Boycott ?

gilmour

He warned me of this 4yrs ago when the happy clappers were so busy brown nosing McCall to see our demise in the distance.

He warned you that while finishing second, things might get worse? Some mystic, the big man.

I look at a team full of English non league players and think how can a support identify with these players, who with the exception of Moult are of lesser quality than we had or more worryingly than others seem to bring in. We are trying to find a nugget in the midden to sell on, not build a team playing exciting football, be competitive in the top 6 or win a cup, and that is why the apathy is growing. If that is the sum of our ambition and this is the level of excitement, what is the point of travelling all over the country and spending a fortune.

Why? Because we overspent, and we owe people money. We need to bring in players, to sell for a profit, to pay off the debts we have. What is it you're looking for? When you're saying the players are of a lesser quality than me had, what do you mean? Is that lesser quality than we had under McCall? McGhee last time? Butcher? Further back than that?

I see your point in terms of identifying with players, but this is on top of the claims of others that Lasley, Hammell, Pearson, McFadden and the likes are 'done' (whether they are or aren't is an argument for another day), who are about as 'Motherwell' as you could find.

I'm just not sure what it is you want from a Motherwell team.

I meant in comparison to recent history, can you honestly say we have players now as good as under McCall eg is Jules any better than Hutchison, Clay any better than Nicky Law. I am realistic about where we are as a club my point perhaps clumsily made was that we just seem to accept it rather than strive to improve it. Understand we need to be a selling club but we seem to be throwing a lot of mud at the wall for so far one success (marv) and potentially moult so perhaps the balance is wrong. Hopefully the current crop of kids on new contracts will bear more fruit but we seem intent on limiting their development by bringing in imo very limited players. Btw have great respect for our older club stalwarts and have never had a go at them. What do I want from a Motherwell team? Organisation, discipline, effort, reasonable level of skill, attempting attacking entertaining football, and busting a gut to win games. Notice I havent said winning things but trying to would be a start

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Tell you what. You come up with some brilliant idea that guarantees home crowd of say 10000 every match and the income will allow us to offer better wages to players. We might just, repeat might, just unearth some with more ability than we have now.

We have debts to serve and the Club have chosen a mix of lower league and youth to achieve their objectives.

I personally do not believe any player walks on to the park thinking "I am not going to try today". Lack of ability, mistakes, and possibly being asked to do a job he is not suited for will give that impression. Just like everyday life I suppose.

Now turned 60 I have followed the Well for over 45 years, have some shares, joined the well society, have worked at the club, and was also involved in the trust. I went home and away and introduced my 3 kids to the 'joys' of following the Well. I have had some wonderful times that old firm fans just will never understand, and most importantly met some terrific people. Just a month ago 7 of us who all met through MFC had a wonderful meal together to bid one of our number a fond farewell to his new life in the States. I have gained a huge amount by being a supporter and would never indulge in a 'boycott'.......but then I realised perhaps as others I have been 'boycotting' for a few years as my level of attendance has dropped from season ticket holder to maybe 1 in 3 home games and very few away. In fact, living away from the area, when I do go now the primary motive is to see the friends I have made over the years.

For me a defining moment was the Celtic Cup Final when we just didn't turn up or compete. There was a defeatist attitude that day and in many ways has been ever since, a mild acceptance of our place in the scheme of things which I believe affects the attitude shown on the park. We are not daft, we know we are a smaller club but as others have proved smaller clubs can do great things or at least bust a gut trying and that is what I see missing..... to me we use the lack of resource as a ready made excuse, rather than genuinely strive to be the best we can possibly be.

I look at a team full of English non league players and think how can a support identify with these players, who with the exception of Moult are of lesser quality than we had or more worryingly than others seem to bring in. We are trying to find a nugget in the midden to sell on, not build a team playing exciting football, be competitive in the top 6 or win a cup, and that is why the apathy is growing. If that is the sum of our ambition and this is the level of excitement, what is the point of travelling all over the country and spending a fortune.

There is a built in excuse for failure and when that situation exists failure is what will happen.

I can't pretend to have all the answers but what struck me is the apathy amongst us older ones rather than anger on Saturday.It is as if the support has given up as well....and that is a real worry.

Excellent post.

• Like 1

Tell you what. You come up with some brilliant idea that guarantees home crowd of say 10000 every match and the income will allow us to offer better wages to players. We might just, repeat might, just unearth some with more ability than we have now.

We have debts to serve and the Club have chosen a mix of lower league and youth to achieve their objectives.

I personally do not believe any player walks on to the park thinking "I am not going to try today". Lack of ability, mistakes, and possibly being asked to do a job he is not suited for will give that impression. Just like everyday life I suppose.

And on that note, a recent piece I saw about "Footballers and the meaningless old chestnut of ‘not trying’"

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/mar/01/footballers-not-trying-premier-league-leicester-city

Now turned 60 I have followed the Well for over 45 years, have some shares, joined the well society, have worked at the club, and was also involved in the trust. I went home and away and introduced my 3 kids to the 'joys' of following the Well. I have had some wonderful times that old firm fans just will never understand, and most importantly met some terrific people. Just a month ago 7 of us who all met through MFC had a wonderful meal together to bid one of our number a fond farewell to his new life in the States. I have gained a huge amount by being a supporter and would never indulge in a 'boycott'.......but then I realised perhaps as others I have been 'boycotting' for a few years as my level of attendance has dropped from season ticket holder to maybe 1 in 3 home games and very few away. In fact, living away from the area, when I do go now the primary motive is to see the friends I have made over the years.

For me a defining moment was the Celtic Cup Final when we just didn't turn up or compete. There was a defeatist attitude that day and in many ways has been ever since, a mild acceptance of our place in the scheme of things which I believe affects the attitude shown on the park. We are not daft, we know we are a smaller club but as others have proved smaller clubs can do great things or at least bust a gut trying and that is what I see missing..... to me we use the lack of resource as a ready made excuse, rather than genuinely strive to be the best we can possibly be.

There is a built in excuse for failure and when that situation exists failure is what will happen.

I can't pretend to have all the answers but what struck me is the apathy amongst us older ones rather than anger on Saturday.It is as if the support has given up as well....and that is a real worry.