Left Side Of Midfield

DEWELL

Just to point out folks that if a winger gets to the bye line then everyone and their grannie is onside so surely that must be the most productive way to get goals. A whipped in cross between keeper and defender around the 6 yard box is by far the best way to get a forward rushing in on the end of it. We have John Sutton who will get goals if the service is there. Going on the outside also opens play up as against going inside where more often than not a player will run into a midfielder. We've tried McGarry left side(pish) Fitzpatrick left side(pish) Hughes left side(pish) and O'Brian left side(pish). A leftie would create more space going down the flanks. Remember Jim Paterson and the cracking crosses he used to deliver from wide left? And of course the late great Davie Cooper. :( .

Spot on mate , sad to say though that amidst all the hoo ha about our pitch, the areas down both wings near the coners are the most lush.

Week in week out we play so narrowly , 9/10 times whn one of our players get the ball in wide areas they turn inside making it easier for defenders to crowd them out.

No matter what side of the park Jim O'Brian plays we can ill afford him putting in a performance like Saturdays. Without what Jim O'Brian and Stephen Hughes create, our only other chance of a goal is Clarky creating something for himself. Our midfield and full backs have to create more. Hammy has a great delivery from set pieces but I fail to recall any goals we've scored as a result of a Hammell cross from open play.

Amazing the slagging Hammell gets yet he is the only Motherwell play in the top 12 for assists. Two behind the leaders. I doubt, O'Brien, mainly from the left is now far behind with his two assists against Dundee United... from left midfield...

It also amazes me that the outswinging cross is by far more dangerous according to those on here, but every major club at free kicks, corners etc seem to prefer to use the inswinger. Why, because there is nothing worse for a keeper than a ball, and players rushing towards him, and when you're unlucky enough (as a keeper) for the ball to miss everyone it can, often, end in the back of the net without you even moving.

• 2 weeks later...

Smashing performance from Brian McLean yesterday dont you think and alongside Craigan in central defence looks sound to me and have to say Mark Reynolds did well too as did Hammell who are both LEFT footed. One at left back one left side of midfield. I've read in the papers that MM's boys read this forum. (hope you guys post as well) tell your dad that he did the right thing putting Krimpl in midfield and could he PLEASE do the same with Reynolds. :mellow: .

I don't understand the logic of putting Hammell or Reynolds on the left wing because they're left footed. Did Jim O'Brien not play left wing yesterday? And is he not right up there in the MotM poll? O'Brien does a superb job at left wing, Reynolds nearly moved to Rangers in the summer for millions because he's done a great job at centre half and Hammell has always been a left back. IMO those aren't the positions that need changed.

Actually Jim O'Brian who did ok yesterday was right side of mid 1st half when he scored and linked up well with Quinn. He switched in the 2nd half to left side. Have to say he's starting to look a player but thought McLean was solid in defence too so what do we do when Craigan comes back do we switch McLean to right back and push Quinn forward? Didn't work at Kilmarnock and i dont think Quinn's a good enough passer of the ball to be effective in midfield. I just feel that Reynolds at left mid would give us good balance linking up with Hammell who's came onto a good game now also and hopefully can start giving Naismith competition for Scotland.

I just do not get this obsession some people have with moving Reynolds from centre half.

He has no track record at SPL level playing anywhere else and as someone else said this is no time to experiment.

He's also been getting his confidence back and has looked pretty solid the last couple of times I've seen him, not the time to move him.

As for Hammell, again I just don't get the criticism he gets from an element of the support. Hammell left for Southport and we went from a Top 6 side to relegation candidates, with absolutely nothing coming from back to front. Everyone knows he has his defensive frailties but they are vastly over exaggerated by some and if anyone wants to name me a better left back in the SPL go ahead and name one. You'd think people would already have learned that if you take Hammell out of that team we lose something really important.

Rob McKinnon was a great left back, probably the best in my 20 odd years as a supporter but he was with us for five seasons. Hammell has performed well for nine campaigns, season after season after season and I think he deserves not just a little, but a lot more credit than he gets.

I just do not get this obsession some people have with moving Reynolds from centre half. He has no track record at SPL level playing anywhere else......

As for Hammell, again I just don't get the criticism he gets from an element of the support. Hammell left for Southport and we went from a Top 6 side to relegation candidates, with absolutely nothing coming from back to front. Everyone knows he has his defensive frailties but they are vastly over exaggerated by some and if anyone wants to name me a better left back in the SPL go ahead and name one.

When Mark Reynolds first broke into the first team it was at left back. At the time Terry Butcher said he could play centre back, left back or midfield.

I'm not Steve Hammell's biggest fan, but I do recognise that his strengths lie in going forward. He is defensively frail and must share a large part of the blame for the goal last Saturday IMHO. His clearance leading to the throw in could and should have been far better and quite a few Main Stand patrons recognised that. Before he left for Southend he was costing us goals and that hasn't changed since his return. If that sounds overly negative, its not meant to be. He has talent its just that I think its better deployed further upfield. Still Mark McGhee is the boss.