Penalties

joewarkfanclub

Given that we have already had 5 penalties this season, and not being a club who tends to get the benefit of that many, it got me thinking what would our club record be for number of penalties in a season?

I had a look in Transfermarket at our stats for the last 3 seasons and it didnt surprise me that the total of penalties in all competitions were 4, 5 and 5.

It also got me wondering if this is is just an anomaly this season, or is it down to the style of football Stevie Hammell is employing?

More possession, more chances, more time in the opposition box, more penalties?

Discuss........

Update

Having a look back at the last 10 years, the most we have ever had is 6.

The average is 5 across the whole period.

Given how many European qualifications we have had and 3 best of the rest finishes, that is quite something.

Of course we might not get another penalty for the rest of the season, but that seems unlikely.

There could be a few things at play here. 

1) the handball rule is a complete nonsense. Lots of pens are given now when the ball is blasted of peoples arms.  Players now need to hide arms behind them. 

2) we have a lot more shots at goal than we've had for as long as I can remember, takes me back to Mcghee v1 style of play.   A nod to how Hammel has set us up. 

3) a bit a purple streak for now, likely to settle down over the season. 

4 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

If that was the case, surely other clubs would have seen an upturn in penalty awards? 

Yes you would think so but that assumes there have been the same sort of incidents spread over all of the other teams to give the refs a decision to make but that might not be the case.

3 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

the amount of shots we have on goal is much higher than I can remember, ping shots in and around the goal will have something to do with it. 

Its certainly the explanation given as to why the big 2 get more decisions. That and the influence of the crowd.......

23 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Given that we have already had 5 penalties this season, and not being a club who tends to get the benefit of that many, it got me thinking what would our club record be for number of penalties in a season?

I had a look in Transfermarket at our stats for the last 3 seasons and it didnt surprise me that the total of penalties in all competitions were 4, 5 and 5.

It also got me wondering if this is is just an anomaly this season, or is it down to the style of football Stevie Hammell is employing?

More possession, more chances, more time in the opposition box, more penalties?

Discuss........

In 2004/05 we had several penalties scored by Richie Foran and a few by Kevin McBride. Don’t know the exact number though but it certainly seemed like a lot.

5 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

In 2004/05 we had several penalties scored by Richie Foran and a few by Kevin McBride. Don’t know the exact number though but it certainly seemed like a lot.

Well remembered.

According to Transfermarket it was 9.

6 scored.

4 by McBride

2 by Foran.

Misses from Foran, Hamilton & Clarkson.

So had a trawl thru transfermarket stats. They only do from season 2001 onwards.

The most we have been awarded is 9.

In season 2009/2010 we had 8 with Ross Forbes scoring 5 of them, Sutton 2 and Juke 1. 

A couple of seasons we had 6 but the rest were between 3 and 5.

Certainly in the modern era this season is looking at being on the high end of the spectrum already.

2 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Well remembered.

According to Transfermarket it was 9.

6 scored.

4 by McBride

2 by Foran.

Misses from Foran, Hamilton & Clarkson.

Is that just for league games? I remember Foran scoring penalties against Celtic in a 3-2 loss, Hearts at Tynecastle and then in the LC Semi at Easter Road. He also missed one at Tynecastle late in the season. McBride scored from the spot against Hearts and Rangers in the league but can’t remember any more.

edit: McBride scored a penalty against Morton at Cappielow in the League Cup.

46 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

Is that just for league games? I remember Foran scoring penalties against Celtic in a 3-2 loss, Hearts at Tynecastle and then in the LC Semi at Easter Road. He also missed one at Tynecastle late in the season. McBride scored from the spot against Hearts and Rangers in the league but can’t remember any more.

edit: McBride scored a penalty against Morton at Cappielow in the League Cup.

The figures given were for all competitions.

Cant confirm their accuracy........

19 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Its certainly the explanation given as to why the big 2 get more decisions. That and the influence of the crowd.......

This season (league stats) Rangers and Celtic have a combined penalty to shot ratio of 1 in 239

We have a penalty to shot ratio of 1 in 28

A lot of football is just.....random.

• Like 1