2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

The Scottish Championship feels an obvious place to look and would think affordable (appreciate Utd may pay more)

Likes of Watt & Moult have 17 goals between them this year with Utd.   Both would be good enough to walk straight into our team. 

Similarly for this season I'd be happy with Kai Fotheringham Utd, Rauri Paton of Raith, the aging Bryan Graham Partick Thistle. 

A modest fee for likes of Rauri Paton who's scored 35 goals in last couple of years and is 23 years old looks like a decent type of player to go for and much better than Shields who was the last player we went for who'd only scored 8 goals for QOS. 

4 hours ago, Wellfan91 said:

One must ask if we are struggling to bring a striker in, why did we let Wilkinson go in pursue of first team football? He would play every week between now and end of season if we fail to bring someone in this window. Granted he was rotten but better than nothing!

Ffs come on .Read wot you rote again , slowly.

13 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

The Scottish Championship feels an obvious place to look and would think affordable (appreciate Utd may pay more)

Likes of Watt & Moult have 17 goals between them this year with Utd.   Both would be good enough to walk straight into our team. 

Similarly for this season I'd be happy with Kai Fotheringham Utd, Rauri Paton of Raith, the aging Bryan Graham Partick Thistle. 

A modest fee for likes of Rauri Paton who's scored 35 goals in last couple of years and is 23 years old looks like a decent type of player to go for and much better than Shields who was the last player we went for who'd only scored 8 goals for QOS. 

I wouldn't want Watt back. He fucked off and left us the first chance he got. All the badge kissing and then off he went. Wouldn't say the same about Moult but I don't think he's going anywhere. 

7 minutes ago, stv said:

Ffs come on .Read wot you rote again , slowly.

Completely agree. Nice lad but he was not better than nothing. He was also apparently struggling to settle in Scotland and I think Motherwell did the decent thing letting him go. 

Actually on reflection that makes me sound like I think he's a terrible footballer which isn't the case. I just think he struggled to adapt to the Scottish game and to being up here. 

1 hour ago, bobbybingo said:

His previous record means nothing to us now, and the fact he is our sole fit and available striker tells us absolutely nothing about him. 

He's a striker who is scoring goals. I thought that's what we're looking for right now?

Absolutely correct. He has been a success so far ie. improving with us , scoring with us and in the top scorers list (outside the old firm)that seems like a formula to agree he was a good signing by the manager.

Some folk just like to pick a target and just moan . 

11 hours ago, David said:

Yes, but there's only so much that a recruitment team and manager can do when they are recruiting players. From virtually every angle the Shaw signing looked like a sound piece of business.

He's 25 years old, Scottish and knows our league, he has scored 24 goals in our top division with Hibs, Kilmarnock and Ross County, and 23 in the lower leagues of Scotland. 

In fairness, he started two league games for us and scored two goals. In one of those starts, he came off injured after less than an hour and had been deployed as an attacking midfielder rather than a forward. As a sub, the most time he got on the park was 30 minutes against Rangers. 

Would it have been different had he gotten a run of actual starts? We'll never know. The stats would suggest he would have found the net for us, but he didn't really get much of a chance beyond coming on with anywhere from ten to twenty minutes to play in games.

I could accept criticism of how Kettlewell utilised him for sure, but criticism of the actual signing? Not so much.

and if he could decide to either pass or fuckin shoot then we would be 3 points in front of stj but he done feckin neither, anyway i beleive hes away back to barnsley for an operation

Adam Montgomery injured already is the rumour, anyone heard owt concrete on this?

6 minutes ago, Yir Elder said:

Adam Montgomery injured already is the rumour, anyone heard owt concrete on this?

aw FFS man when will our luck change  just when gent was moved up 1 and looking good, aw well he can play FIFA with obika

21 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Rumours on injuries have been on the mark up until now. If it's 3 months, surely he'll be back to Parkhead and the loan cancelled.

Given he's played for us and Fleetwood this season, he can't play for anyone else. Might take the view he's as well staying here in case his recovery goes quicker than  expected and he's available for the playoffs...

2 minutes ago, Yir Elder said:

Had it confirmed that he did his hamstring whilst running

ehhh is that not what players    run     jesus christ was he not warmed up properly, or maybe a directional change but even at that a hammy???????

If the news about Monty is correct, it means we'll not likely see any more of Gent as a left inside forward, which is a real shame as the two of them looked good together on the left against Alloa, and Gent was excellent in that more advanced position.

Furthermore, who's cursed us?

11 minutes ago, smiddy said:

ehhh is that not what players    run     jesus christ was he not warmed up properly, or maybe a directional change but even at that a hammy???????

It would astonish you how easy it is to get certain injuries. I got a grade two calf tear at a bootcamp when I was warmed up. Just a freak accident. It happens 

I think SK must have crashed a lorry loaded with mirrors!

If he/we didnt have any bad luck we would have none at all!

Pressure is seriously on now.

This window just got a whole lot tougher......

15 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

It would astonish you how easy it is to get certain injuries. I got a grade two calf tear at a bootcamp when I was warmed up. Just a freak accident. It happens 

but theve got big feck off proffesional muscles

29 minutes ago, smiddy said:

Think he's had previous regarding injuries unfortunately 

18 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

Kettlewell didn't say anything about it in his interview today. 

I can only assume he's keeping it quiet until the extent of the injury is known

2 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Playing Gent and Montgomery together was a gamble anyway and would have committed us to one up front which we know doesn't work.

but by feck it was exciting to see 2 yungyins working / playing together,    aw well seaside leagues here we co

unless derek adams has an other  derek adams type of shity meltdown

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Playing Gent and Montgomery together was a gamble anyway and would have committed us to one up front which we know doesn't work.

But we only have one fit striker at the moment, so it will have to be one up top and this severely diminishes our options.....

• David locked this topic