2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

I like Grimmy and thought he was sometimes underrated at Fir Park - partly because we played him at right back so often when he operates better as a traditional midfielder.

I think he's a great fit for a team like Utd pushing for a quick return to the Premiership.

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

I like Grimmy and thought he was sometimes underrated at Fir Park - partly because we played him at right back so often when he operates better as a traditional midfielder.

I think he's a great fit for a team like Utd pushing for a quick return to the Premiership.

Trouble was he could not pass a decent ball to save his life. 

39 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Trouble was he could not pass a decent ball to save his life. 

A I said, underrated.

He was the captain of the Man Utd Academy team and even played for the Man U reserves. You don't make it that far at Old Trafford if you don't have the basics. They're not exactly short of options.

His play was old-school at times, but if you have the right balance in midfield that can be an asset.

• Like 2

Cornelius away to Harrogate, official.

A shame to see him go but good luck to him.

Edit: and now Harry Paton confirmed on a two year deal.

My enthusiasm for the new season knows no ends now. :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, weeyin said:

A I said, underrated.

He was the captain of the Man Utd Academy team and even played for the Man U reserves. You don't make it that far at Old Trafford if you don't have the basics. They're not exactly short of options.

His play was old-school at times, but if you have the right balance in midfield that can be an asset.

He did and he was indeed old school. But underrated? not for me. I wish him well but he’s playing in the championship next season for a reason, he’s technically around top championship level. A number of Motherwell managers did not have him as a regular starter which tells its own story.

• Like 1

I suspect I need to lower my expectations.  Neither Obika or Paton fill me with enthusiasm. 

If we're to improve as a team we need to improve our starting 11.  

There's plenty of stick being flung around at brining back ex-players who were once good.  Bringing back players from last year who were ok squad players feels pretty meh. 

Not trying to offend or write anyone off here. Hope they both prove to be decent. 

10 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Paton signs 2yr deal, no doubt folk will have him written off already. 

I actually thought he looked decent last season and we needed a replacement in that area after Deano leaving 

Having only seen him perform in a cameo role, I’m not even sure what type of midfielder he is. However, Kettlewell rates him, so I guess he must have something to offer. 

• Like 1

From the limited amount we saw of Paton at the end of last season, I would say he is a decent squad player. 

I personally thought he did fine when he was asked to come on do a job.

Given that Cornelius has gone and we will be due a development fee for him, I dont think its the worst peice of business.

I suspect that there will be further additions to come in midfield, so it will be up to him to push on and show he is deserving of a starting position.

Good luck to Deano btw. Backing yourself to make it in another league is a gutsy move. Hooe it works out for the boy.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

I suspect I need to lower my expectations.  Neither Obika or Paton fill me with enthusiasm. 

There's plenty of stick being flung around at brining back ex-players who were once good.  Bringing back players from last year who were ok squad players feels pretty meh. 

Not trying to offend or write anyone off here. Hope they both prove to be decent. 

I think SK wants to keep those he knows he can work with and trust, and just add a little in the areas we need to improve. Otherwise its major surgery again which we dont have the money for.

I would think there will be a few still under contract who will have been told we wont be difficult to deal with if they can find a new club as their gametime will be limited. Whether they choose to take up that option or are happy to warm the bench remains to be seen.

9 minutes ago, pretzel said:

I see Dean invested in a new hairpiece for his new club, I take it he was away to Turkey a jolly. 

I hope the move works out for him. 

Was about to say the same.

Signing on fee put towards hair transplant and veneers.

31 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Two year deal? We are getting the cunt ripped out of us on a grand scale.

I take it Kettlewell and Paton share an agent?

It’s called trust …plus you don’t know what sort of wage he is getting to say that

2 minutes ago, davkel said:

It’s called trust …plus you don’t know what sort of wage he is getting to say that

The guy was unemployed and was poor or average in his appearances for us. If he's not happy to take a year deal to prove himself then he leave. 

As it stands he piss poor and injury prone and likely to be another contract like Morris, Maguire, Shields, Danzaki, McGinley where we are stuck paying guys who contribute nothing.

1 hour ago, wellsince75 said:

Who would be on your shopping list ? Mind they must be available and or not cost much . No one jumps out at me yet. 

36 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Two year deal? We are getting the cunt ripped out of us on a grand scale.

I take it Kettlewell and Paton share an agent?

Let us know who you would sign then, give us the benefit of your wisdom or why not try some positivity for a change instead of writing off every player we sign. Did you study hard for your UEFA Pro licenses then or was it a special class in Internet trolling and negativety you took its quite sad really.

6 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Let us know who you would sign then, give us the benefit of your wisdom or why not try some positivity for a change instead of writing off every player we sign. Did you study hard for your UEFA Pro licenses then or was it a special class in Internet trolling and negativety you took its quite sad really.

I don't know who's available but I know that we picked up Obika at the deadline in January and pulled Paton out a job centre in March. 

The priority should be signing starters first when we have the most budget to work with then if we need duds to round out the squad get them last minute where there are always plenty of Obika/Paton types available. 

Butcher is out injured for the few months of the season. That just leaves Kelly in terms of players we can rely on. The squad is as bad as it's ever been.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, steelboy said:

I don't know who's available but I know that we picked up Obika at the deadline in January and pulled Paton out a job centre in March. 

The priority should be signing starters first when we have the most budget to work with then if we need duds to round out the squad get them last minute where there are always plenty of Obika/Paton types available. 

Butcher is out injured for the few months of the season. That just leaves Kelly in terms of players we can rely on. The squad is as bad as it's ever been.

So basically you are saying that you dont trust the manager ???

Personally , I thought he did a great job since he came in .. obviously you have other ideas … each to their own

27 minutes ago, steelboy said:

The guy was unemployed and was poor or average in his appearances for us. If he's not happy to take a year deal to prove himself then he leave. 

As it stands he piss poor and injury prone and likely to be another contract like Morris, Maguire, Shields, Danzaki, McGinley where we are stuck paying guys who contribute nothing.

So how many of them did the current manager sign ???

Enlighten us please !!!

• David locked this topic