Motherwell v St Mirren 30/03/2024

SteelmaninOZ

3 minutes ago, wellfan said:

Utter fucking dogshit. I hope you're all looking forward to watching more of the same under Kettlewell next season. 

I personally don't care. We got a point that we needed. You seem to use anything to have a go at Kettlewell. Would you rather we had got beat? If we were dog shit so were St Mirren. 

• Like 1

Happy with a point in the end but that was a poor watch. Our passing was deplorable all game and at times it's hard to recognise our team as a professional outfit. Devine had a poor game in particular but that's likely to happen with the young lad still making his way in the game. We never looked like seriously troubling them at any time after the first 10 minutes up until our goal - which I never saw coming. Fair play to O'Donnell who made the correct decision at the correct time to get us back in the game. I felt we lost a lot of our attacking impetus when he went off. As I've said before, survival is the main objective this season and we just need to accumulate enough points to limp to the end. That said, this standard won't do next season. Big summer on its way.

We have been poor and deserve to be where we are .

similarly st mirren have had lots of positive press but there’s little between the teams . If we’d won our previous head to heads with them we’d be in their position .

appreciate we didn’t but is does show the fine margins .  All of which is a bit depressing as it just highlights how poor quality the Scottish  game has become .

pleased with a point today - it’s at least a fair result . 

Started the game quite well but St Mirren got a hold of the match and their goal had been coming when they got it.

Thought the midfield of Zdravkovski and Halliday was really poor.  There was a spell when pretty much every player made a mistake as soon as they got possession.

Our launched balls up to Bair were predictable and although Bair and Vale combined later to get a goal they were pretty poor for most of the match.

Much like the Aberdeen game we didn't really look like scoring and it was a bit of a surprise that we did.

The one positive was that St Mirren didn't cause us too many problems considering we had a back three with two full backs in it.

Draw was probably the right result but it was a tough watch for long spells.

Take the point but that was a horrific shambles today.

St Mirrens goal was on us.

Halliday was brutal, and neither spittal or vale turned up.

The passing all round was shocking. My lad is only 6& him and his mill utd team mates are putting better balls to feet than what i witnessed today.

St Mirren, despite their lofty position were no better than us. Infact, i dare say if we had put some passes together we would walk through them quite easily. They are a strong workman like side but cant cope with crisp passing & a bit of guile.

Gent - standout performer!

Poor performance but you know what we got a point out of it. Some of the booing and shouts really do beggar belief.    Halliday very poor today and apart from goal Bair dominated by Gogic.

We have gained a point from saints and Ross co so not all doom and gloom.  We move on to next week 

3 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Our launched balls up to Bair were predictable and although Bair and Vale combined later to get a goal they were pretty poor for most of ..........The one positive was that St Mirren didn't cause us too many problems considering we had a back three with two full backs in it.

I felt sorry for Bair and Vale today. Theo has had better games but he did score the equaliser. Suffered greatly from poor service and lack of a strike partner. Also felt sorry for Vale. He was played far too deep and didn't really link up with Bair. 

Agree 100% about the defence. I had the fears when the line up was announced. We can get by with one full back in it, preferably McGinn, but not two. I thought that formation had been binned and rightly so. From start to finish we looked vulnerable in the air. Can only assume that Blaney wasn't fit enough to start. Hopefully we'll never see SOD and McGinn both play in central defence together ever again unless it's a dire emergency. 

Came home and thought about it as was a point that felt like a defeat. Thought both sides were poor and the goal we gave away was extremely poor. We again looked devoid of urgency or any attacking guile. It’d be nice to get a win or two before the split but I can’t see it. We desperately need a rebuild and an overhaul. Our recruitment team are certainly going to have to sing for their supper in the transfer window.

I was reasonably pleased with the result, if not the performance and would have happily taken a draw at 3pm. My expectations were modest and the script for the game could have been written 2 weeks ago. Results elsewhere made it a pretty satisfying afternoon.

On paper, the team line up looked reasonable, with the exception of the defence.  I’m not a fan of playing McGinn and O’Donnell in a 3 man defence and I really thought we’d ditched that failed experiment. If Blaney can’t displace a 32 year old wing back in central defence then the chances are that he’s heading out the door.  That line up lacked physicality, height and leadership.

We started off brightly enough but after the initial 10 minutes, struggled to compete against a physical, energetic and well organised St Mirren. Fortunately, for all their aggression and endeavour, they proved pretty toothless. ( I hope the BBC doesn’t read this).

The defence, from start to finish, was disorganised and allowed Saints too much time and space in and around our box. As expected, they caused us problems in the air. Although we created a few chances early on, it was no surprise when they opened the scoring with the obligatory gift; again schoolboy defending. Saints then shaded the first half. At times, it looked as though they had 14 players on the pitch.

I felt sorry for Bair and Vale.  The service to Theo was poor and he was often left isolated. Vale was played far too deep – just not his type of game. Bair and Vale just couldn’t link up. That tactic was a clear mistake and should have been changed early doors when it became clear it just wouldn’t work. Maybe one reason too why Spittal was anonymous? A clear case of managerial overthinking?   

Captain Hindsight here - at the break I’d have introduced Mugabi for either O’Donnell or Devine, Miller for Halliday and Nicholson for the anonymous Spittal. To be fair Saints had done their homework on him and snuffed him out.

After the break we did improve and shaded the second half. I was glad to see us break our scoring duck against St Mirren. The Nicholson for Bair substitution had me baffled. Why take off a striker and introduce a midfielder when we had Moses on the bench and we were chasing goals? In the main, I thought our substitutions were too late in the coming and somewhat conservative. Its not as if those on the field were playing well.  

Still, we just deserved the draw. Our performance was error strewn and we looked downright rusty. I absolve Bair and Vale from criticism for the above reasons. Spittal didn’t play badly he just didn’t play at all. Georgie Gent was my sole and clear contender for MOTM.  He caused Saints problems on the left flank all day with his surging runs.  

• Like 1

I thought the referee Matthew McDermid had a reasonable game yesterday but I was curious about his treatment of Hemming. He had a long word with him fairly early on in the game about blatant timewasting. Fair enough. However he then spoke to him again, but despite that Hemming simply refused to desist. Why not speak to him once and then bring out the yellow card. That would stamp out this practice.  

Any views on Vale's yellow card for diving? Not many refs issue them these days, despite it being a common malpractice.  

1 minute ago, Kmcalpin said:

I thought the referee Matthew McDermid hasd a reasonable game yesterday but I was curious about his treatment of Hemming. He had a long word with him fairly early on in the game about blatant timewasting. Fair enough. However he then spoke to him again, but despite that Hemming simply refused to desist. Why not speak to him once and then bring out the yellow card. That would stamp out this practice.  

Any views on Vale's yellow card for diving? Not many refs issue them these days, despite it being a common malpractice.  

I also thought he had a reasonable game, apart from failing to book Hemming. He generally let play flow and didn't dish out any silly yellows for good tough and fair tackling. I've not seen a replay of the Vale booking, but it looked like a blatant dive in real-time, and the ref was right beside the incident. 

This will be Big Bevis's last season at Fir Park. The manager was going mad every time the bold Bevis tried to dribble. Keep it simple, head it clear, boot it clear, but don't try to be fancy. Unfortunately he thinks he's a football player. So sorry Bevis, thanks, but cheerio.