A Point Gained Or 2 Points Dropped

East_Stand_Al

Another Draw  

87 members have voted

1. 1. 1 point gained or 2 points dropped

• Point Gained
    • 2 points lost
  2. 2. Can we still make top six far less europe ?

• Yes
    • No

The manager said in his interview after the game said it was a point gained, I disagree entirely it was quite possibly the most important 2 ponts lost this season.

From the BBC site

Motherwell manager Mark McGhee:

"I think it's a point gained. Maybe on the balance of the game we should have turned it into a victory.

"We've played well and with good energy at this stage of the season, which bodes well for the last seven games.

"I think with two games to play we're still in the mix for a top-six spot.

"We've Rangers away and St Mirren at home and I think four points will give us that top-six finish. "If we make that we'll still have a chance of making the top four judging by the way the points have gone.

"We know we still have some work to do but given the problems we had in December to be on the cusp of the top-six is still not a bad achievement."

What does everyone else think ?

It's definitely 2 points dropped and with the draw against Killie last time out I think we have blown our chance for the top 6.

If we'd won both those games we'd be breathing down the necks of Heart and in good position for 4th place.

I don't see us taking anything from Ibrox next week and I'm hoping that Hibs won't get anything when they face Rangers.

This puts the St Mirren game as being the deciding factor. We are already 2 goals worse off than Hibs so we have to mke them up against St Mirren as well.

The Rangers game could make that goal difference worse (hopefully better) and we'd be hoping for Rangers to hammer Hibs.

It's been a good effort since Xmas but I think we're going to come up short of the line. The dropped points at Killie have come back to haunt us already I fear and today's has just compounded that result.

If we'd been 2 points ahead of Hibs today then we'd have been in pole position and I'd be positive of making the cut.

I am going by my head here and have put down my true thoughts. Believe me though that I really hope we pull something out of the hat and take at least a point next week.

I'm afraid I blame the manager. As soon as Aberdeen went to ten men, he should have brought on Sheridan and Murphy and taken off Sutton as well as McGarry, and went for the three points. Instead he pissed about and didn't make his substitutions until it was too late. Definately two points thrown away.

I'm afraid I blame the manager. As soon as Aberdeen went to ten men, he should have brought on Sheridan and Murphy and taken off Sutton as well as McGarry, and went for the three points. Instead he pissed about and didn't make his substitutions until it was too late. Definately two points thrown away.

Can't really blame him for the subs today. I think he was ready to bring Sheridan on for McGarry\Sutton when it became clear that DC had an injury. I think that's why they left Sheridan standing stripped for 5 minutes to see if DC would run it off.

As for McGarry, Sutton had the chance to play him in and decided to go for goal instead.

working so can't really comment on performance

but from afar to me its a point gained, just that being so close to the cut off makes it seem like a missed opportunity - if you get my drift

Obviously every point won contributes to the total, so another point today is most definately positive.

If you want to look at points lost look back to the run from November into December :)

Falkirk 1 - 0 Motherwell

Motherwell 1 - 4 Hibs

Aberdeen 2 - 0 Motherwell

Motherwell 0 - 2 Kilmarnock

Hamilton 2 - 0 Motherwell

thats where we dropped points a couple of draws in there might very well have meant we were already secure in the top six.

Guess what I'm saying is every point won is much more positive than negative :):)

Oh and if we're tied on points, does it really get decided on League goal difference? or is it head to head results then head to head goal difference???????????????????

Given the balance of play, how many chances we created, not to mention how poor Aberdeen were, its definitely two points dropped for me.

Having said that, I feel we can still make the top six and at least push the European race to a thrilling conclusion.

Definitely 2 points lost. MM can sugar it up all he likes but we've seriously dented our top six chances big time over the last couple of games. We should've walked that game today with the chances we had against a very poor Aberdeen side.

PS Still haven't seen Motherwell win all season! ;)

For what it's worth, I think the momentum was lost even before Aberdeen were reduced to ten men. When Aluko was brought on and Aberdeen changed their shape, they suddenly had control of the game. A case could have been made at that point for bringing on Fitzpatrick for McGarry in order to try and shut off some of the space in midfield. But nothing was done.

Like or loathe Calderwood, one thing he is capable of doing is changing the shape of his team if things aren't working. McGhee has his qualities, but he seems to lack the ability to change the shape or emphasis of his team during a game. That failing cost us two points today, and quite frankly had Aberdeen not been reduced to ten men, it could have cost us three.

Top six is pretty much gone for us, and Europe is a pipe dream. We now have to concentrate on planning for next season. Maybe time to see more of Jamie Murphy and others, in order to see if they have what it takes to cut it in the first team or try some different formations. We won't go down so what do we have to lose...?

Top six is pretty much gone for us, and Europe is a pipe dream. We now have to concentrate on planning for next season.
I'm glad you're not the manager. I think it might be more prudent to plan for next season if (and only if) we don't make it to the top six. Hibs are as likely to screw things up as we are, and I don't hear the fat lady singing quite yet.

If you want to look at points lost look back to the run from November into December ;)

Falkirk 1 - 0 Motherwell

Motherwell 1 - 4 Hibs

Aberdeen 2 - 0 Motherwell

Motherwell 0 - 2 Kilmarnock

Hamilton 2 - 0 Motherwell

thats where we dropped points a couple of draws in there might very well have meant we were already secure in the top six.

Very true. If we fail to make the Top 6 (and I still think we have a reasonable chance) it wasn't yesterday that was the problem it was the November/December period. One win in that poor run would probably have put us in the Top 6. Losing to three of the relegation fighters just wasn't good enough. In comparison a draw against Aberdeen was a pretty good result!

I think we need to remember that after Accies game at end of December we were facing relegation in the face and we have dome a great job clawing ourselves back up the table even to be in this position. As for the next two games I think it all hindges if we can take anything from Castle Greyskull, as hibs have got them at home the following week.

Next week its all or nothing, as you would think both us and hibs will beat St Midden !!

Aberdeen are above us. They are a bigger club.

Its a point gained.

Point closed.

You'v really no got a fucking clue about fitba at all do you? Aberdeen are above us and perhaps they are a "bigger" club (whatever the fuck that means as outside the OF there isnt much to choose from) but those two things are totally irrelevant when it comes to yesterdays game. We were by far the better team and shouldve scored two or three in the first half. Aberdeen came back into it a bit after the break but after their goal they offered nothing at all, its definitely two points dropped.

Stick to your quality one liners on compost corner, this bit of the board is still quite good.

I think next week's games will play a far bigger part in this than yesterday. Say we go to Ibrox and get a result, even a draw, then St Mirren end up turning over hibs at Paisley. The whole thing completely turns in our favour. St Mirren have yet to lose a game at their new ground, and have managed to turn over us and Celtic in the process.

Hibs getting any sort of result is not likely. Anything less than a win for hibs would be a disaster as they would realistically be going in knowing they have to beat Rangers.

Still think we have the best run in!

2 points dropped yesterday and 2 points dropped a fortnight ago up at Rugby Park. Not good enough to be honest. If we had up'd our game in the first half we could've got another 1 or 2! They were gash but came on to a game in the 2nd and got the equaliser. But once again we fail to capitalise on a 1 goal lead!

You'v really no got a fucking clue about fitba at all do you? Aberdeen are above us and perhaps they are a "bigger" club (whatever the fuck that means as outside the OF there isnt much to choose from) but those two things are totally irrelevant when it comes to yesterdays game. We were by far the better team and shouldve scored two or three in the first half. Aberdeen came back into it a bit after the break but after their goal they offered nothing at all, its definitely two points dropped.

Stick to your quality one liners on compost corner, this bit of the board is still quite good.

Haha.

Anyone who was at that game knows that other than the first and last ten minutes the game was a horrid and unattractive display of football. We were better in the first half, sure. However, when Aluko came on Aberdeen looked far more likely to score than us and they did.

I see it as a point gained as Aberdeen threatened to grab a victory in the dying minutes, thats certainly how I felt yesterday. So I left the game feeling it was a point gained.

Thanks for your quality post.

I wasnt at the game, null vote.....

Wait, McGarry. Was tireless in the first 30. When he fell out of the game, we seemed to stop trying.

Haha.

Anyone who was at that game knows that other than the first and last ten minutes the game was a horrid and unattractive display of football. We were better in the first half, sure. However, when Aluko came on Aberdeen looked far more likely to score than us and they did.

I see it as a point gained as Aberdeen threatened to grab a victory in the dying minutes, thats certainly how I felt yesterday. So I left the game feeling it was a point gained.

Thanks for your quality post.

Aberdeen were there for the taking, especially after they went down to 10 men, so it's definitely two points dropped.

Unfortunately I reckon we might have blown our top six chances yesterday, though I'd obviously love to be wrong.

It is totally two points dropped. Aside from the fact we were 1-0 up at home, against anyone not getting the win is two points dropped!!

We have blown the top six as far as I am concerned. Hibs only need to match us and given they have two winnable ties and we only realisticly have three points up for grabs (we will get pumped at Ibrox, as per the last 10 years).

The worst of it is we will lose Hughes and Kilimpl too, they will only stay on if we get Europe.

Poor show, a big chance to build on our success is almost fucked.