Motherwell v Hibernian 08/01/2023

SteelmaninOZ

Just now, El Grew said:

We’re now in a 4-team league scrapping to try and preserve our Premiership status with Kilmarnock, Dundee Utd & Ross County.

Next run of league fixtures:

Ross Cnty (H), St. Mirren (A), St Johnstone (H), Aberdeen (A), St Mirren (H), Hearts (H), Kilmarnock (A).

Under normal circumstances all winnable but not with our dross.

They fixtures will make or break us,go into them with hammell in charge and we can forget it.

• Like 2

We don't have the players to play the way Hammel wants. We need to either sign a bunch, which it looks like we're struggling to do, or change the way we play. Shields isn't good, but we're killing him by running him out there every week. 

There were good bits here and there, I thought Spittal played well in the advanced role, and we did manage to score twice and hit the bar twice, but we make way too many basic mistakes then just shrug the shoulders and move on when they cost us.

Hibs brought on two defenders to hang onto the lead, and ended up walking the ball into our net. This is the softest motherwell side I've seen.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, El Grew said:

We’re now in a 4-team league scrapping to try and preserve our Premiership status with Kilmarnock, Dundee Utd & Ross County.

Next run of league fixtures:

Ross Cnty (H), St. Mirren (A), St Johnstone (H), Aberdeen (A), St Mirren (H), Hearts (H), Kilmarnock (A).

Under normal circumstances all winnable but not with our dross.

Killie and Hibs at home and Livi away were winnable - we took 2 points out of 9. We are a relegation certainly under Hammell . Our fixtures won’t save us. 

Time for Hammell to go along with the glorified photographer . Being a Motherwell man doesn’t make you a success - we are a sinking ship under these two 

We have CB’s that don’t win challenges we have the slowest midfield in the league, we need about 5 starters in this window which we won’t get, Hammell can’t turn this around he lacks ideas, he lacks knowledge, the whole team needs cleared out, sorry to say but only a miracle will keep us up.

2 minutes ago, smiddy said:

ffs yesterday we were talkin about hivs n ross county being make or break    were just moving the make or break on   were fucki shite 

I couldn't agree more,we can't keep looking at the fixtures and hoping that were going on a run of picking up points,the evidence is that we will do the complete opposite.

Suck it up boys and accept our fate we are the worst team in the league atm and have been for around a year now. We have Hammel as our manager, who like the previous manager will not introduce the young players and persists with the failures and unless he elects to walk away he will still be there at the end of the season. 

As I've said before our next manager is already in the door Kettlewell so just accept our fate calm down, shut you're eyes until we can clear our the dross that pose as a first team.

We scored 2, hit the bar twice and Marshall had a very good save.

Middle to front we are fine and actually play watchable football.

The other end is the issue.

We are a bag of nerves every time a team is in or near our box.  I don't even think it's the players necessarily.  It's a confidence thing.

Kelly isn't making the outstanding saves he was making before.  Lamie and Johansen aren't bad in the air but they aren't winning the headers.  Too many mistakes.  Players not getting close enough.  Very poor goals being given away every week.

We desperately need an experienced defender to come in, someone who is a leader - a Peter Hartley type.

I've actually enjoyed the football we've played in the last two matches but you cannot be conceding 2 or 3 goals at home to bottom 6 teams.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mfc said:

I couldn't agree more,we can't keep looking at the fixtures and hoping that were going on a run of picking up points,the evidence is that we will do the complete opposite.

This team doesn’t have it in them to go on a winning or even just unbeaten run of three/four or so matches. We will get draws here and there and we may even managed to win sometime but we will lose more than we win because we are shite. 

What is even more worrying imo is that the heads look as though they are starting to drop and frustration is ramping up by the week. The longer we go without a win after all the points we have chucked away of late then the confidence in tue dressing room will evaporate very quickly.

1 minute ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

We are a bag of nerves every time a team is in or near our box.  I don't even think it's the players necessarily.  It's a confidence thing.

Kelly isn't making the outstanding saves he was making before.  Lamie and Johansen aren't bad in the air but they aren't winning the headers.  Too many mistakes.  Players not getting close enough.  Very poor goals being given away every week.

We desperately need an experienced defender to come in, someone who is a leader - a Peter Hartley type.

I've actually enjoyed the football we've played in the last two matches but you cannot be conceding 2 or 3 goals at home to bottom 6 teams.

ever since a played football  years n years ago you are told one of a few things 

stand over the ball at a free kick and DONT FUCKIN LET THEM TAKE A QUICK ONE ,    see motherwell for what we do 

2 minutes ago, MJC said:

This team doesn’t have it in them to go on a winning or even just unbeaten run of three/four or so matches. We will get draws here and there and we may even managed to win sometime but we will lose more than we win because we are shite. 

What is even more worrying imo is that the heads look as though they are starting to drop and frustration is ramping up by the week. The longer we go without a win after all the points we have chucked away of late then the confidence in tue dressing room will evaporate very quickly.

Exactly the confidence levels will be plummeting by the week,we can't even rely on any sort of form at home as a pick me up,I said at the time that I think losing that 2 goal lead to kilmarnock will tip us to the point where I don't think we will come back from it.

4 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Our midfield is a bigger issue than the defence . Goss decent in a good team but he’s not in a good team. The offer no help to defence or attack , Slatterly , Spittal are slow , can’t tackle , can’t press and are generally shite bags. 

McGeady had 3 men around him and still crossed the ball at first goal , 3rd goal we gave the ball away in midfield .

There’s only one man who can changr he the midfield and he doesn’t want to - worst team I’ve seen in 36 years. Spineless, rudderless and only heading one way / hang your head in shame Mr Burrows - out your depth 

Frustrating to say the least, Kevin Nisbet had three touches in our box and each time it ended with the ball in our net. Apart from a Porteous free kick going well wide I don't remember them actually having another pop at goal. I guess that tells the story of where we are. Any points today would have been greatly received due to the games in hands over some of our rivals but we blew it as per. We're barely past the half way point in the league and next week already feels like a must win. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Motherwellfc1991 said:

Our midfield is a bigger issue than the defence . Goss decent in a good team but he’s not in a good team. The offer no help to defence or attack , Slatterly , Spittal are slow , can’t tackle , can’t press and are generally shite bags. 

McGeady had 3 men around him and still crossed the ball at first goal , 3rd goal we gave the ball away in midfield .

There’s only one man who can changr he the midfield and he doesn’t want to - worst team I’ve seen in 36 years. Spineless, rudderless and only heading one way / hang your head in shame Mr Burrows - out your depth 

It's not the worst team in 36 years.

People on here have short memories.  Remember the latter days of Robinson when you knew we'd do absolutely nothing every week?

And you need players like Goss if you want to do anything.  That ball he played over the Hibs defence in the first half.  Absolute class.  It's the other players that aren't doing enough.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MJC said:

We learn absolutely nothing from one week to the next. The same basic errors leading to goals all the time.

Same basic players all shite is the 3 stooges playi

37 minutes ago, smiddy said:

to be fair   YODO has said that since the start of the season 

Yip hate say I told u so but the 3 stoogies were never Well class . The thing is SH kept playing them instead of trying a formation without them in it . Board has big decision to make in the next week and will need to live or die by it

8 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

People on here have short memories.  Remember the latter days of Robinson when you knew we'd do absolutely nothing every week?

And you need players like Goss if you want to do anything.  That ball he played over the Hibs defence in the first half.  Absolute class.  It's the other players that aren't doing enough.

1 ball 90 mins         good average ????    heez a flair player n we dont fuckin need flair players just now 

7 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

2 wins from 16 ( think I am correct) 

1 home win all season 

it’s the worse team I can remember . We don’t have one sellable asset , we don’t have one leader , one fighter one player who can open up the opposition or get us off our seats . Craig Clay, Lee Lucas, Kai Nysonen , Willie Falconer and Shaun Fagen would get a game in this team at the moment.

I said Goss could be good in a good team but he has dross around about him . His great pass you mention highlights this - he passed it to Shields who headed it to Marshall  .Only the Motherwell protected legend can select shields to start so the blame lies at his door. Options of course are grim but he keeps doing the same thing every week. 

I saw nothing on the pitch today to suggest we will stay and saw nothing from the management team or the board. 

Tough one to take. Really poor for the first 20 mins, gave away another soft goal, then managed to get on top for most of the rest of the game but just didn’t take our chances until the subs came on. Nisbet the difference between the teams, looked really sharp and took pretty well every chance he got, although defending from us looked terrible for all 3.

No doubt Hammell’s struggling but the biggest issue we have is that we just don’t have the personal. Van Veen terrible again today, looks uninterested but he knows he’ll start next week anyway as there’s no competition for places. 

As a few others have said we need to stick by Hammell and back him in the transfer window. 

• Like 1