The gaffer reflects: The season so far

SteelmaninOZ

It was nice to have a review season so far, but it would be even better if he updated us on our injury front for the restart of the season, does McGinley still exist, I can understand not telling us who the targets are for transfer window, but it would be nice to know what is happening with our existing squad, there is people asking for Penny to get signed permanently but he could be away at the beginning of January as his loan period will be completed. Even Robinson when managing would update occasionally on the injured players, but nowadays it radio silence!

8 hours ago, middleeastdave said:

It was nice to have a review season so far, but it would be even better if he updated us on our injury front for the restart of the season, does McGinley still exist, I can understand not telling us who the targets are for transfer window, but it would be nice to know what is happening with our existing squad, there is people asking for Penny to get signed permanently but he could be away at the beginning of January as his loan period will be completed. Even Robinson when managing would update occasionally on the injured players, but nowadays it radio silence!

I also find the lack of information very frustrating.  We used to have very good lines of communication between the club and the fans. It all seemed to change with Alexander and hasnt improved since. Im not sure what advantage the club feels we get from it in a league where we play each other 4 times a season and sometimes more. 

If the players don't want their medical issues paraded around the daily red-tops then there's not much the club can do about it. It's the players' right to keep it private if they want to.

Social media and 24hr news cycles means we are all keen to get hourly updates on everything going on.

When Robinson used to discuss injuries and availability, 90% of it was BS anyway, so I'm not sure it really helps.

8 hours ago, weeyin said:

If the players don't want their medical issues paraded around the daily red-tops then there's not much the club can do about it. It's the players' right to keep it private if they want to.

Social media and 24hr news cycles means we are all keen to get hourly updates on everything going on.

When Robinson used to discuss injuries and availability, 90% of it was BS anyway, so I'm not sure it really helps.

Theres a huge difference between airing private medical issues in public, and keeping fans appraised of availability and timescale for return of players due to injury. Both things dont have to be mutually exclusive. 

Its also sometimes better to control the narrative by giving out a little information, rather than letting supporters come to their own conclusions. The Calum Slattery situation is a perfect example of that.

• Like 1