In's And Out's

AndyRoss

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im really excited about next season, its anyones guess where we finish but i think come the start of the season we will be in an enviable position compared to Falkrik, Hamilton, Hibs etc.

Agreed mate. I think with the team we could potentially have and the system we're playing now puts us in line for a great season. If the defence is up to par and we get a 2nd striker to rotate with Sutton. Overlapping full backs, natrual wingers who can actually cross a ball. It all looks good.

I havent been this exicted preseason since the Malpas era.

And before anyone starts we had a strikeforce of Elliot, McCormack, McDonald and Clarkson which looked good on paper :D

2 signings, a winger and a centre mid. Chuffed already but now all we need is a centre half, a right back, another centre mid and 2 strikers...oh and maybe a goalie.

Although we may not know much about any of the new players, from what we've heard it does sound promising. Like many have said, exciting times ahead.

2 signings, a winger and a centre mid. Chuffed already but now all we need is a centre half, a right back, another centre mid and 2 strikers...oh and maybe a goalie.

Think you are pretty much spot on with what we require, albeit I'd say a goalie is a must and we may have to make do with just the 1 striker.

Im really excited about next season, its anyones guess where we finish but i think come the start of the season we will be in an enviable position compared to Falkrik, Hamilton, Hibs etc.

Agreed mate. I think with the team we could potentially have and the system we're playing now puts us in line for a great season. If the defence is up to par and we get a 2nd striker to rotate with Sutton. Overlapping full backs, natrual wingers who can actually cross a ball. It all looks good.

I havent been this exicted preseason since the Malpas era.

And before anyone starts we had a strikeforce of Elliot, McCormack, McDonald and Clarkson which looked good on paper :D

Although we may not know much about any of the new players, from what we've heard it does sound promising. Like many have said, exciting times ahead.

What a difference a couple of weeks makes from the doom and gloom surrounding this site at he beginning of June...!!

:P:D

we've still got a long way to go in terms of new signings. this boy humphrey is a total shot in the dark and has only scored two goals in his career. add that to o'brien who has one (heavily deflected) and mcgarry who's goal scoring record is abysmal and it's obvious we need more a goal scoring threat.

gannon looks determined to play his 4-2-3-1 and right now i'd accept a back four of saunders-craigan-reynolds-hammell on the opening day. lasley and the new guy jennings cover the two in front of them. ahead of that we're struggling, for me mcgarry and sutton aren't capable of playing the roles they had last thursday in the spl. we've signed a right winger which is jim o'brien's best posistion and he doesn't perform as well on the left and you wouldn't want to play slane week in out so soon. for me the pivotal task for gannon is getting quality players in to play through the middle, hopefully JB will give him some cash to bring in a couple of players in the porter/hughes class for these roles.

(goes without saying we need a goalie as well)

if we're playing 1 up front we need a kenny miller type rather than a kris boyd.

if you think we'll be succesful next season playing a "penalty box striker" up front on his own you're mad. we'll need someone who can run the channels and hold the ball up, it'll be 4-2-3-1 formation that'll quickly changes to a 4-5-1 when we're under the cosh (which history suggests will be often).

4-2-3-1 is a formation that is all in name a 4-2-4 in attack. The central player of the three "attacking midfielders" is the second striker. While the wide men are wingers of a normal 4-4-2. What we will need is to make sure whoever the 2 midfielders protecting the back four are the fittest of all players, as they will need to cover all areas of midfield, be it through the centre of wide areas. That's why a lot of teams that play the 4-2-3-1 formation seem to use strikers/forwards for the front four positions a lot

How is Sutton not able to play the Penalty Box Striker, which a 4-2-3-1 caters for? :notworthy:

Not for 90 minutes of 38 League games, Two cup runs and Europe he isnae.

There isn't one other number 9 'Centre Forward' in the entire squad so we definately need one. Next essential signing for me actually.

Last week is the best I've ever seen Sutton play in a Well shirt, but that was against Welsh part-timers. I don't fancy us having to rely on Sutton as the pivotal point in Gannons formation as he's just not got the mobility, awareness or guile of a Porter-esque player and I'm pretty sure Paddy Swayze will be looking for another central striker on his shopping list.

4-2-3-1 is a formation that is all in name a 4-2-4 in attack.

i take that your in depth reading of every fitba forum in the western world doesn't actually leave you much time to actually watch motherwell? 4-2-4, are you ossie ardilles? :notworthy:

so we're going to go easter road, tynescastle, pittodrie and tannadice and play with 4 all out attacking players, we'd get murdered. even at the pinnacle of mcghee's attacking football the 4-3-3 was actually a 4-5-1 a lot of the time, with clarkson and mccormack dropping back and even porter taking a turn. this season isn't going to be any different from any other in the spl, we might be able to play good football some of the time but a lot of what we do will be dependent on our ability to scrap and work hard as a team.

i take that your in depth reading of every fitba forum in the western world doesn't actually leave you much time to actually watch motherwell? 4-2-4, are you ossie ardilles? :notworthy:

so we're going to go easter road, tynescastle, pittodrie and tannadice and play with 4 all out attacking players, we'd get murdered. even at the pinnacle of mcghee's attacking football the 4-3-3 was actually a 4-5-1 a lot of the time, with clarkson and mccormack dropping back and even porter taking a turn. this season isn't going to be any different from any other in the spl, we might be able to play good football some of the time but a lot of what we do will be dependent on our ability to scrap and work hard as a team.

In all fairness we have a new Manager, new players so why not a new style? Why couldn't it be a 4-2-4 ? If we are good enought at that style why would we get murdered? You never know in football.

I said in attack. But saying that most set formations (like 4-4-2) tends to turn into a 4-2-4 in attack, but you will find our wide players of the front 3 of the midfield will be more offensive minded. While the central midfielders that will be protecting the back 4 will all be defensive minded, and be asked or more likely forced to defend all areas of the park.

Again we won't be playing a 4-2-4, I think Gannon has already mentioned his favourite formation (or shown at least) is 4-2-3-1 (if anyone cares to note, it's the same formation Barcelona used to great effect in the Champions League - but their attacking formation turned into 2-1-7 :notworthy:

Excellant

Welcome to Fir Park Chris. I like the route that JG is taking with his signings, young keen, hungry footballers who want to prove a point. A 3 year deal, thats what am talking about, two great full seasons and then sell for £1m back down south.... cha ching.

I'm loving this pre season.

You boys should watch what u say about the knew signing im seen him play about 20 odd times and he is versitile fast mobile and certainly not pish this will probably be the best signing Jim Gannon will make as if we do proggress in europe he will run rings around the best of europes players on a gd playing surface like the new well pitch good luck to him and y if hes here for 2 years we can then shift him 4 around 1 to 2 million

right no matter what formation we play there will be a lot of times when we're on the back foot and firing the ball up to the striker(s) for them to take the pressure off. mcdonald, porter and clarkson were all excellent at doing that, john sutton as he showed in nancy isn't.

we need a guy up front who's going to offer more than scoring one goal every three games and very little else, especially if he's going to have a load of youngsters playing around him. last season in the spl after his wee goal spurt at the start sutton managed five goals (an empty net at ict, one when his marker was off the park against united, a stevie woodsesque screamer against the h**s at ibrox and two tap ins in dead games) and his general play was shocking. in the games that counted he managed two total gifts. he might be a useful player with someone beside him to graft for him but depending on him as a lone striker is a recipe for disaster.

You boys should watch what u say about the knew signing im seen him play about 20 odd times and he is versitile fast mobile and certainly not pish this will probably be the best signing Jim Gannon will make as if we do proggress in europe he will run rings around the best of europes players on a gd playing surface like the new well pitch good luck to him and y if hes here for 2 years we can then shift him 4 around 1 to 2 million

i thought it was decided after roadrunner that players' maws weren't allowed to post?