Motherwell v Hibernian 08/01/2023

SteelmaninOZ

5 minutes ago, Dossertillidie2 said:

Ironically it was hammell that pushed for turnbull to get a chance so he has a track record of knowing when to play youngsters

same fans on here wanting Cornelius to be given a chance now wanting Maguire back instead . The amount of contrafuckery by some of our fans is rediculous. 

Cornelius and Maguire will be playing for Stirling Albion soon...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dossertillidie2 said:

Ironically it was hammell that pushed for turnbull to get a chance so he has a track record of knowing when to play youngsters

same fans on here wanting Cornelius to be given a chance now wanting Maguire back instead . The amount of contrafuckery by some of our fans is rediculous. 

I’m struggling to grasp why hammell would be pushing for turnbull to play?? You perhaps getting mixed up with craigan as turnbull was part of his squad at the time?

• Like 1

Here is the solution .. and it suits all ..

Give Hammy his job back in Development and let Stuart Kettlewell take the first team … 

or … let Kettlewell help Hammy till the end of the season and see where we are then ..

At least Kettlewell has experience of fighting a relegation battle and will have some different ideas surely , rather than playing the same dross week in week out and somehow expecting things to change

11 minutes ago, davkel said:

Here is the solution .. and it suits all ..

Give Hammy his job back in Development and let Stuart Kettlewell take the first team … 

or … let Kettlewell help Hammy till the end of the season and see where we are then ..

At least Kettlewell has experience of fighting a relegation battle and will have some different ideas surely , rather than playing the same dross week in week out and somehow expecting things to change

Kettlewell? The man that nearly got county relegated when he was no longer co-manager, then got sacked for John Hughes? 

Shields an easy target but he ain't the one that picks the team. Plenty others culpable especially Megaphone Sol (please start Blaney) and Spittal . Goss brutal and Penney also poor.  We have no leadership in that team and I feel there has to be a place for a Scottish internationalist with 25 caps. And for all his goals KVV is not the guy you want when the chips are down, the application and workrate brutal ( that's my opinion). As fans we need to keep the head and encourage them, constant criticism ain't gonna help...COYW

• Like 2

2 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

Kelly

johnson McGinn Lamie O’Donnel

Tierney Goss Penny

Spittal  KVV McKinstrey

I was thinking the same thing about the back four. Johnston is a must so whichever out of him and O'Donnell is more comfortable at left back.

I'd go 4-4-2 though, drop Spittal and have Maguire doing nothing else but tracking runners from midfield and shielding the defence.

15 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Plenty others culpable especially Megaphone Sol (please start Blaney) 

I know you don't like Sol as you hit the Megaphone Sol quip every week even when the guy performs fine but on today's showing I think the defence were equally culpable as each other, we had three players trying to stop 36 year old chocolate knees Aiden McNeddy for the first goal and failed. Lamie came on to a game last year but I feel he is reverting back to his first season habits, how many long balls did he launch out of play. I'm sure Blaney is a left footed defender so in terms of balance its likely its his position he'll take. Mugabi isn't due to return to March and it seems it's the forward areas we're looking to strengthen so it's going to comic cuts continuing until the end of the campaign.

• Like 1

Pretty much a must win home game and we lost. I said before the Livingston game that 5 points would be the minimum acceptable return from the next 3 games and we'll achieve 4 at best. I'm not even confident for next week.

Missed chances, hitting woodwork etc don't count.....points do. Even in the early stages, the midfield and defence looked shambolic. Partly down to players but really at the door of management.  I'm not Penney's biggest fan but for the whole of the first half he was left totally exposed and nothing was done about it. No-one was covering in front of him. Again up front, Van Veen looked isolated.  Not quite sure about Blair Spittal's contribution at all and I'd have hooked him at half time. Lamie looked what he is a decent back up but not first pick, as David Martindale will no doubt tell you.  Still today's loss was not down to individuals and I'd be  wrong to blame Penney, Lamie or Spittal for that. I've been critical of Kelly of late but he was blameless today. Stuart McKinstry ought to have started and came on 45 minutes too late. Hammell just isn't playing his charges to their strengths.

Poor referee today with Porteous getting off with murder. Presumably its still a foul for booting the ball away after a foul has been awarded? Ah, I forgot Chris Long wasn't playing today. Still we have far bigger issues than poor refereeing to deal with tonight.

10 minutes ago, pretzel said:

I know you don't like Sol as you hit the Megaphone Sol quip every week even when the guy performs fine but on today's showing I think the defence were equally culpable as each other, we had three players trying to stop 36 year old chocolate knees Aiden McNeddy for the first goal and failed. Lamie came on to a game last year but I feel he is reverting back to his first season habits, how many long balls did he launch out of play. I'm sure Blaney is a left footed defender so in terms of balance its likely its his position he'll take. Mugabi isn't due to return to March and it seems it's the forward areas we're looking to strengthen so it's going to comic cuts continuing until the end of the campaign.

I dont hit the megaphone Sol every week, I happily praise guys when they play well and yes he wasn't the only poor performer today. Lamie's distribution was brutal and Penney's defending for 2nd goal was embarrassing.  Sadly we have no other options but surely Blaney deserves a chance, if not then why on earth did we sign him

22 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Poor referee today with Porteous getting off with murder. Presumably its still a foul for booting the ball away after a foul has been awarded? Ah, I forgot Chris Long wasn't playing today. Still we have far bigger issues than poor refereeing to deal with tonight.

Same ref as last week vs Livi. He booked Slattery for diving in the box last week but wasn't consistent today when the Hibs guy done it. Newell kicked the ball away numerous times, actual launches down the park. Also the very last chance of the game, Porteous swipes at Solholm at edge of the box tripping him right under refs nose, just as Van Veen is about to swipe at Johnstons cross Porteous cuts the cross out, no foul of yellow. It's a shame how poor the officials are in our country. But yeah I agree we have bigger issue at home needing addressing.

6 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Forgetting our performance surely if a player suffers a head injury so severe that he is unable to stand up and  convulses violently he should be assesed by a doctor?

Are you talking about porteous going down as if shot from the east stand .  An all round cheat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

Shields an easy target but he ain't the one that picks the team. Plenty others culpable especially Megaphone Sol (please start Blaney) and Spittal . Goss brutal and Penney also poor.  We have no leadership in that team and I feel there has to be a place for a Scottish internationalist with 25 caps. And for all his goals KVV is not the guy you want when the chips are down, the application and workrate brutal ( that's my opinion). As fans we need to keep the head and encourage them, constant criticism ain't gonna help...COYW

FFS take away Van Veens goals this season and we would have 9pts. I don't care he never tackles a player but at least he is contributing. He is the last guy that should be getting shit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ppower said:

FFS take away Van Veens goals this season and we would have 9pts. I don't care he never tackles a player but at least he is contributing. He is the last guy that should be getting shit.

I am not denying KVV goals have been vital but the workrate is shocking, believe you me there are worse issues throughout the team but I don't believe he should be exempt from criticism 

22 minutes ago, ppower said:

Watch him in a game he's lazy, jogs about in games, hardly tackles, waits for the ball to come to him instead of going to win it, too easily forced off the ball, rarely if ever tracks back and generally jogs through a game looking like he does not give a feck.

Yes he has scored a few goals and yes we would be a lot worse off without them, but for long periods in games he's a passenger contributing feck all, if he applied himself a bit more, we could have had another few goals and eased the position we are in, his work rate is shocking.

Today's game, Kevin Nisbet just back from a 9 month injury yo his ACL, never stopped running, chased everything and got 3 goals while KVV was watching him run past him,we need players to do that not watch the game pass them by.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Watch him in a game he's lazy, jogs about in games, hardly tackles, waits for the ball to come to him instead of going to win it, too easily forced off the ball, rarely if ever tracks back and generally jogs through a game looking like he does not give a feck.

Yes he has scored a few goals and yes we would be a lot worse off without them, but for long periods in games he's a passenger contributing feck all, if he applied himself a bit more, we could have had another few goals and eased the position we are in, his work rate is shocking.

Today's game, Kevin Nisbet just back from a 9 month injury yo his ACL, never stopped running, chased everything and got 3 goals while KVV was watching him run past him,we need players to do that not watch the game pass them by.

Yes, for all his potential ability at our level, he is very  frustrating. A small example was just before HT, when Penney was looking to shy it to him quickly but he had turned around and started to jog to the Hibs goal, not watching what was going on. When the defender shouted something at him, he gave a dismissive "I wasn't ready" shrug. He looks lazy, huffy and arrogant but he's all we've got up front just now.

Watching the highlights was excruciating last night. Hammy picks the team but you can't legislate for the defending for our goals.  When we can't do the basics it really is a concern.  We have played 4 at the back and won 2 out of 16 games!!, Is it worth playing back 3 of mcginn Blaney Lamie and having SOD and Penney as wing backs?  Just a suggestion