Left Side Of Midfield

DEWELL

After watching Jim O'Brian's howling performance yestrday at Rugby park i still wonder if we wouldn't be better putting Mark Reynolds in left mid in a Steven Pearson role as he has pace can play a ball to a team mate and once he practices crossing i believe could do an ok job for us. Move McLean into sweeper role which adds height to our defence and play Jim O'Brian on the RIGHT side as he's RIGHT footed. That would put Quinn at right back as he's PISH in midfield. Surely that would give us proper balance instead of having players looking like fish out of water and me tearing what remaining hair i've got out ma heid. :lol: .

Probably is, but I have not seen anything of anyone else (maybe Fizzy) who can play left midfield and give us the attacking threat O'Brien does. I think Hammell, maybe but he would take a few games to get use to playing further forward, which unfortunately we cannot risk.

I don't believe in this nonsense of lefties must be on the left and righties on the right. For one thing a right foot cross from the left is 9 times out of 10 more dangerous that a left foot cross due to it more than often being in swinging, give the defence more problems, and the attack more leverage.

What I would like to see is either Quinn working on his cross and being moved to right wing (unless we find a leftie who can cross) or moved back to right back, because as it stands he's not a winger, although I'm not saying he couldn't be with a pre-season under his belt if McGhee wants to go down that route.

Bottom line is though, this team beat Dundee United, so it does work, it just didn't (again) on Live TV

I don't believe in this nonsense of lefties must be on the left and righties on the right. For one thing a right foot cross from the left is 9 times out of 10 more dangerous that a left foot cross due to it more than often being in swinging, give the defence more problems, and the attack more leverage.
Only if you're not hitting the by-line and whipping them across (which is far more dangerous).

I agree with you dewell, only I'd put Hammell left mid, Reynolds left back and McLean or Quinn centre half and right back.

Been on about how good Hammell would be on the left wing for ages now! His delivery is superb and we get more from him playing in that position, and I think Reynolds would be exceptional at left back.

What I would like to see is either Quinn working on his cross and being moved to right wing (unless we find a leftie who can cross) or moved back to right back, because as it stands he's not a winger, although I'm not saying he couldn't be with a pre-season under his belt if McGhee wants to go down that route.

Quinn working on his crossing!!?? :huh::huh: He needs to learn how to pass the ball to a team mate first. Yesterday, he gave another Masterclass in how never to find a team mate with a pass! Its so bad and has been going on for so long that I wonder how he keeps getting played - in any position. :angry:

I agree with you dewell, only I'd put Hammell left mid, Reynolds left back and McLean or Quinn centre half and right back.

Been on about how good Hammell would be on the left wing for ages now! His delivery is superb and we get more from him playing in that position, and I think Reynolds would be exceptional at left back.

Didn't he play in midfield for a couple of games the last time he was here? I seem to remember him and paterson swapping positions for a a game or two.

That's actually the best thing I've read on here in ages. :angry:

Wouldn't move the back four about, for the simple reason it can cause confusement and un settlement. If injuries or suspenions occur then it's different, but the back four seem to be playing well enough together withiout chopping and changing it. For me it would be a straight swap so like for like. Depends what mcghee prefers, an attacking player who is willing to take on players or a player who adds stability and shape to the team. O'brien beeing the attacking midfielder and Fitzy being the player who holds the shape, a so called grafter. You could say Mcghee was trying that in the other side as quinn isn't the player who will at every occasion try to beat a player. i.e murphy, smith, and o'brien.

Has anyone got the stats for O'Brien playing on the left with regards to assists to him being on the right? You will probably see that O'Brien has been far more dangerous playing on the left than the right. In fact once again, stats will show our left side, being Hammell/O'Brien is our most dangerous side, with Hammell provding more assists than anyone.

Weeyin, I still believe, speaking from experiance as a keeper I shit myself more when someone hits an inswinging cross than a "hitting the bye line" cross. The defence have more chance of controlling their clearance from an outswinging cross than an inswinging cross. Only other cross that is better is the smash across the ground.

I say, as an ex-full back, that it's much easier to defend a ball that is swinging towards you than away from you.

Of course, if you are a Motherwell defender, it's a moot point. Any ball into the box is impossible to defend :D

That is complete and utter pish, any player or coach involved in the game will tell you that an inswinging cross is easier for a defender, with his back to goal, to deal with. It's the crosses from the byline that come in between the defender and the goal that are hardest for them to deal with, and easier for an onrushing forward to attack. The potential for an embarrassing own goal is always there with that particular ball.

Just to point out folks that if a winger gets to the bye line then everyone and their grannie is onside so surely that must be the most productive way to get goals. A whipped in cross between keeper and defender around the 6 yard box is by far the best way to get a forward rushing in on the end of it. We have John Sutton who will get goals if the service is there. Going on the outside also opens play up as against going inside where more often than not a player will run into a midfielder. We've tried McGarry left side(pish) Fitzpatrick left side(pish) Hughes left side(pish) and O'Brian left side(pish). A leftie would create more space going down the flanks. Remember Jim Paterson and the cracking crosses he used to deliver from wide left? And of course the late great Davie Cooper. :lol: .

I'd put Rab McKinnon at left back and 'The Cobra and Coyle' up front, but that ain't going to happen, so we have to make do with what we've got.

Now's not the time to experiment.

But yes, something has to change, for me Hammel is not the player he was before he went to Southend.

Yes, we are weak on the left!