Behind The Scenes

grizzlyg

I'm still getting over not having two wooden boards with numbers on them being clapped together when we want to make a sub

It was John Porteous that tended to do it IIRC in the days before 4th officials.

I remember the first time I heard the words technical area I near wet myself laughing.

:lol:

You're going back a bit there! For some reason I particularly remember that at Accies.

I have to admit to being surprised by how much I miss the scoreboard not being there to glance up at the time. It must have been a habit I wasn't even aware of.

Sometimes, they didn't even read them out. They just had a boy put up numbers on a board.

I found this picture of the old one at Bay View.

bs6.jpg

And there was a Subbuteo version:

Subbuteo-Ref-C111-Half-Time-Scoreboard-L

Also encourages more people to buy programmes so they can work out the secret half-time scores code:

A: nil - nil

B: one - nil

C: one - one

etc.

Ha! I remember that from the mid/early 80s when I started going to the games! Everyone gathered round a programme to check the scores at half time!

Why didnt they just read out the team names?

Ha! I remember that from the mid/early 80s when I started going to the games! Everyone gathered round a programme to check the scores at half time!

Why didnt they just read out the team names?

So you bought the programme. Or at least that was the theory from the would be commercial managers of the day. Obviously as your own experience confirms that could be easily worked around!

I could be misremembering, but I think the "secret" was that clubs listed the matches in different orders rather than the standard "alphabetical by home team" they do now.

It still wasn't difficult to work out though, as there was always somebody close by with a programme.

Or someone with a tranny.

I remember being at Accies (growing up in Hamilton I would sometimes go to midweek games or Saturday games when we were playing far away) and someone walked round the pitch with a big board with the letters and scores on. Something like:

A 1-0

B 0-0

C 2-1

and so on.

Also remember a board with the half time draw numbers on it.

Anyway, looking at my watch is a pain in the arse compared to glancing up at the clock but I suppose I'll get used to it!

Thanks Andy P, no jesting, was genuinely baffled.

You've every right to be. As normal as it seemed at the time, it is a weird system.

Made weirder by the fact that it was only the half-time scores that were reported. We had to listen to the radio on the way home, or get back to a telly before we found out the full-time scores.

• Like 1

Not quite sure if you're jesting or not but the ABC..... on the scoreboard would correspond with something like this in the programme...

c664936e73abd050e3dfcd0d450d4b1b--everto

Also note that the convention was to never have an "I" or an "O" in case people confused them with ones and zeroes.

http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2017/10/31/new-communications-manager

New Communications Manager

Tuesday, October 31, 2017

New Communications Manager

Motherwell FC is delighted to announce the appointment of Grant Russell as the clubs new Communications Manager.

Grant will be responsible for managing our club media output, PR and communications and marketing.

He joins from STV, where he has spent the last eight years working on their sport channels in digital media and TV. He helped establish STV Sport as one of the countrys leading websites, before crossing to STV News to be their Sports News Correspondent. Previously he worked with Livingston FC.

Grant, who started his new role this week, said: Im delighted to be joining Motherwell at such an exciting time for the club.

This is one of Scotlands most innovative and creative clubs and Im looking forward to working with the team to create an even better offering for our supporters.

This is one of Scotlands most innovative and creative clubs and Im looking forward to working with the team to create an even better offering for our supporters.

I want to bring fans even closer to the club by improving our communications with you, come up with new ways to excite you about what is going on at Fir Park, and give you as much access and insight as possible into what its like to be part of this club.

What makes Motherwell a fantastic place to be is its strong links with its supporters and the local community, and the hard-working mentality and desire to be the best that you see both on and off the pitch. Its great to be here.

Chief Operating Officer Alan Burrows added: Im delighted Grant has joined us and he will certainly add considerably to the off-field team we have at Motherwell.

The position around Communications and PR hasnt been filled since 2014, but Grant will also assist in a much wider remit that also covers club media, marketing and fan communication.

His valuable experience of working for a club and also with a news broadcaster will hopefully improve our links with the Scottish media and enhance our club communication across various channels.

You can follow Grant on Twitter @grantrussell_

• Like 2