Scottish Premiership Game 12: Ross County (A) 04/11/17 15:00

Yabba's Turd

I thought he misjudged the flight of the ball and tried to rise to intercept but wasn't quick enough.

At the second goal he got sucked into midfield chasing a ball he'd given away. It's not the first time he's done it but it's the first time he's been really punished for it. He just needs to learn from it and know when he has to let a player go and get back in position.

Hopefully we're getting the mistakes out of our system before the cup final.

In hindsight, dropping/resting/not playing Campbell and Bowman was a massive mistake, as was playing Tanner as a striker rather than a number 10 behind 2 strikers like he was v Dundee.

Someone made an excellent point on P&B (Al B?) that whilst its great Robinson is very reactive/proactive about rectifying mistakes and changing it if it isnt working, hes having to do that every other game. It would be preferable (obviously) if the 11 on the pitch worked from the start.

I wonder if he purposely plays tactics or players the first half just to keep the game even and then the second half goes for the win ? So he may not care about the first half performance as much as he cares about the HT score. Obviously that went awry at the county game and as mentioned in other thread, may not be a good ploy Vs Celtic to try and keep it even to half time. Better the Aberdeen ploy of going at it right form the start.

I've thought in the past that the emphasis has often seemed to be on winning the physical battle in the first half and then changing things in the second if needed to try to win the game.

Going by the line up on Saturday that didn't seem to be the approach at County - maybe need to get back to worked before.

I've thought in the past that the emphasis has often seemed to be on winning the physical battle in the first half and then changing things in the second if needed to try to win the game.

The best I've seen Bigirimana and Tanner play was away at Hibs when they came on in the second half when space was opening up so there may be something in 'keep it tight, playing your more physical midfield in the first half' theory.

Of course, the flipside to that is that we may be trying to vary our approach to combat teams knowing our style...

Theres definitely an element of that in our approach to matches, and our successful run. Given the priority Robinson attaches to fitness and physicality, I think he very much plans for us to battle our way to half time, then involve our more creative midfielders (Bigi, Tanner, Frear) in the second half once the game opens up and our superior fitness comes more into effect.

If we can battle away in the first half and either be on even terms or narrowly in front at half time, it gives us a platform to bring some quality into the game at a time when our opponents are tiring.

To me, this is a key part of Robinsons preferred approach to games - fight and earn the right to play your game.