Is Claret And Amber The Secret To Success

Well-Made

Just been looking at the official site and have seen that Northern Ireland, Scotland U21's and the ROI U21's all won their games.

The common denominator?

All had a player playing in C&A in their team.

Maybe Burley should've started Clarky against Holland :lol:

Crags go his 40th Cap in the 3-2 win over Poland

Sheridan created the 2nd goal in the ROI's win over Spain.

Jamie Murphy started the game against Albania.

As an aside the U21's take Albania on at the Falkirk Stadium at 5.30pm for anyone that's interested.

Well done to all the players above.

There are too many players in the Scotland squad that aren't anywhere near the required standard and, sadly, Clarkson is one of them. Don't get me wrong - I'm a fan of Clarkson, but all he is is a decent SPL striker whose main asset is his workrate. That's great for Motherwell, but in the not-too-distant past, a player of his ilk wouldn't have got a look-in.

It also doesn't help that the manager has zero charisma and the guy charged with motivating the Scotland team to play for the lion rampant on their chest is English.

Frazzle

Totally agree with Frazzle.

Burley ain't the man for the job - we all know that, but I'm afraid it will take a humilating failure for the SFA to remove him.

And Clarkson, as much as I'm a fan, isn't Scotland material. With that said though, I'd much prefer him to play as a lone striker than diddy Miller - who isn't good enough for pub football.

Totally agree with Frazzle.

Burley ain't the man for the job - we all know that, but I'm afraid it will take a humilating failure for the SFA to remove him.

And Clarkson, as much as I'm a fan, isn't Scotland material. With that said though, I'd much prefer him to play as a lone striker than diddy Miller - who isn't good enough for pub football.

41 caps under several different managers disagrees.

While I would agree that Clarkson isn't an international class footballer, he has an international goal to his name unlike McCormack, Fletcher and Iwelumo. Two caps and one goal suggest that it might be more worth having him on the bench than any of those three. In an ideal world, none of these players would be in the Scotland team (yet, maybe in the case of Fletcher and McCormack), but we don't live in an ideal world, do we...?

Kenny Miller gets a hard time often undeserved and we know he isn't top class but he fairly suited to the role asked of him. I really don't know why he didn't get his shot away, he not a raw youngster. He timed his run superbly took a good first touch and then decided to take another two more? Will never unerstand it but to be fair it was a fairly narrow angle and by no means a sitter, just frustration that he should have at the least been working their keeper and didn't.

Agree with MB regarding Clarkson, I have huge doubts over his ability to do the business at international level but in the run outs I've seen him get so far he far from disgraced himself and produced one very tidy finish. He certainly got the work rate to do what Miller does and I'd argue he has a bit more about him in all round play if he were to be partnering someone.

Thought McCormack looked ok, certainly wasn't fazed but got brushed off the ball a bit to easily on a few occasions. Looked brighter than most.

Chris Iwelumo - 30 games 14 goals

Ross McCormack - 28 games 15 goals

These two guys are streets ahead of Clarkson just now, both are performing well in a high starnard of league than Clarkson and even Fletcher.

Clarkson has also hit double figures this season, 10 in 29 I think. He not playing at a top of the table team like Iwelumo neither does he hit the penalties like McCormack.

McCormack has certainly a wee bit more skill about him and Iwelumo is a bigger stronger player but Clarkson is definately not streets behind either. Iwelumo decent championship level player he is I'd jettion completely likes of Fletcher, McCormack and Clarkson are the future. Iwelumo has missed his chance.

Kenny Miller gets a hard time often undeserved and we know he isn't top class but he fairly suited to the role asked of him. I really don't know why he didn't get his shot away, he not a raw youngster.
Miller's goalscoring record for Scotland is pretty dire. Without checking the stats, I believe its something like 3 goals in the last 3 years. He might run around, but that doesn't win games. If management wants to presist with him, he at least needs a striking partner.

Chris Iwelumo - 30 games 14 goals

Ross McCormack - 28 games 15 goals

These two guys are streets ahead of Clarkson just now, both are performing well in a high starnard of league than Clarkson and even Fletcher.

You make a valuable point mate, but I don't see the sense in having both Iwelumo and Fletcher on the bench, as they are too similar. Clarky at least provides a different option.

Miller gets a undeserved hard time often. Aye, he should have scored in Amsterdam, but he does well in the role he is given. Also, I'd easily take him ahead of any of our(MFC) strikers. I'd like to see Miller and Iwelumo leading the attack against Iceland, although Iwelumo missed that howler, he did look pretty handy.

Well done to all Motherwell players involved.