2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

1 hour ago, MJC said:

Noted. But it’s still pretty galling for us to be ‘gazumped’ by them by double and brings us back to the issue we face that fan ownership isn’t feasible for us as a club. This is just my opinion but I don’t see how we can sustain ourselves as a top flight and full time club on our current structure and as I’ve said before if and when we are relegated then part time football is inevitable for us. 

Every chance we will eventually be relegated. Virtually every other club around us has been in recent times, so it could just be our turn.

8 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

Is he match fit? 

Hasn't kicked a ball since November. Take from that what you will.

2 minutes ago, David said:

Every chance we will eventually be relegated. Virtually every other club around us has been in recent times, so it could just be our turn.

Hasn't kicked a ball since November. Take from that what you will.

I sincerely hope we won't go down. 

1 minute ago, wellgirl said:

The reason I've stayed away from Fir Park at times has nothing to do with being fairweather. It's genuinely been because I couldn't afford it. When I've had the cash to buy a season ticket I've always bought one. And when I can't go to a game I always offer my ticket out because I know what it's like not to be able to afford to go. 

I get that and I know that in modern times it can be hard for fans to fork out their hard earned week in, week out to go and support the team. Life happens.

But I’m not ‘having a go’ at fans who for whatever reason can’t go to the games. I’m more meaning those who could go but choose instead to spend their Saturday/or whatever at the pub or the bookies, or the bowling or the golf…all of which costs money too. I know a fair few Motherwell supporters who fall into those categories and I dare say others do too. Semi Finals? Cup Finals? European ties? They’re there. But run of the mill games against Kilmarnock on a Saturday and Ross County on a Tuesday night? Forget it. 

Like it or not we just don’t have a very good or loyal support with the exception of the small, faithful band of regulars.

• Like 2

Just now, wellgirl said:

I sincerely hope we won't go down. 

We are long over due it but doesn't mean it will happen. We just need to get the club stable again. Get some decent money for Lennon Miller and get ourselves sorted out. If we come through the next 6 months there's no reason to think we can't put the shambolic last 2/3 years behind us.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Perfectly acceptable no one should be putting money into the club if they can't afford it , the problem is there will be Motherwell fans who can afford it but won't go. 

Apathy, likely beginning during the Covid season and fully realised through the serial mismanagement we’ve witnessed since. 

1 minute ago, thewelllfan said:

Well that's why the folk in charge have to start making the right appointments so we don't have to sack them. Whatever idiot gave Alexander that new deal basically crippled the club.

Agreed. It should be very rare when we give a manager anything longer than a 12 month rolling contract, in my opinion.

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

Aye as I said it's a scam.

41 million a year to help poor kids in Paisley and you can guarantee most of the people who run it will be driving Range Rovers or BMWs. 

Not a scam at all. All legal and well found by St Mirren

The fact it riles you does not make it wrong. Maybe our Board need to be a wee bit more creative. Maybe they do have such an arrangement with local Charities? 

2 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Devine confirmed, welcome Adam.   No misplaced passes in first 45 mins or you will be written off.

Ps. Messaged my Gers mate and says he is good player and comfortable on left side also 

Where are you seeing this?

Just now, dennyc said:

Not a scam at all. All legal and well found by St Mirren

The fact it riles you does not make it wrong. Maybe our Board need to be a wee bit more creative. Maybe they do have such an arrangement with local Charities? 

It's a fucking scam. A legal one but a scam. 

Third sector spending in Scotland is £8.5 bn a year. Councils and the NHS only spend about £15 bn each. It's absolutely insane that the third sector spends 50% of the NHS total and there is zero scrutiny or oversight. 

10 minutes ago, MJC said:

I get that and I know that in modern times it can be hard for fans to fork out their hard earned week in, week out to go and support the team. Life happens.

But I’m not ‘having a go’ at fans who for whatever reason can’t go to the games. I’m more meaning those who could go but choose instead to spend their Saturday/or whatever at the pub or the bookies, or the bowling or the golf…all of which costs money too. I know a fair few Motherwell supporters who fall into those categories and I dare say others do too. Semi Finals? Cup Finals? European ties? They’re there. But run of the mill games against Kilmarnock on a Saturday and Ross County on a Tuesday night? Forget it. 

Like it or not we just don’t have a very good or loyal support with the exception of the small, faithful band of regulars.

My brother is one of said die hards (he's a bit better off than me). He doesn't go to Ibrox or Celtic Park but he goes to as many other away games as he can and he's always there at home games unless he's working. It is tough when you are skint. Practically impossible to get to a game if you are on benefits which I was on and off for a few years. I dont do away games for the same reason. Can't afford it 

4 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Devine just feels like getting a body in because Kettlewell is to much of a diddy to make any proper signings in positions we need. 

We have signed a striker. One you think is shite ..  but even so 

46 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Bollocks how often do fans need to be told the ground renovations were paid for by a twenty year £3.5 million interest free loan from the Scottish Government

That my friend is still a loss in the p and l funded by long term debt.
Still lost a million quid whether they borrowed it from the government or borrowed it from Taylor Swift.

28 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

We are long over due it but doesn't mean it will happen. We just need to get the club stable again. Get some decent money for Lennon Miller and get ourselves sorted out. If we come through the next 6 months there's no reason to think we can't put the shambolic last 2/3 years behind us.

I don't believe we're overdue a relegation. Yes we've looked vulnerable at times but ultimately we've prevailed and often finished the season strongly. I've seen enough of the league this season to believe we'll stay up. That said, if we don't get some regular investment from somewhere our future in the top division could well be under threat.

• David locked this topic