Motherwell v St Mirren 30/03/2024

SteelmaninOZ

On 3/29/2024 at 7:51 PM, Kmcalpin said:

If we can score a goal tomorrow that would be an achievement in itself, as we've failed to score in all 3 meetings so far this season. Go for it. 

There was a whopping 4 goals in 4 games in this fixture over the season and 50% of them were yesterday.

Clearly two teams that cancel each other out.

On 3/24/2024 at 10:39 AM, wellfan said:

Looking at the previous head-to-head stats, current form, and injuries/fatigue from international duties, this game has a draw written all over it. 

As predicted. Dogshit FC v St Dogshit results in a dogshit draw. 

That was diabolical yesterday. I have bee a season ticket holder for 33 years. During the game i began to think is it really worth it coming along here very week. There was no entertainment yesterday. We hardly strung 2 passes together. Their goal was a joke. Misplaced back pass for a cheap corner. Halliday completely missing the header and the ball just seemed to hit their player and go in.

I could not bring myself to celebrate our goal. After Aberdeen when I was on my feet punching the air when Lennon scored I was waiting on a call for offside or a foul by Bair. 30 seconds after the event and only then was I sure it was a goal.

The life is being squeezed out of the game. Standard are poor with League 2 and National League clubs paying more than we can afford. Compensation for young player leaving has not kept pace with inflation so we are screwed again.

And to top it all we have VAR which is removing the instant thrill of a goal being scored.

Its more than likely I' ll be back for the Hibs game.

3 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

I thought the referee Matthew McDermid had a reasonable game yesterday but I was curious about his treatment of Hemming. He had a long word with him fairly early on in the game about blatant timewasting. Fair enough. However he then spoke to him again, but despite that Hemming simply refused to desist. Why not speak to him once and then bring out the yellow card. That would stamp out this practice.  

Any views on Vale's yellow card for diving? Not many refs issue them these days, despite it being a common malpractice.  

My view from the Cooper was that he went down under the slightest of contact, definitely not a penalty but that a yellow card was harsh, I've seen much more obvious dives go unpunished. Why referees don't book goalies earlier for time wasting is a mystery to me, Aberdeen's goalie was spoken to several times a fortnight ago, starting in the first half, and finally booked in the 93rd minute, one warning and then a card and it stops immediately. And I don't exclude Kelly from that statement.

As to the game, I think a point a piece was about right. Their goal was a joke from start to finish but they had a couple of other chances in the first half which could have put the game beyond us. I thought we were decent in the second half (compared to the first half) but seemed to lose all urgency once we equalised.

The defensive substitutions were baffling, especially as we were a goal down. Devine wasn't at his best, but taking him off for Bevis meant that the defence that started

Devine-O'Donnell-McGinn-Casey-Gent,

Became

O'Donnell-McGinn-Bevis-Casey-Gent

So 60% different with one substitution

O'Donnell's injury made it

McGinn-Casey-Bevis-Blaney-Gent

Only Gent finishing where he started, no wonder our defence is all over the shop, no settled back line over 90 minutes, never mind from week to week.

Oh, and I'm a happy clapper, so this isn't a moan for the sake of moaning

Not a bad point considering our form v St Mirren this season 

Top 6 not mathematically over yet but as long as we stay up which I think we will now 

16 points clear of Livi and they prob won’t gain much more points and go down 

Think St Johnstone and Ross County will battle for 11th and us and Aberdeen will avoid it 

36 minutes ago, grumpy said:

Only Gent finishing where he started, no wonder our defence is all over the shop, no settled back line over 90 minutes, never mind from week to week.

We desperately needed to sign a commanding and experienced centre-half in January, but we didn't and this type of situation continued to be the norm. It's not good enough and he's now got his third transfer window to sort it. 

Terrible game of football.

Thought we started brightly enough and created a couple of decent chances but it dropped off quickly and the goal we lost was typical of the mistakes we have been making all season.

That gave St Mirren something to defend and we really didnt look like we had it in us to unlock their defence.

Bair was awful yesterday and looked more like the player we had at the start of the season than the guy who was unplayable against Rangers.

It was a real shock when he actually got across his man to score the equaliser.

Tactically, I thought SK had it all wrong yesterday.

Vale and Spittal are 2 of our better performers and they were rendered somewhat impotent by where they were deployed (and having Vale so wide left Bair isolated.

Im definitely still in the keep SK camp, but once again his tactics and in game management were up for question.

Ultimately a point isnt bad in the circumstances but it was in spite of everything, not because of it.