Motherwell Vs St Johnstone 19/05/24

TheoBair14

8 hours ago, Happy Dosser said:

Oh,  please,  keep offering your opinions and living your particular   "dream" as long as you like but I do wonder how much of it brings you much positive satisfaction.

I'm sure you'll have quite a lot of scope next year for your negatively-loaded  views, given the inherent difficulties for a club of our size, irrespective of who is manager.

Plough on.

Wonder no more, as engaging critically with a hobby brings me plenty of positive satisfaction, and I’ll continue to do so, which will continue to piss off those who are unable to remove their rose-tinted specs and who love to try to belittle those with anything other than positive spins on reality. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Pretty much the result I expected, but not achieved in the way I envisaged it. I’m not overly fussed that the players hit the beach, but I was deeply concerned that our manager appeared to. That sent out the wrong message beforehand to the players.  St Johnstone were always going to be up for it and fortune certainly favoured the brave in their case. The game itself was a cameo of our season; losing cheap first goals; defensive calamities; throwing on 500 strikers willy nilly late on.  We took 3 points out of a possible 12 against St Johnstone this season. Let that sink in.

What concerned me most was the manager’s team selection and tactics. Going by the personnel he selected, it looked like a very ambitious attacking team, but the formation seemed to contradict that as it appeared to be very defensive. In other words, square pegs in round holes.  I thought at first it was a back four but then seemed to revert to a back 3 with Nicholson playing wing back, as Melvin Bragg suggests.  Nicholson was played out of position as was Paton and that made them look ineffective. Up front Bair was all too often left stranded and isolated. Our confused defensive formation was definitely a factor in St Johnstone’ s first goal. All so avoidable.

The subs too baffled me. I simply don’t understand Vale playing in a deep midfield role and SK is was not getting the best out of him there. I didn’t get the need to hook Lennon Miller nor bring on Callum Butcher. Just downright confusing. Clearly the players didn’t fully understand the set up either.

Like others, I would have understood if he’d stuck with our normal set up but maybe brought in a player or two who is staying or perhaps giving the likes of Luca Ross or Dylan Wells 10/15/20 minutes in the second half. By unnecessarily tinkering with the line up and tactics today and overthinking, he set the tone for the players not performing at their best.  

All these issues are part of much deeper concern for me. They indicate that SK is not learning from his mistakes.  That does not bode well for next season. Overall he’s done quite well this season given the constraints he’s had to work under like budget limitations; injuries; and having to work with another manager’s players, deadwood and all. He’s kept us in the Premiership finishing in 9th spot. He has a huge summer ahead in terms of team building.  If he continues to make the same mistakes, the fans will not be so forgiving next term.       

This a rounded and sensible post calling it exactly what it is. 

1 hour ago, MJC said:

Nothing new there, we are utterly hopeless in Cup competitions. 

If it was up to me I would make it clear to the manager and the players that from next season any cup exits before the Quarter Finals to anyone outwith the Old Firm, Hearts, Aberdeen or Hibs will result in a hefty fine for each and every one of them. 

I have Fraser Wishart on line one....

7 hours ago, robsterwood said:

If people are happy with 9th and no cup run. Whatever makes you happy. Yes we are all entitled to opinion. Some that have been to 91 final maybe have higher expectations. Some happy to stay up every year. I always hope for top 6 and possible euro place and possible cup run. The rest don't seem to be too much ahead of us though Aberdeen and Hibs will improve, So top 6 chances slimmer. Think Dundee over achieved and huge part of Thier form down to the Liverpool loan. We were unlucky in that regard with Biereth. Still think Loan market let's us get higher standard of player. Roll on next season.

When was the last time we had a good cup run? Quarter final in 2022? Semi finals under Robinson? 

10 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

The subs too baffled me. I simply don’t understand Vale playing in a deep midfield role and SK is was not getting the best out of him there. I didn’t get the need to hook Lennon Miller nor bring on Callum Butcher. 

Agree 100% re Vale and Butcher but Miller got injured when his goal attempt was blocked. So thinking he was subbed as protection?
I have no idea why Mugabi started or why SOD was not brought on instead of Ross when we needed to drive forward.. I actually thought Nicholson started ok but faded. 

4 hours ago, dennyc said:

Agree 100% re Vale and Butcher but Miller got injured when his goal attempt was blocked. So thinking he was subbed as protection?
I have no idea why Mugabi started or why SOD was not brought on instead of Ross when we needed to drive forward.. I actually thought Nicholson started ok but faded. 

Nicholson was quickly identified as the area for St Johnstone to attack; he's not a defender and it didn't surprise me that both goals came directly from that side of the pitch. Granted, the second one is a(nother) defensive howler but the initial move was down that side, too.

8 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

Nicholson was quickly identified as the area for St Johnstone to attack; he's not a defender and it didn't surprise me that both goals came directly from that side of the pitch. Granted, the second one is a(nother) defensive howler but the initial move was down that side, too.

Playing as a wing back Nicholson put in more decent crosses than Gent did on the day. Defensively limited as you say but I do recall him winning a few balls in his own area first half and he stopped a certain goal late by tracking back in the second half. I was more worried about Bevis defensively than Nicholson.

And teams always attack both our wide areas. Be it Gent, Sod or anyone else playing wing back. Sunday was no different.

Not that I see Nicholson as the answer.

6 hours ago, dennyc said:

SOD is no wingback! He does not drive forward, he has no pace and no dribbling skills. Typically he will punt the ball from his own half or half way line into the middle. If he gets by the halfway line he needs to stop as a nose bleed has  occurred.

4 minutes ago, Billy_S said:

SOD is no wingback! He does not drive forward, he has no pace and no dribbling skills. Typically he will punt the ball from his own half or half way line into the middle. If he gets by the halfway line he needs to stop as a nose bleed has  occurred.

Hilarious. Nonsense but hilarious. Welcome to SOL.

• Like 1

Looking at the goals the first one is a good ball and we are slow to close it down but Clark connects with it on the 6 yard line exactly where Kelly was standing 2 seconds earlier. 

Second one is incredibly dumb from McGinn but when he heads the ball Kelly is standing in the exact spot where the St Johnstone player scores from and again he goes into reverse gear for no reason at all. People blaming Bevis for that one are it.

Our goal is a great finish from Moses. He definitely has something about him or at least more than Obika and Shaw. That's him matched their combined league goals in 35 fewer appearances.