Motherwell v Aberdeen 01/11/2023

SteelmaninOZ

Mika was limping a bit on his injured knee as he walking about after the full time whistle. I doubt he has a start in him.

I think we will go back to the 5-4-1 with Miller coming back in and Wilkinson starting up front. I'd put McGinn out to RWB and bring in either Butcher or Blaney depending on who's fit. 

Try to keep it tight for an hour then unleash Mika. Luca Ross also gives us the option to go 4-3-3, Shaw and Bair should get used to sitting on the bench. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Miller to start and Wilko as lone striker. Don't rush Mika back

COYW

Maybe Grizzly maybe. I'm in no rush to see Bair and Shaw start again. Also, I agree about Mika and we don't know what Arsenal's "advice" is. Keep him off Killie's weed infested plastic pitch. As I see it Wilko is our number 2 striker and I'd like to see more of him. Not in the KVV class but he looks to have a goalscoring instinct and deserves a run of games. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Maybe Grizzly maybe. I'm in no rush to see Bair and Shaw start again. Also, I agree about Mika and we don't know what Arsenal's "advice" is. Keep him off Killie's weed infested plastic pitch. As I see it Wilko is our number 2 striker and I'd like to see more of him. Not in the KVV class but he looks to have a goalscoring instinct and deserves a run of games. 

Agree about Wilkinson - he's slow and doesn't have a great first touch, but more likely than Bair, Shaw to get goals. 

Per SK’s post match talk Beireth very unlikely to make an appearance till some time in the second half. Not sure about Butcher. Bevis has played some great games but mistakes have crept back into his game but can Butcher last 90 mins??  With Miller available again I’d start with 4 midfielders and Wilco or Shaw up front then set Beireth on them. 
Hope the pies are good since I’ll be at the game COYW!!!!!

• Like 1

Kelly

McGinn RWB

Casey, Mugabi & Butcher CB

Spencer LWB

Paton, Slattery & Miller in the middle

Wilkinson & Shaw up top

I don't rate Wilkinson so far but he's far more of a goal threat than Bair. Shaw has shown very little but is quick so might compliment Wilkinson. Spittal has been great at times but has been rank rotten for a few weeks now, Saturday in particular he was shocking so if it were up to me he'd drop out for Miller. I'd obviously have Mika starting but he's not gonna be fit.

I'll be very fucking disappointed if Bair starts up top alone and we go four across the middle.

5 hours ago, GazzyB said:

I'll be very fucking disappointed if Bair starts up top alone and we go four across the middle.

If this happens, it'll be clear that Kettlewell has entirely deluded himself with his ‘hanging my hat’ on the Bair project and isn't willing to admit he was wrong. I still can't believe we gave him a 2-year deal. 

8 hours ago, GazzyB said:

Kelly

McGinn RWB

Casey, Mugabi & Butcher CB

Spencer LWB

Paton, Slattery & Miller in the middle

Wilkinson & Shaw up top

I don't rate Wilkinson so far but he's far more of a goal threat than Bair. Shaw has shown very little but is quick so might compliment Wilkinson. Spittal has been great at times but has been rank rotten for a few weeks now, Saturday in particular he was shocking so if it were up to me he'd drop out for Miller. I'd obviously have Mika starting but he's not gonna be fit.

Can’t see Spittal being dropped, and despite being poor on a Sat I don’t think he should be to be honest. Also, I think we have to see Spencer at RWB, I think he could be a real threat going forward on the right. 

I’d go Kelly, Spencer (RWB) McGinn, Butcher (Mugabi if he’s not fit enough to start), Casey, Odonnell (LWB), Miller, Paton, Slattery, Spittal and Wilkinson. 

Not ideal having Odonnell at LWB, but I don’t think Gent looks ready yet. 

We would all want Mika starting but judging by what Kettlewell said I’d say Arsenal have a big say in how many minutes he’s allowed to play! 

56 minutes ago, couttsy said:

Agreed. Given the personnel available and the desire to play a back 3 with wingbacks, it must be SOD and Spencer in the starting eleven. Both are RWBs, but I imagine Spencer will shine on his natural side, and SOD has shown in the past that he is more than competent at LWB. We all seem to agree that Spencer is wasted on the left, so let's hope that Kettlewell agrees. 

• Like 1

I think a big part of our issue on Saturday was we lost our focus and effort level especially for goals 2 and 3. Although goal two was a nice finish the issue came  when our players all got dragged to ball and let the runner move into acres of space with no one tracking him. For the the third goal we switched off cause their goalie had the ball. This meant Gent was Miles away ffrom their attacker on the wrong side. At the same time Mugabi takes a few steps and manages to violate 3 principles of defending. He moves forward never going to close the ball down, gives upnacres of space behind him and leaves a player unmarked. Hopefully SK will get their brains working again for the next game. Also too many players walking or jogging instead of busting ass to get back between the ball and goal

6 hours ago, couttsy said:

Can’t see Spittal being dropped, and despite being poor on a Sat I don’t think he should be to be honest. Also, I think we have to see Spencer at RWB, I think he could be a real threat going forward on the right. 

I’d go Kelly, Spencer (RWB) McGinn, Butcher (Mugabi if he’s not fit enough to start), Casey, Odonnell (LWB), Miller, Paton, Slattery, Spittal and Wilkinson. 

We would all want Mika starting but judging by what Kettlewell said I’d say Arsenal have a big say in how many minutes he’s allowed to play! 

That would be my exact line up also.  Give Mika last 25 mins again.  We all want him to start but rush him back too soon as it will put him out injured much longer 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Not sure Biereth is Match fit enough to start, just back from injury it might take him a couple of games to get up to speed.

Agreed Allan. Hope I'm wrong, but all going well, I think it might be December before he's ready for a 90 minutes. 

• Like 1

Lots of suggestions about how we should or might set up, and not without merit. However, the biggest factor going forward is going to be the fitness levels of Butcher and Biereth. Neither are ready to start. Biereth was by his own admissions blowing out his arse after 30 minutes and Butcher didnt even make it onto the field. Its gonna be a few more weeks before either is a certain starter.

I think most feel that we need the 4 in midfield to help us control the game. No doubt that a midfield of Miller, Paton, Slattery and Spittal helps us keep the ball and allows us to dictate the play and pace of the game. Whenever we drop to a 3 the opposition tend to get more of the ball and thats when the mistakes creep into our defensive set up.

That leaves us either playing 1 up top, which we cant at the moment as the only striker capable of it whilst providing a goal threat is Biereth.

Alternatively, we could go 4 at the back. However, without Butcher in there, Im not sure thats a wise decision either. Casey and McGinn might make a pair, but It may also limit the ability of Spencer to get forward.

I think until Butcher and Biereth are fully up to speed we probably need to persevere with the 5-4-1. Id be interested to see Wilkinson up top to see how he is at bringing others into play. He seems to have a decent touch and on limited viewing appears to be a better finisher than Bair or Shaw.

Re the wing backs, I would agree that giving Spencer a go in his natural position is worth a go. If for no other reason than to give the opposition something different to think about. If we start with SoD on the left we could always revert back if it isnt working.

It would be good to get young Gent in there eventually but now isnt the time. We need some positive results before we start taking chances like that.

Aberdeen have a heavy schedule coming up and although they have some talented players, it doesnt seem to be working for them right now. Hopefully that continues into Wednesday night!