2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

So frustrating. I think last season must have been one of the worst injury lists I've ever seen us suffer and yet here we are only three weeks into this campaign and going down a similar route. It's a real shame Mika fell foul to a St Midden hatchet man, when Dunne put that sort of challenge in for us he always ended up out injured.

The next week or so is going to be interesting.

Biereth being out for 3 months is a huge blow.

He looked the real deal with the pace,power and finishing that we had been missing and would have complimented perfectly the other forwards we have at the club, taking away the unreasonable expectation being placed on their shoulders.

We now have a problem, and its one that will require to be addressed as we cant go the next 3 months limping by waiting on Biereth to be fit again.

Fletcher is an interesting one. I really like him as a player. He is a clever footballer who links the play well and brings others into play.

Problem is he has never been a prolific goalscorer and doesnt have any pace, so Im not sure he would be the answer to our problems.

Like others have said. We maybe considered him or even approached him, but the finances didnt allow us to follow it through. Thats why we have ended up with Obika, Bair and Wilkinson who, for me, are all there to fill the 2nd support striker role.

I think we probably need to see if there is another loanee out there similar to Mika, with pace and power. Otherwise we wont be able to stretch teams by going in behind.

Re McGinley, I think he should have played on Saturday and left the rest of the defence alone given it had been fine in the previous games. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but we made too many changes due to one player being unavailable. That says to me McGinley will be on his way as soon as there is a club that will have him.

Big problem is it only leaves us with Ewan Wilson fit. We will either need to get someone in there or just play the boy. He might need to sink or swim. That doesnt seem fair to him, but we would at least find out if he is good enough.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, steelboy said:

He was brutal on Saturday. Cost us the goal, positional sense was horrific and woeful on the ball. 

Bair and Wilkinson despite both scoring have been terrible as well. 

Bud, you can't judge a player after only one game. He has come from a different league, maybe doesn't even speak English and getting used to new players and formations.

I have no idea if he will turn out good or not but he needs to be given time

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MJC said:

That was classic Robinson team hatchet-man tactics. Hope Hibs pump them in the next round and they hit a bad slump in the league.

We werent that bothered when Bowman was putting himself about at Hampden.

It was a bad challenge, and its going to have a huge impact on us. But lets not be hypocrites......

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Bud, you can't judge a player after only one game. He has come from a different league, maybe doesn't even speak English and getting used to new players and formations.

I have no idea if he will turn out good or not but he needs to be given time

That’s my take on it too 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

It was a bad challenge, and its going to have a huge impact on us. But lets not be hypocrites......

I’ll be hypocritical about this if I want thank you very much.

We, us, Robinson and Bowman were roundly and loudly condemned by the media for that incident. You had Rangers greetin to all and sundry and Brendan Rodgers giving head shaking sermons about how his Golden Bhoys would need protection in the final. There’s no condemnation over this and we have lost a key player for a huge chunk of the season.

Quite simply, FUCK St.Mirren, Robinson and Dunne. A shower of cunts.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

There's a big difference between some rough stuff in the air and throwing your full body weight at an opponent's knees. 

It's karma for us because we brought the rats to Scotland but they are still way out of order. Robinson dodged his post match interview after Kettlewell accused him of targeting Mika which tells you everything.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

TBF I think he was just a clumsy big guy nothing sinister in that. But on the subject the guy that ended up with a broken beek in that game elbowed Moult in the face earlier in the game which caused him to get stitches right across his brow but that elbow was brushed under the carpet always annoyed me as that was a great game but all emphasis was put on that moment.

It was sad to see that challenge from Dunne, flew right into that challenge with the intention of taking the guy out. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MJC said:

I’ll be hypocritical about this if I want thank you very much.

We, us, Robinson and Bowman were roundly and loudly condemned by the media for that incident. You had Rangers greetin to all and sundry and Brendan Rodgers giving head shaking sermons about how his Golden Bhoys would need protection in the final. There’s no condemnation over this and we have lost a key player for a huge chunk of the season.

Quite simply, FUCK St.Mirren, Robinson and Dunne. A shower of cunts.

And didnt we love it when Rodgers et al were giving us it tight? We even spawned a term for it "Thunderdome".

It wasnt pretty, and it pushed the boundaries, but it made us competitive, and we lapped ut up.

Now Im not saying Im happy with Dunnes challenge. Its a very poor one indeed and the conditions played their part.

I dont doubt he has been told to slow Biereth down a bit, but Im pretty sure he wont be happy that he has put a fellow pro out for 3 months given the injuries he has had.....

2 minutes ago, pretzel said:

TBF I think he was just a clumsy big guy nothing sinister in that. But on the subject the guy that ended up with a broken beek in that game elbowed Moult in the face earlier in the game which caused him to get stitches right across his brow but that elbow was brushed under the carpet always annoyed me as that was a great game but all emphasis was put on that moment.

It was sad to see that challenge from Dunne, flew right into that challenge with the intention of taking the guy out. 

Aye Bowman done Cardoso in retaliation to the elbow on Moult. 

We should be looking to retaliate in kind when these pricks come to Fir Park or it's open season on our players with zero consequences. 

The tackle at 3 minutes?

It's really disappointing that he's injured for 3 minutes but that looks a fuckin great tackle to me. Firm and wins the ball. Chat about Dunne going in to intentionally hurt Mika or it being a red is wild.

6 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

The tackle at 3 minutes?

It's really disappointing that he's injured for 3 minutes but that looks a fuckin great tackle to me. Firm and wins the ball. Chat about Dunne going in to intentionally hurt Mika or it being a red is wild.

That's a shit angle of it. You could see at the game he intentionally slammed his knee into Mika's knee. 

Saying it's a great tackle is fucking idiotic. 

47 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

I'm sure Arsene Wenger said something about that a while back?

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, Robbos boy said:

2 wrongs don't make a right, a horrific tackle from a player that apparently is loved by many of our support, don't know why, hardly ever played. But then again were not one of the ugly sister's, so the matter will just die a death. 

Oh, I agree, 2 wrongs dont make a right.

Im only pointing out that the majority of our fans didnt see it as a wrong when we were doing it.

We lapped it up and praised it.

FWIW, O dont think Dunne is a bad guy. He runs grannies for their messages FFS! But he did make a very bad decision and the weather did the rest.

As a result we are denied a player who looked like he could be very important to our cause for the next 3 months.

Might be a good tackle 30 years ago but nowadays you can't fly in like that "win the ball" and in doing so endanger an opponent. Mikas out for 3 months, and not because of an unfortunate landing or otherwise, so there's no argument he wasn't endangered there.

Sickener but now we have to deal with it...

• Like 1

What a difference a week makes! Really energised and optimistic by Biereth's performance against Hibs but pretty devastated by his injury now.

Dunne's tackle was  out of control imo  and should have been a red  but it wouldn't have minimised Mika's injury, which we are somehow going to have to adapt to.

I suppose this is where a manager earns his corn.

• Like 1

Well with Bireth out for months we need another ST.

Still need a defensive mid

Still need a LWB if hes not going to play Ewan Wilson

Need n experienced Cb as we have no decent depth there

We've had an ok window so far but we 100% need at least 4 in 

• David locked this topic