Current youth prospects

fizoxy

It’s a bit concerning, in my opinion, the lack of updates regarding our youth system. Other than when they are loaned out to lower league clubs we get little to nothing in the way of information regarding what is going on about who is standing out, who is showing promise and who is the promising hope for the future. 

As a club we really need to be bringing through youth players who can make that transition to the first team but we don’t see enough of that. Obviously this season we have seen Miller, Luca Ross, Speirs, Ferrie being either involved in match day squads or getting game time, but Speirs is now out on loan and we’ve only really seen Miller being involved, albeit on a limited basis, which is understandable as he is only 16/17. Even Max Johnston spent the first half of the season out on loan though he is now appearing for the first team.

But for a club that puts a lot of emphasis on communication with the support we hear very little about who is making the grade at youth level and that is a worry for me.

Unless they are about to make a step-up, I'm not sure public report cards on the youngsters are necessarily a healthy thing.

It's fine if we are talking them up, but I can't imagine "Bob isn't doing enough this month to earn a first team start" is very useful.

The main problem, I suppose, has been the scrapping of the U20s and being left with a Reserve League that is a bit of a mix of senior and youth players, and only when the shambles of a fixture list is operating.

When we had regular U20s matches we were able to see players in action and the coaches could give constructive feedback on specific games.

Of course Max Johnston has started recently and Stuart McKinstry is an academy product, albeit a loaner.

I watched the game against EK in the cup and theres a couple of talents there obviously Lennon Miller is the standout in midfield Speirs is also a very talented player who will benefit from a loan and Ross out wide is very raw but direct with a decent strike ive not seen too much our centre halfs coming through dont appear to be anything to special and Wilson is doing alright in L2 on loan from what ive heard outside that Sam Cambell was being linked with Liverpool not long ago not sure whats happened there

12 hours ago, Mad Dog said:

Turned them down then got a bad injury as far as I can remember.

I asked on Twitter where he was the other day as he was on bench for first team games, up at County rings a bell then he disappeared off the face of the planet - hopefully he comes back from it and makes a case for first team spot!