🏆SC Motherwell v Alloa 20/01/2024

SteelmaninOZ

3 minutes ago, real dosser said:

Think we learned today that the first two names on the team sheet should be Davor and Miller in the middle of the park. Performances have improved since Davor was given a run and he will get better with Miller beside him. 

This is my take as well. Those two combined really well today.. 

30 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

You're not happy that we won then. All the SPL teams toiled by the looks of it. Nice to see you giving SOD pass marks and Gent. But seriously. Kettlewell is thick and Kelly is a tit ..  and apparently Spittal is a shambles even though he scored yeah? Just as well everyone else doesn't agree with you. Was Miller a shambles too?

Thought butcher had a decent second half,seriously if butcher starts we will lose,if only football was that simple.

3 minutes ago, Stevie73 said:

surely has to be Mugabi’s last game, guys a nervous wreck, absolute bomb scare every time he’s near the ball.

It was Butcher that cost us the goal today and elsewhere this season Casey has been no better than Mugabi. Am I saying Mugabi is good enough? No but based on this season, of all our defenders probably only McGinn is good enough...

2 minutes ago, Benson said:

Thought butcher had a decent second half,seriously if butcher starts we will lose,if only football was that simple.

Quite. Tbh I personally think all we need is a quality striker and the rest will fix itself ... Hopefully 

2 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

Quite. Tbh I personally think all we need is a quality striker and the rest will fix itself ... Hopefully 

Agree,plenty of work to do but imo we will be ok,striker a priority,but finding one ain't gonna be easy.

Just now, Benson said:

Agree,plenty of work to do but imo we will be ok,striker a priority,but finding one ain't gonna be easy.

A lot of people don't like loans but I'd take anyone at this point who would bang in the goals until the end of the season. 

15 minutes ago, 2plus8 said:

Apologies if this has already been covered? But did the commentator on MFC TV say Obika is away to Southend? Or was that wishful thinking on my part? 

No, he said Wilkinson went to southend, instead of the other obscure team he actually went to.

9 minutes ago, 2plus8 said:

Apologies if this has already been covered? But did the commentator on MFC TV say Obika is away to Southend? Or was that wishful thinking on my part? 

Didn't hear them say that but I got a text from a mate (usually not to bad for story reliability) saying Obika is offski for an 'undisclosed fee'. I think thats the footie equivalent of yer maw telling your your hamster has 'gone to live on a farm' when you were wee 🙂

• Haha 4

By no means a perfect performance but the objective is to get to the next round and we did that.  Despite some of the comments during the game at no point did I think we wouldn’t win.  That must be the first goal Sammon scored at Fir Park and tbf if was a good finish aided by an uncharacteristic Butcher lack of challenge earlier in move.  Other than than an a weak header Alloa offered nothing other than some enthusiasm.  
We won’t be drawing St Johnstone or Ross County in the next round. 

1 minute ago, Jastons said:

Exactly. No one will remember his missed penalty 

His set pieces have been howling for months, yet SK keeps asking him to take them, but he did really well to score two lovely goals today. 

• Like 1

Leaving aside his goal, Gent was by far our best player today. Really good to see someone take the initiative and keep pressing forward.

Miller made a difference when he came on, thats another big plus.

Sadly the rest huffed & puffed but lacked any kind of quality. (Ok, Spittal managed 2 flashes).

First half for some reason we would not commit men forward when we are attacking. At most 2 men trying to support. The other 8 hanging back.

Second half to be fair to them we put a ton of good balls in the box. A number 9 would have had a field day. Big Theo is a trier, but he has no natural (or even learned) instinct, in where to go in tje box and get on the end of things. A striker really has to be a priority signing now.

Through to the next round so thats the main thing but we are not looking good right now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

We switched to a back four for ten minutes and in that period we scored and won a penalty. We missed the penalty and reverted to a back 5. Mind boggling. 

Bair made an arse of 4 sitters laid on a plate by Gent. The purple patch is clearly over. 

Gent played well and SOD was decent the rest of it a shambles. Callum Butcher is a busted flush and if he starts at Perth we will lose. 

Montgomery was a shambles .. ok .. you obviously know what you are talking about !!

6 minutes ago, wellfan said:

His set pieces have been howling for months, yet SK keeps asking him to take them, but he did really well to score two lovely goals today. 

I think Spittal is a very underrated player in the same way Slattery is. Both have had noticeable dips in form but we would be much poorer without Spittal in my view 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

I think Spittal is a very underrated player in the same way Slattery is. Both have had noticeable dips in form but we would be much poorer without Spittal in my view 

I absolutely rate Spittal and am glad we've got him, but he needs to stop hitting corners and indirect free kicks. Keep him to 25-yard screamers only.