Motherwell v Aberdeen 01/11/2023

SteelmaninOZ

18 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

Two that I remember with fondness 

Hugh Sproat and Big Sieb.  

Any keeper willing to swing on the bar or ready to destroy anyone who came into his box is a winner in my eyes. 

That masked the fact that Hugh Sproat wasn't a very good keepr. Stuart Rennie, who Ally McLeod swapped for him, was a much better keeper.

• Like 1

Been offgrid for a few days so only just getting the chance to comment on this.

Really difficult to know where to start. But thats the kind of performance that gets a manager sacked if its repeated too often!

We seemed to be in control of the game for the first 15 minutes or however long it was, but their first goal is an absolute bombscare from our defence. Its a comedy of errors and an absolute gift to Aberdeen and gave them all the confidence they needed to start playing their football. 

After that I thought we lacked any cohesion and could barely string 2 passes together, not helped by the inconsistent referee who seemed to give a foul for every contact we made on an Aberdeen player while ignoring exactly the same challenges on ours!

Our defending for goals 2,3 and 4 was similarly shocking and players we have been able to rely on for most of the season lime McGinn, Casey, Miller, Spencer all had poor games.

SK has to ring the changes on Saturday. This cant happen again.

4 hours ago, pretzel said:

Then he left us with no choice but to play Stevie Woods again which is equally unforgivable. 

Absolutely. Woods just kept turning up like a bad penny during his nine long year stay with us. Numerous keepers came in, dislodged him as first choice then moved on and there he was again, as bad as ever.*

As for Howie he really came onto a game whilst with us and was even talked about for a Scotland cap. As I remember he refused to sign a new contract, went awol, couldn’t get a club then tried to come back before he was eventually signed by Tommy Burns at Reading.

*And yes, I am fully aware that Stevie Woods is now the top goalkeeping coach in the country having worked at Celtic for years and is no doubt a very decent guy who gave his all when he was with us. It’s just unfortunate that his all wasn’t near good enough and he wasn’t half as good at goalkeeping as he appears to be coaching it.