St Mirren v Motherwell 16/12/2023

SteelmaninOZ

2 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

We can get natural width from our wingbacks if we play the right ones.

But again there needs to be a sacrifice somewhere if we are to remain secure at the back. 

Spencer and Gent got to the by-line repeatedly on Tuesday night.

They should retain their places.

It’s what happens in the midfield when they go forward we need to work out.

I’m pretty sure they know what to do we just have to do it. When we turn the ball over you need to apply pressure on the ball to slow down the opposition attack or preferably win the ball back, high up the park. So in essence you have to move  up and down the field as a team otherwise it’s hard to put pressure on the opposition. We were doing a great job of that (playing as a unit) earlier in the season and it’s one of those basics that we need to re learn.  It takes concentration and effort and I think for our players they just have trouble applying that concentration and effort every week. Hopefully we find the trigger to get them back in that mindset very soon. 

• Like 2

On 12/11/2023 at 4:29 PM, joewarkfanclub said:

Having Spittal and Slattery in advanced roles playing balls into the channels for him would be playing to his strengths. He is strong and has pace to burn.

I think the 5-4-1 with the diamond would do that. We were able to control the midfield in those games. It was just a bit toothless with Bair up front on his own. Mika is different gravy.

If we accept we arent getting any of injured players back, I think we could do worse than start with this.....

Kelly (sic)

SOD   Mugabi   Blaney

Spencer          Davor               Gent

Slattery        Paton

Spittal

Biereth

Happy with that starting line up pal

Formations are obviously flexible, but on relfection what I was suggesting would look more like this......

Kelly 

SOD   Mugabi   Blaney

Spencer     Davor      Paton     Gent

Slattery     Spittal

Biereth

• Like 1

I'd be happy to go old school.  Have 2 defensive mids and 2 forward thinking midfield. 

I believe we need to be better at moving forward/backwards as a team and shoring up midfield is key to that. 
Additionally having Spencer and Gent hitting the bi-line and get crosses in.

Kelly 
Spencer Mugabi Blaney Gent 
            Davor.        Paton 
            Slattery.     Spittal 
                 Obika  Bireth 

Subs - Bair for either Slattery/Spittal 
           - Wilkinson/Shaw for Obika

• Like 1

It’s wild that we don’t have one single winger in the squad so we are restricted to 3-5-2 type stuff always.

It’ll be Mika and Obika up top but Obika has been awful and I’d much rather Bair or Shaw. As for the score, I really don’t see a win coming. Another late equaliser I guess. 

5 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

I'd be happy to go old school.  Have 2 defensive mids and 2 forward thinking midfield. 

I believe we need to be better at moving forward/backwards as a team and shoring up midfield is key to that. 
Additionally having Spencer and Gent hitting the bi-line and get crosses in.

Kelly 
Spencer Mugabi Blaney Gent 
            Davor.        Paton 
            Slattery.     Spittal 
                 Obika  Bireth 

Subs - Bair for either Slattery/Spittal 
           - Wilkinson/Shaw for Obika

Predicting sub requirements before the game kicks off ?? Do you know something we don't ?

What if we're 2 up with 10 to go ? Still going 3 up front ??

20 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Formations are obviously flexible, but on relfection what I was suggesting would look more like this......

Kelly 

SOD   Mugabi   Blaney

Spencer     Davor      Paton     Gent

Slattery     Spittal

Biereth

That's what I'd go for (unless McGinn becomes available)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AllyMax said:

Predicting sub requirements before the game kicks off ?? Do you know something we don't ?

What if we're 2 up with 10 to go ? Still going 3 up front ??

If we're 2 up with 10 to go I'll be too excited to notice what the hell we do.  

Personally think 2 forwards is the right balance and would be nice to see Slattery/Spittal further up where they add the most value. 

55 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

If we're 2 up with 10 to go I'll be too excited to notice what the hell we do.  

Personally think 2 forwards is the right balance and would be nice to see Slattery/Spittal further up where they add the most value. 

I agree with the team selection, just not the subs 🙂

• Like 1

After the defeat to Raith Rovers in the cup, we played St Midden on the Tuesday in a game that no one gave us a chance in. We all know what happened next......

1 hour ago, fizoxy said:

I'd also go with Paton in for Obika. Our best performances were with one striker, and Beireth can handle that. Also, with two wingbacks with actual pace I think it will be more effective.

Agree hundred percent. Gent and Spencer down the flanks though Spencer needs to improve from Saturday performance 

16 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

Agree hundred percent. Gent and Spencer down the flanks though Spencer needs to improve from Saturday performance 

Yes, we need to get more crosses from Spencer. Gent seemed to have more room/success than Spencer did last week. The more crosses we get in the more chance of scoring. Also, having St Mirren have to deal with wide threats should leave more room in middle. 

• Thanks 1

I won't be there tomorrow but will do my rallying cry and hope our support get behind the manager and lads tomorrow.  With a vocal support it can be a 12th man and please.....pleassseeeeee let's not boo players when they come on or at any time....how on earth that helps a player confidence I will never know ...... COYW 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's a funny one as Stephen Robinson seemed to set that trend with us where we were either sugar or shite for long periods with no in between but this has carried on with the likes of Alexander and Kettlewell, but it's a trait Robinson has also continued at Paisley. St Midden had a solid start to the season but they have started to stutter as of late, I think they have only lost once at home and that was against Rangers. No doubt it'll be a tough one but it would be tremendous to arrest our run against those smug pricks. I thought we were more robust last week but a brain fart cost us, hopefully we can eliminate these silly errors as I genuinely feel we have a decent enough squad. 

• Like 1

St.Mirren really are a detestable shower of odious pricks who have always been way above their station. The only good thing about them was their old ground at Love Street and that's long gone.

A win here would be delightful on so many levels.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MJC said:

St.Mirren really are a detestable shower of odious pricks who have always been way above their station. The only good thing about them was their old ground at Love Street and that's long gone.

If Faddy on sportscene tonight I will love it.....love it....if we win and he can wind up tight troosers Thompson!! 😜😜

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, MJC said:

I think we'll win today and by more than a single goal.  No clue why, maybe it's the rum in my hot chocolate but we deserve 3 points and need to bring this awful run to an end.

• Like 3