows/status/826603203009581060